Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
8,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering from those that have done it............how do the rabbits fair in a hutch outside during the coldest parts of winter? its going to be in the 20's here for a while.

we are going to put tons of cedar bedding in their house.

just wondering if i should consider making a winter hutch in the basement where it is 40 degrees all winter/no wind. would thier poop smell a lot or not much?

thanx!!

·
homesteader
227 Posts
Oh yah trixie, they stink. Does not take long either. Even if you clean up after them a couple times a day, it stinks.

Mine live outside year round. They are protected from the weather on 3 sides year round. In the cold weather, I put a tarp up on the open side to protect them from the worst of the winds. I've tried giving them straw but all they do is eat it, scatter it and knock it out of the hutches.

·
Bleach blonde on fire :p
6,173 Posts
No cedar!! I repeat no CEDAR!!!!!

Cedar shavings should never ever be used for rabbits. When their urine mixes with the cedar it creates vapors that can cause respiratory infections and even death to the rabbit.
Stop using the cedar NOW!!

Use pine bedding and put a tarp around the cage to keep the wind off and they will be OK.

If you put them in the basement put a box with worms underneath to catch the droppings, less smell. I f you place the worm bin in another bin and drill holes in the worm bin the urine will drain into the bottom bin and can be thrown out as it fills. The urine is what smells not the poo.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I went out rabbit hunting this sunday and it was 5 below zero with snow falling. Bunnies were everywhere playing in the snow. While your domesticated cousin rabbits may be a bit more iffy in the cold, they should be fine. I do know that rabbits don't like wind and wet so I don't bother to try hunting them then as they're all snug in their dens. I would assume likewise with the domestics: protect them from wind and give them a snug place to hide and they'll be fine in all but the most extreme conditions.

·
Banned
9,119 Posts
i use lots of straw bedding and keep the wind out.
we get temperatures of -55c here.
your bunnies will be sipping maitais with little umbrellas by comparison.
heck, the temperatures you folks are talking about are t-shirt temps here.
it`s -20c right now. a beautiful winter day!

·
Banned
2,956 Posts
Got a garage? Put them in the garage. It would be better than the basement. You could offer supplement heat during the coldest, most bitter times.

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
Keep 'em dry and keep out the drafts from cold northern winds and they will do just fine. I do throw some bedding straw in the hutch boxes just for extra measure though. I too use a trap over the front of the Hutches with a 2 x 2 on the bottom for weight so it doesnt whip up in the wind. This usually works very well and can just be flipped up real quick for feeding and watering. Biggest problem I have is keeping the waterers from freezing.

As fas as bringing them inside...you might get away with a pet rabbit in a good set up with freaquent cleaning, but much more than that and your asking for oder problems.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I raise californian and newzealands. always kept outdoors never lost one to the cold but it rarley gets below 20 here. I have only lost several to the heat.
just my 2 cents

·
My Temperature is Right
5,578 Posts
I never lost any due to cold either just protect them from wind and give them plenty of nesting straw. Make sure you bust up the ice in the waterer a couple of times a day. The get really get off a dried clover about now too.

·
Registered
738 Posts
We raise angoras nothing is too cold for them. But we do have a lion head that we put hay bails around the bottom and put worms so the smell doesn't rise up through the cage. 1/2 the cage has wood walls and the other half just wire. In the daytime he's usually in the side with wire walls. He does go into the hutch half at night. I don't keep hay under him or the pellets won't fall through the holes. My biggest problem is the waterbottles freezing and if they freeze before they're half empty they explode and you have to replace them. I may drill holes this year in the hutch side and hang it in with the rabbits maybe the body heat will keep it from freezing.

·
Banned
9,119 Posts
lunatic covered it.

We used a flap similar to his for drafts.

You have to keep the water from freezing.
i've never worried about that.
in the winter, livestock on our farm live on snow for water.
it's been -40 the last few days, so keeping water from freezing is not possible.
again i stress, livestock is tougher than you think.
good bedding and no wind is still the key.

·
"Through a glass, darkly"
1,948 Posts
Temps here in the winter reach -20F quite often. My hutches are only open in the front. I use carpeting as a drop cloth because of its weight, but I've only had to drop them twice in 9 years due to wind.
I use standard plastic water bottles with metal drip tubes. Never had a problem with rabbits vs the metal. I have 2 bottles for each rabbit, and during the coldest weather I switch the bottles out 2x daily. They freeze, but don't burst.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Biker
With our hutch, no snow would get in past the flap. Our only option was to replace the water a few times a day with fresh water. This is what I ment by keep the water from freezing. Like you said, the water will freeze.

·
"Through a glass, darkly"
1,948 Posts
Rabbits will drink from a bowl, if that's all they have. For adult rabbits, one might consider a heated dog dish. I haven't tried it, but I've used it for chickens. I would make sure the rabbit has something to chew on, besides the cage walls, because the next in line would be the plastic bowl. :xeye:
I found my rabbits liked cherry branches more than the mineral and salt wheels.

·
Banned
8,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
my rabs WONT drink from a waterer. only from a bowl. we have to change it daily cuz it freezes.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts