Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've got 8 rabbit furs that I've scraped free of fat and meat and let dry stiff. I'm planning on working them into soft hide material (fur on).

I would love some advice on the best way to tan them from this stage. Was thinking of dry scraping them with a dull edge to get down to a base layer, then painting egg yolks on them and working that in until they soften?

Finally, I'd like some ideas for practical clothing these furs can be used for. Anyone with any experience making rabbit clothing? I've seen vests, maybe a hat before. I'm a guy looking to maybe make a jacket or pair of pants, but laugh at the thought of how feminine these may turn out. How do you make rabbit clothes look manly?

·
Registered
279 Posts
I never heard of working egg yolks in the rabbit hides or any hide for that matter. I don't know how you'd ever get the stink out if you used egg yolks. The Indians in very cold areas like Alaska used to tan using urine.

Rabbit hides are the easiest of all to tan. It sounds like all you have to do now is put your hides in the washing machine and wash them. Use something easy on them like Ivory.

You can work saddle soap into them if you want to, or just work the hide by twisting to soften it after you've dried it.

Using the rabbit fur to line hats, gloves and boots is good for winter. Nothing is any nicer than rabbit fur lined house shoes you've made from deer hide.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have used egg yokes and they seemed to work. I used this on rabbit and other small game plus on a small test strip of deer. I have also used urine on fish skin with success. Youtube the channel Bushcraft On Fire and watch videos on egg tanning plus the use of mayonnaise which has eggs in it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Granny Bertie pretty much covered everything, with just 8 pelts you really aren't going to get a lot of coverage externally, (Unless they are form Flemish giants)but you have plenty of material for the items Granny suggested, (especially the house shoes!)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great advice everyone. I've tanned a deer hide with brains before and it was a lot of work. I did the final stretching without a frame and just stretched it over and over until my knuckles were raw. I've heard about wrapping the hide around a steel cable and 'buffing' it for this final stage. Seems like a good way, but maybe too rough for bunny furs.

Gonna do some experiments with the eggs and lightly scraping it dry with a dull spoon.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
That's not really how it works. People wear animal furs for warmth, fashion, or a combination of the two. If it's for fashion, you typically don't wear something as low quality as rabbit fur. And if you did, it would merely be as an accent or trim. Hides can be used for leather products but the fur would need to be scraped off first. Again, rabbit is not the best choice for that either since they are too small.

Keep in mind that most garments have inner and outer layers. You could make a normal looking vest and use the rabbit fur as the inner layer to make it really soft and warm. But I'll tell you right now from experience that it's a pain to cut up and sew all those pelts together in order to make one larger peice that can be used for a garment.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea ninja, i'm leaning toward using the rabbits as an interior layer backed with a stronger outer layer. If I continue raising rabbits, I got to find a good way to use the furs. They pile up oh so quickly

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
So I've got 8 rabbit furs that I've scraped free of fat and meat and let dry stiff. I'm planning on working them into soft hide material (fur on). ...
Finally, I'd like some ideas for practical clothing these furs can be used for. Anyone with any experience making rabbit clothing? I've seen vests, maybe a hat before. I'm a guy looking to maybe make a jacket or pair of pants, but laugh at the thought of how feminine these may turn out. ...
Rabbit hides are thin, and best used for items that won't see a lot of wear, or a light material is better suited, like hats or gloves.

They could be used for the liner of a coat, but the exterior would need to be heavier material. It will take a lot of them though.

Every time I see this thread title I think, rabbits in clothes:

·
Registered
19 Posts
So I've got 8 rabbit furs that I've scraped free of fat and meat and let dry stiff. I'm planning on working them into soft hide material (fur on).

I would love some advice on the best way to tan them from this stage. Was thinking of dry scraping them with a dull edge to get down to a base layer, then painting egg yolks on them and working that in until they soften?

Finally, I'd like some ideas for practical clothing these furs can be used for. Anyone with any experience making rabbit clothing? I've seen vests, maybe a hat before. I'm a guy looking to maybe make a jacket or pair of pants, but laugh at the thought of how feminine these may turn out. How do you make rabbit clothes look manly?
Ok you have started of good but it would have been best to tan the hides right after fleshing using lard,egg yolks,the brains, etc. but for now you should use lard which you can just apply directly to the hide once you do this let it sit for about a day until it's semie dry and begin the breaking stage. Keep in mind that rabbit hides are very thin do not be a stuff as you should be with a deer hide take it easy and do it slow. Goodluck
Andrew

·
Woodsman
352 Posts
Rabbit hides are not very tough. Just about anything you make with them will not last long. Emergency socks for warmth would be idea, but a blanket is probably the best use of them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts