Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
20 gauge for anything
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I go rabbit hunting Should I take a 20 gauge or a 22 cal. pump action.
22s are awesome for picking of a rabbit in the head but 20 gauges use spread shot which you're bound to hit the target. 22s weigh so little as well. Thanks for your opinions. :)

·
Getting Ready
1,025 Posts
bring both.

my rabbit hunting is limited but when i went out, i had the 20ga 870 my buddy had a .22-250.

i was close range he was long range, worked out pretty well.

T

·
Premium Member
2,025 Posts
I am not a very experieinced bunny hunter, but have had success with 20 gauge using #4-7 shot. I wouldn't trust my aim with a .22 to make head shots very far out or in poor light, while I can usually hit the buggers with a 20 gauge. I have several friends who also use 20 gauge for rabbits, and I can't say that I know of anyone using a .22.

HippieSurvivalist

·
One decade later...
221 Posts
I have hunted quite a few cotton tails in my lifetime, and I would suggest

considering the 20 guage with 6-8 shot. The .22 is great, but you need to

have very quick reaction while hunting those fast critters.

·
Registered
85 Posts
like the other fella i used a 410...cant beat it.
but did you know you did not need a gun or a bow to hunt an 'ol waskaly wabbit? take an stick about the diamater of your middle finger and as bout as long as your arm. pick on still a little green so it bends. next notch an X into the thicker end. now all you have to do is run a rabbit. kick it up and watch what tree or hole it goes into then ram your stick down in the hole and twist the stick in one direction, the notched X portion will get caught up in the rabbit hair and hide and will come out when you pull out the stick. eithre break his ol neck or put him in a bag for demise later. i have to thank my Uncle Larry for teaching me this old and forgotten hillbilly trick of rabbit hunting.
give it a try...when you pull out the stick you dont always have a bunny on the other end but when you do you'll be scratching your head thinking how simple.

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
410 all the way.
another trick I use, I pull into the edge of my field, turn on my bright lights. The bunnies look at the lights and pop goes the bunny. I do this in the back yard and field to my south.

Reactions: 347PS and lscothorn

·
Registered
806 Posts
I prefer a .22 rifle and head shots, no pellets to pick out. And you don't hunt this way with dogs, nor shoot while running. See them first, or wait till they stop. Ususally they will stop if you stay motionless after the first kick-up.

Shotgunning can be fun, but its an entirely different style. Hit them on the run, then pick out the pellets. I've only done this when the duck hunt went bad. Potted a couple rabbits with #5 steel shot. Biting down on a steel pellet is not fun.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Its pretty much like Razadp said. either will work just fine if you used under the right circumstances. Personally I prefer the 22 myslef. I would much rather use a 410 than a 20 gauge if shotgunning for rabbits.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Depends on the velocity you get out of that air rifle. Anything over 700 fps will work fine at close range. Conical pellets are better than the flat-faces ones. The flat-face have no penetration.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
The 20 is nice and will get most critters out to fair ranges as will most shotguns. I grew up in bunny country and took more than my share with a 16ga and #6 shot. However as I grew and learned how to shoot accurately, I switched over to a .22 for most of my small game hunting.
A Savage 24 .22/.410 was also used for years with maybe a dozen shots taken with the shotgun barrel. The rifle was more useful and much, much quieter.

Since then I've become more of a rifle person and have taken fluff-butts out to 100Y with my common .22's, and with the prevalence of sagebrush for the bunnies to hide behind around my current stomping grounds, shots that occur must not be passed up if one wants to fill the pan.

Don't discount a lung shot on rabbits/squirrels with the .22, not as fast as the head shot, it's easier, 2x the target area and just as deadly. Using HP's or flatnosed bullets it's just as effective. And you don't waste any meat to speak of.

And with the price of ammo, $.03 a pop for .22's versus $.25 a shell for the scattergun ammo, I can eat a lot more on the .22's dollar.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I use a Remington 1100 20 gage auto or a old sxs 12 g with 6s or 4s depending on the hunting area and the size of the rabbits .
Snow shor rabbits get shot with #4 shot ,and I use a German short hair pointer to kick them up
My pointer died last November so now I hunt with a scoped 22 Remington bolt action or a Sears & Roebuck pump 22 .

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I've hunted a lot of bunnies. For me the fun of it is in using the shotgun. Line a few friends up, start kicking brush and eventually you'll hear someone yell "there he goes!". Shotgunning running rabbits is one of my favorite hunts.

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
We used to have great wabbit hunting where I lived once. A buddy and I shot them with 22s. Headshots only. But then when the wives started complaining about having to eat too many wabbits we would go to shooting them with handguns. Headshots only. I used a 38 revolver, no worry about having too much power when you do headshots only.

I can only remember one wabbit I shot with a shotgun I think it was my very first. After picking out the pellets and hair I never did it again.

·
Wildlife Proctologist
2,299 Posts
Rabbit hunting with shotguns as they are being trailed by beagles is a great joy. Never tried hunting them with a 22 but it's gotta be more fun to jump them and listen to the dogs.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts