Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
About had enough here.
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the winter, having been bitten by both the survival/preparedness and more mundane outdoorsy bugs, I picked up a Becker BK-2 Campanion fixed blade knife and a Cold Steel Special Forces (aka Spetznaz) shovel.

This weekend I went out camping (nothing fancy or heavy duty, just a short walk into a state forest), and took the opportunity to bring along my new tools.

Both the BK-2 and Special Forces shovel did great at taking care of firewood. That Becker is an absolute tank of a knife, and also did just fine cutting up grub later that night.

I've heard some concern over the quality of Cold Steel handles, but mine, fortunately, held up to everything I could throw at it, from chopping to trench digging. Wrapping it in hockey grip tape hopefully helped reinforce it some.

My chief takeaway this weekend is chiefly the need to build two paracord lanyards. Specifically, the Becker got a bit unwieldy after a lot of chopping, even though I never lost my grip on it. The original scales on this thing are kinda slippery - might need to take a wood burner to it.

Secondarily, I need to figure out a way to strap that shovel to my pack. I ghetto rigged into my compression straps, but I don't think that's a viable solution.

For those who carry a shovel/hatchet on their backpack or have one fastened to their BOBs, how do you secure it?

I apologize that I didn't bring a camera, but mine's old and is a piece. You wouldn't have liked the photos anyway! :D

·
Deus exsisto laus
3,963 Posts
PDX , Portland. You don't happen to know Otto do you? You might want to put some loc-tite on the screws on the BK-2, they come loose alot, mine did. TP

·
Deus exsisto laus
3,963 Posts
No worries, he's troll from PDX. We have some reviews over in the knife sections, you may like reading that. I have a BK-2 as well as a Cold Steel shovel. I've never chopped with either, but other than that , they have performed perfectly. Both are well made and worth every penny they cost. Thanks for the review. TP

1 - 5 of 5 Posts