Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Shuriken snowflake
16,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to build one or two big outside cages. They will be rectangular and quite big. So could just build a frame and put nets on all sides. Thing is the longer sides need longer pieces of wood and... limited transport, car only, so can't make them too long. Trying to find a smart way putting this together.

·
Banned
6,420 Posts
Can you take the supplies to make this at home, then build it?

Other then strapping that sucker to the roof of the vehicle, I dont know.

:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I use wood pallets nailed together for my bunny operation. We grow them big out here. 50lbs isn't uncommon. Have to take the grinder out occassionally to keep their teeth from dragging the ground. We have them for Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas and lunch. I ussually butcher when they can stand on their hindparts and reach the top of the pallat.
Ever tried wabbitt?

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
I need to build one or two big outside cages. They will be rectangular and quite big. So could just build a frame and put nets on all sides. Thing is the longer sides need longer pieces of wood and... limited transport, car only, so can't make them too long. Trying to find a smart way putting this together.
rabbits will crib(chew) any exposed wood, build a wire cage then some type of shed to offer protection or keep the cages in a garage or carport.

·
Shuriken snowflake
16,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I plan to build with wire but I need a frame and for the frame pieces I guess I have to have them pre cut and attach them together where they need to be longer... I guess I need to know the width of the netting to know the rest of the measurements...

That will be like math.

I hate math.

·
Research, Learn, Share
819 Posts
Could you build it in 2 sections, each one pretty much free-standing, and then bolt them together? That would remove the need for the long pieces of wood.

·
Registered
43 Posts
rabbits will crib(chew) any exposed wood, build a wire cage then some type of shed to offer protection or keep the cages in a garage or carport.
You don't really need a frame with the wire mesh that is available today. My hutch is about 12 feet long by 36" wide by 36" tall. The bottom is 1/2 inch squares and the rest is 1 x 1. I plan to raise it off the ground using hardware angle.

·
Banned
1,349 Posts
I use wood pallets nailed together for my bunny operation. We grow them big out here. 50lbs isn't uncommon. Have to take the grinder out occassionally to keep their teeth from dragging the ground. We have them for Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas and lunch. I ussually butcher when they can stand on their hindparts and reach the top of the pallat.
Ever tried wabbitt?

um. what breed of rabbit weighs 50lbs? or have you been cross-breeding them with elephants?

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
You don't really need a frame with the wire mesh that is available today. My hutch is about 12 feet long by 36" wide by 36" tall. The bottom is 1/2 inch squares and the rest is 1 x 1. I plan to raise it off the ground using hardware angle.
what we did was buy a couple of banks of cages from a mink farm that was going out of business, they were 1x1" wire mesh and were like 24"w 12"H and 6'L

after swapping out the bottom with 1x1/2" hardware cloth, I built simple 3 sided sheds with roof and suspendered the cages with chain inside. Facing two sheds at each other (open ends) with a walk way in the middle I kept them dry without any harsh winds but still had circulation of air for summer time.

·
Banned
1,349 Posts
most of those giant rabbit pics are taken with lenses that skew the perspective making them look bigger. that rabbit looks like a 'continental'/'german giant'. theyre rare in the US but the 'flemish giants' here dont get much heavier than the mid- to high 20-lbs but averaging 15lbs - 20lbs

most of those heavy rabbits submitted for titles to record weights are overfed making them unhealthy.

·
Research, Learn, Share
819 Posts
most of those giant rabbit pics are taken with lenses that skew the perspective making them look bigger. that rabbit looks like a 'continental'/'german giant'. theyre rare in the US but the 'flemish giants' here dont get much heavier than the mid- to high 20-lbs but averaging 15lbs - 20lbs
I agree that the shot had to have been exaggerated, there's another one that makes it look like the man is holding a 4 foot long rabbit, with a head that's got to be 18" minus the ears. I read a number of articles about the Flemish Giant breed, none of them were too abnormal looking. I just thought the photo I posted was fun. Love the big rabbit feet. Would seriously overpower your keychain;)

·
Google Duckweed!!!
1,258 Posts
What size wire for their feet?

What size wire do you recommend for their feet? 1" x 1/2" or is 1" x 1" OK for their feet?

I'm thinking of placing some kind of platform that is just big enough to lie on also.

Sierra Dave

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
What size wire do you recommend for their feet? 1" x 1/2"
yep we tried leaving the 1x1" in the bottom and layed chickenwire over it, but that didn't work because the droppings got caught between the wires.

·
Banned
1,349 Posts
What size wire do you recommend for their feet? 1" x 1/2" or is 1" x 1" OK for their feet?

I'm thinking of placing some kind of platform that is just big enough to lie on also.

Sierra Dave
1" x 1/2" is best and for the most part standard. it lets their unwanted oversized turds drop out of the cage while being relatively 'better' for their feets-es. having a flat spot (the platform you mentioned) made of plastic or something they wont chew on where they can get off the metal grid and collect their desirable turds is something im sure they wont mind.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts