Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
21 - 40 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
you, me, and many millions of others. There is just zero national leadership helping anyone know what they should be doing, so - we find ourselves here digging for informaation and support.

·
Premium Member
13,306 Posts
I'm typically pretty darned chill. Not very reactionary. Bad Things with Bad Outcomes have been happening since The Garden of Eden. If I reacted to every single Bad Thing I'd never get anything done.

When necessary, I just tune out of the news cycle for a while and give myself a mental health break.

I happened to be catching up on the news cycle yesterday and caught a veritable cluster of disturbing news stories.

Between the economy and the apparently escalating deterioration of the social contract, all of the sudden, last night, I realized that I am in a chronic state of quietly freaking out.

Flipping off of the news to totally neutral t.v. helped for a little bit.

I woke up in the wee hours with a full blown anxiety attack. This is not like me at all.

I've been laying here trying to get a handle on it for hours.

I've been counting my blessings like sheep, and trying to talk my hamster brain off of the roof by explaining to myself how and why we've done everything possible within our means to be safe and secure.

I love our neighbors and our community.
Our location is awesome.
We have what we need and want.
We are content with our simple, quiet life.

I'm not panicking in any capacity.

I'm simply, palpably,
ANXIOUS.

Gah.
I hate this feeling!
Your doing everything you can to help ride out whats coming, that's all you can do... It's all any of us can do.
Better to train your emotions and get them inline now then panicking in the middle of a storm so think about all the adversity you've overcome in your life and take confidence in that ability no choice but to keep moving forward... Happy Thanksgiving!

·
Super Moderator wearing a Cape
4,696 Posts
Perhaps apprehension and premonition together are more accurate descriptions than anxious.

What is coming, will come.
Worrying never stopped anything.

It's, almost as if it's already here, I just don't see it yet. I know it's here, I just can't see it directly. Whatever the heck it is. =/

Like a tornado touching down in the dead of night.

I feel like a blind person holding a flashlight, if that makes any sense at all.
You are not alone, especially on this forum. That's actually the reason most people come here.
When you start to feel overwhelmed, remember that you are not required to carry the entire burden alone.

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
courage to change the things I can,
and wisdom to know the difference.

·
Registered
8,005 Posts
Biden and Company had a high level video conference with the Chinese Premier and his Gang a few weeks ago >>> probably go down in history as the last chance for peace in that part of the globe - peace for the entire World ...

and true to form - Biden couldn't get his mind off his big box of crayons and the connect the dots puzzle in his activity book >>> the domestic disaster is bad enough - what is coming is the worst imaginable

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Happy Thanksgiving all!

@OldSoul, the "News cycle" is all about "Shark week!". ie, any & everything "reported" just for SHOCK & AWE sake. Nothing else. No real reporting anymore (hardy/rarely). Infotainment.

We dropped cable with the last move. Its been pretty darned fantastic!

Still get over the air "news" if we want. Its far less "SHARK WEEK!"... Recycled ad nausea dribble etc etc.

Get cable at work. Don't even turn it on...

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I understand.
I feel like when I relax and distance myself from news and preparing for a few days … I come back and it’s like I missed something. Sometimes we have to take a break. I realize I get too involved sometimes so I have to take a break. Going to enjoy the holidays and really spend quality time with family and friends. Hopefully those shared bonds are extremely helpful as well haha

·
Registered
488 Posts
Prepping is for disasters, shortages, riots etc . Prepping for the end times is preparing your soul for judgement day and praying for the Lord to forgive your sins & have mercy on you.
44; More than 51% of my prepping involves the thinking / viewing subjects.

Had mentioned here at Forum, a favorite Federal small agency I like: SAMHSA - this is the psychology section, if I may, of HHS. Mentioned their Disaster Field Manual with guidance for helping others. A photocopy of a pertinent page is on back of an ID I made. Will be bringing it to our prepper group in formation meeting.

My prepping includes pocket size pictures of famous ones that really explain prepping. An example for here: Edmund Burke's picture titled " An Avalanch in the Alps". It tells of a factory getting destroyed by the avalanch. The theme is nature warning the industralists.

Deists use the words of "Supreme Being" or representative on planet. Others frequently use word "nature".

Regardless, the factory and the BOB can be lost to forces well beyond one's purchasing and inventory prepping.

Helping others affiliate with a group and all present learning stuff MIGHT make a dent in my list of sins - but I don't do the tally.

As an aside, there's been highly charged public complaints here in Virginia re initial restrictions on assemblies at houses of worship. I presented a view to an org that the 2 most important "religious" events I know about were held outdoors.

One was the Revelation At Sinai and other the Sermon On The Mount.

Attendees were dressed appropriately for these outdoor events.

That was real prepping.

·
Registered
314 Posts
It's easy to get discouraged but I hold out hope for states like Oklahoma who is pushing a anti vax bill thru congress that will allow people with injuries to sue their employer for up to one million dollars. And South Dakota with a governor that is doing the right thing. She even supported the Sturgis Motorcycle rally the last two years.

·
Storyteller
3,770 Posts
When I was a kid, we were going to have a full blown nuclear war with the Soviet Union. Not maybe. It was definitely going to happen and politicians and citizens alike were saying so. We had nuclear attack drills where we crouched under our desks, like that would do any good. But can you imagine the effect on a child's mind? After that, nothing I see in the news causes me much concern.

I have heard Chicken Little screaming for 60+ years. Yeah, disaster could always happen. But people predicting it does not make it so. And as the late, great conservative commentator William F. Buckley, Jr. said, "The survivors will not be the lucky ones." I know that runs counter to the zeitgeist of this site, but that's what I believe.

I also saw, and faced, death in the military. Once you've done that, you don't take what is on the news so seriously.
Right on! (yeah, I know that dates me)

"Everything old is new again"

Worried about inflation?
Meh -I lived thru both Nixon and Little Jimmy Carter.

Total global thermonuclear war?
Meh, lived past the Cuban Missile Crisis and Ronald Raygun.

Economy in the toilet?
Meh - pick any Dem prez. and more than a few pubbies.

Riots in the cites
Check the history part of the web, that sh..stuff been going on since the 40s in a big way. Worried about your AO? Move. I did.

Turn off the TV
Read a book
Go play with the kids
Plan a garden for next Spring...

We'll all get past this, we always have.

·
Registered
488 Posts
you, me, and many millions of others. There is just zero national leadership helping anyone know what they should be doing, so - we find ourselves here digging for informaation and support.
Film, You said it Lima Charlie - Loud and Clear.

We are getting information here at Forum and there are other national level sources such as national broadcast commentators and real journalists filling the void.

A new national leadership is pending soonest. Virginia and West Palm Beach working on this now.

They do require field lieutenants to help out in the field.

We will prevail.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
I suggest you look up historical crime stats. Believe it or not, depending on the type of crime, we as a nation are about where we've been over the last 50 years. Some stats are better and some are worse, but overall we're pretty much business as usual. If I were a betting man, I'd bet the rise in antidepressant use and the 24 hour new cycle have 100% correlation.

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
The OP nailed it, the social contract is null and void. Although it was perceived, it was in place for the most part. The glue that held it together was law and order and knowing right from wrong. Perfect it wasn't, as it relies upon individuals and individuals are subject to the human condition. However, it was predominant. Now it has been dismantled by progressivism, which is a stepping stone towards Marxist rule.

·
Indefatigable
21,816 Posts
We all have quiet freak outs. Everyone's trigger is different. Maybe it was being being raised in a religious cult where prepping was the norm and where fear was instilled from the pulpit 5 times a week. I kept the prepping, dropped the religion and the majority of anxiety about "what if" went away.
I have lived through so many falsely prophesied ends of the world, many in the last 10 years on this forum, they aren't even a blip on my radar. Being prepped always eased my mind, but for many the politics surrounding it these days and the seeming inability to separate the two, seems to be the 2nd edge on the sword.

·
gardener & news junkie
3,782 Posts
Sometimes I have to take a break from the news as sometimes it can be damned unravelling. But this week has had a few rays of sunshine break through. Two trial verdicts, Rittenhouse and Arbery, both showed that a fair trial is still with us. The voters of LA County will most likely recall the DA who is letting all these criminals skip out without bail or incarceration. I'm about willing to bet other such recalls aren't far off. And I read this morning that the Marxist witch nominated for Comptroller of the Currency was given the thumbs down by the Senate Committee questioning her. That included five Dems. That's how far left she really was. For these things I give thanks today. Onward and back into the fray tomorrow. :)

·
That'll be the day...
4,139 Posts
I started a thread last week or so, where I listed a lot of the disturbing things. My problem, as several of you pointed out, was that I was keeping my mind on all the negative things in life. As a Christian, this was just a stupid slip away from the teachings of God's Word.

Romans 12:2 - And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Philippians 4:8 - Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

I will admit, if a person is not a Christian.... they have no hope and no future. That is a very bad place to be and certainly the things of this world will consume them. Those of you bull-headed, rejecting Christ.... you need to just submit and experience the peace and love of God.

·
Retired curmudgeon
21,215 Posts
Turn off the TV
If you must watch the thing, consider that everything there is either blatant lies, lies of omission, or spin.
Between the economy and the apparently escalating deterioration of the social contract, all of the sudden, last night, I realized that I am in a chronic state of quietly freaking out.
Nothing you can do about what you don't control.
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
courage to change the things I can,
and wisdom to know the difference.
I recently experienced similiar (called "Todesangst").... is that you, me and others on Forum are older and can see the time line on one's chart.
Fear of death. I'm much closer to the end than I am to the beginning. And that's okay.
Simply put things are not right in the country and are continuing to go bad at an alarming rate. We would be fools not to see that and be concerned about it. All we can do is prepare for it so that we can take care of ourselves and our families.
Prepare. You can be in the world, but you don't need to be of it.
We had nuclear attack drills where we crouched under our desks, like that would do any good. But can you imagine the effect on a child's mind?
I remember and I was a child. We decided rather than dig a bomb shelter we'd use the basement. Our day-to-day life didn't change much at all and my child-mind was unaffected. The Cuban Missile Crisis was pretty scary though.

21 - 40 of 116 Posts