Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys, I just wanted to get a few quick opinions about some water filtration/purification systems. I'm planning on going out next weekend for a trip and I haven't purchased a water filter yet. ( I'm just going to call them all filters for simplicity's sake.)

I have been looking around and have been looking at three different options:

A slightly used steripen adventurer opti for 60 shipped.
A new katadyn hiker for 56 shipped
A Sawyer inline filter for 34 shipped.

from what I've read, the sawyer can purify up to 500 gallons, the katadyn can go up to 200, and the steripen adventurer claims up to 1000.

Now I do realize with the steripen i would have to filter the water somehow first, but that shouldn't be a problem, and I really like the fact that i could put the sawyer onto my bladder and drink straight from it.

has anyone tried all three, own any of them, have any expiriences, ect..
I'm looking to order my choice today, so any info would be great.
Thanks !

,TheHuskyHiker420

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, I haven't heard anything but great things about them, but then I look at the fact that SteriPen claims to filter up to 1000 gallons, versus 200 with the Katadyn. And I think that number is on the more conservative side (if you're using a pre-filter). I can see the steripen as being more susceptible to being broken though, and I am usually pretty tough on anything I own.

urrggg decisions decisions.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
I haven't tried any of them, but have been extremely impressed with the Katadyn brand products, for what it's worth.
I have to agree, I have two Katadyn products, and both are great and have never failed to do their job. Neither are the product you are referencing here, but their quality is great.

500 gallons per filter element.

13000 gallons, with a washable filter element (I have this filter) its more $ but you only have to buy it once, and believe me it is built like a tank.

I just used Amazon as a reference, there are better prices out there.

·
Numquam Succumbe
4,173 Posts
Yea, I haven't heard anything but great things about them, but then I look at the fact that SteriPen claims to filter up to 1000 gallons, versus 200 with the Katadyn. And I think that number is on the more conservative side (if you're using a pre-filter). I can see the steripen as being more susceptible to being broken though, and I am usually pretty tough on anything I own.

urrggg decisions decisions.
I think you should addup how many gallons you need. As you saw, I plan for long term, so I just grabbed the Katadyn Pocket Pro, but you may not need that many gallons. Worst case scenario (open desert hiking), I drink about a gallon of water a day, and I'm a husky dood as well.

So, how many days do you think you'll be out camping before you'll reach a point where you need to replace your water filter? at 1 gallon a day, that 200 gallon Katadyn will give you 200 days of camping, which is quite a bit. lol. Plus, you get the high praiase of Katadyn in your backpack. 1000 gallons is 3 years straight of camping. Let's be honest with ourselves here, lol. If you don't entertain extended wilderness living fantasies, when will you ever be camping for 3 years straight before you're back in a position to replace your water filter? :thumb:

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
Alright guys, I just wanted to get a few quick opinions about some water filtration/purification systems. I'm planning on going out next weekend for a trip and I haven't purchased a water filter yet. ( I'm just going to call them all filters for simplicity's sake.)

I have been looking around and have been looking at three different options:

A slightly used steripen adventurer opti for 60 shipped.
A new katadyn hiker for 56 shipped
A Sawyer inline filter for 34 shipped.

from what I've read, the sawyer can purify up to 500 gallons, the katadyn can go up to 200, and the steripen adventurer claims up to 1000.

Now I do realize with the steripen i would have to filter the water somehow first, but that shouldn't be a problem, and I really like the fact that i could put the sawyer onto my bladder and drink straight from it.

has anyone tried all three, own any of them, have any expiriences, ect..
I'm looking to order my choice today, so any info would be great.
Thanks !

,TheHuskyHiker420
I had all three!

Well for the Steri-pen I had the regular one not the adventurer but it works the same.
The choice really depends on the short-term or long term usages and what you are looking to filter. What kind of trip are you taking? 3 day adventure or a trip to India?

If it is a local trip, I would skip the Steri-pen. Too many disadvantages. Battery life, water clarity, bottle use only etc. You can't really use it in a hydration bladder. The steripen shines when you have good water clarity and containers for it to sit in. I used it mainly for viral protection AFTER filtration.

So I would choose the sawyer or the hiker.

-Again, if in the USA, the benifits would be that the sawyer can be used "on the go" whereas the filter needs to "stop and fill".

-Water tastes better from the Katadyn Hiker.

-But the sawyer can get clogged if you do not pre-filter the water somehow and you will need to Backwash it with clean water. That can be a problem if you don't have any clean water because your hydration bladder is filled with dirty water. So take a regular water bottle with you and a turkey baster or something to backwash it.

-Sawyer does more gallons than a hiker element. But the bad thing is if you damage the sawyer element, you would never know and you can not fix it. For a hiker you just replace the element.

So for a short or trip I would choose the sawyer. For a longer term preperation I would go Hiker. If overseas or if viral conditions were a problem (like katrina) I would also get the steripen.

Hope that helps!!

Right now I use a Katadyn Pocket filter, a Miox (if I need viral protection) and a sawyer (as a backup). Not to mention my Home units.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you guys for all the help. twyggy, I understand what you're saying about not needing that many gallons of water. I guess the cheap-ass inside of me was just looking at the gallon/dollar ratio. I think I'm just going to go with the sawyer for now. I have trips planned for every other weekend, but they're usually only going to be 2-3 day trips. I really like my bladder thing, so I think I'll get the most use out of the in-line filter. I can find room in my pack for an extra water bottle for the backwashing, and in the future I'll grab a katadyn for the more "extreme" trips/make my girl buy one and keep it in her pack. :)

vic, would you be so kind to explain the backwashing procedure for me? or will I be able to figure it out when I get it? if so, then don't bother, I had just never heard that before.

Thanks again guys, I knew I could count on you.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I've got some sales going on right now on Katadyn products. The Pockets are being scooped up today during my 3 day super sale. Pockets currently retail at $349.95 at katadyn.com. Yikes! But I have em for sale until tomorrow for $255.95. You won't find a new one cheaper.

I am also offering a discount coupon on the Katadyn Hiker until the end of the month. Not too many know about it. It's for $20 off! The regular price is 64.95. I do charge shipping, but I think you might save a buck or two off of the price you mentioned above, which is a really great deal. This is actually only a little bit over wholesale, so you are looking at a great savings.

The coupon code is RBWHKR. You just need to use this during checkout to get your discount. Feel free to pass this on.

·
Canuck
526 Posts
I've got the Katadyn hiker pro, it is good for 300 Gallons it says I"ve been very pleased with it thus far. It only cost me 90$

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts

vic, would you be so kind to explain the backwashing procedure for me? or will I be able to figure it out when I get it? if so, then don't bother, I had just never heard that before.

Thanks again guys, I knew I could count on you.
Sure, back-washing is just sending a reverse flow to clear out any debris. Think of a kitchen strainer (like for pasta or something). If you dump the pasta in one way and rinse it with water, it clogs up the strainer and the pasta stays in. Now if you turned it upside down and ran water under the other side, all the pasta washes out.

That is backwashing. But as you can see, if you backwash with dirty water, contaminants may get in the "clean" side. Now the problem is you need to backwash with enough pressure into that SMALL tiny hole for the Sawyer system. So you need either an extra clean hose and a water bottle. Someone here on the forum suggested a turkey baster. That would be perfect for the job.

Also on a side note, if working properly, the sawyer may give you the best water/gallon/price ratio. Their website lays down a million gallon claim if you use it properly. It is a theoretical claim and not tested, but if it doesn't break it can be reused over and over and over.

·
Renaissance Man
7,503 Posts
Does the filter look like this one? (Inside the bottle)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sawyer-Inline-Water-Filter-with-34-Ounce-Bottle/8283710

I found one of these in the clearance section of camping goods at my local WalMart for $20. It's the same filter sold at REI for $54, with different accessories. And the one at REI has a million gallon warranty. Obviously, the Wally World filter is the same, so if it's backwashed and cared for properly, it should be a lifetime filter as well.

I took mine out of the bottle, and installed it inline on my CamelBak. I use the CamelBak as my dirty water container, and just drink straight from it just like normal. No waiting, no fuss, the filter weighs about 2 oz. In camp, or for small groups of people, I hang the bladder from a tree, and let gravity fill everyone's clean containers as needed. (I have the manual on/off valve on the end of my hose, so it can be turned on and off as needed)

Cheap, light, effective. Works for me.

It can be backwashed, I use a large medicine eyedropper when I get home from my tripsand backwash with city water. It has never clogged on any of my trips, even when using it for 6 people, or for several weeks at a time, so I don't bother worrying about backwashing in the field.

The filter does not filter viruses or chemicals, so it's really only appropriate for making sure that fairly pure water doesn't have any bacteria or cysts in it. This is fine for my backpacking needs, as the places I go have fairly pristine water sources. There is almost no chances of viruses, and it would be next to impossible to find any chemicals.

For more urban needs, I have a First Need. It filters everything. However, it weighs a pound, is expensive, and only filters ~100 gallons before you need to replace the expensive filter element. I save this as an emergency portable filter, but prefer not to carry it on my hikes as it's heavy, limited, and unnecessary.

Az

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts

I found one of these in the clearance section of camping goods at my local WalMart for $20. It's the same filter sold at REI for $54, with different accessories. And the one at REI has a million gallon warranty. Obviously, the Wally World filter is the same, so if it's backwashed and cared for properly, it should be a lifetime filter as well...
Yea they got clearanced at my Walmart also but I missed the boat and couldn't snag one :( They were clearance because the new model is out now. Should be clearance or reduced at most other locations also pretty soon.

The new ones have quick detach systems and faucet adapter.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The filter does not filter viruses or chemicals, so it's really only appropriate for making sure that fairly pure water doesn't have any bacteria or cysts in it. This is fine for my backpacking needs, as the places I go have fairly pristine water sources. There is almost no chances of viruses, and it would be next to impossible to find any chemicals.

Az
I was reading in the description, and I found:

-0.1 micron absolute hollow fiber membrane inline filter
Highest removal (99.99999%) of bacteria, cysts and protozoa
Also filters out sediment and other contaminants
Ensures that water meets EPA and WHO recommended levels
No iodine required
No pumping or chemicals
More effective than pump filters and more convenient
Removes the following contaminants:

Cholera
Botulism (Clostridium batulinum)
Typhoid (Salmonella typhi)
Amoebic Dysentery
E. Coli, Coliform Bacteria
Streptococcus
Salmonella
Giardia
Cryptosporidium

Just thought I'd let you know :thumb::thumb:

·
Renaissance Man
7,503 Posts
Yea they got clearanced at my Walmart also but I missed the boat and couldn't snag one :( They were clearance because the new model is out now. Should be clearance or reduced at most other locations also pretty soon.

The new ones have quick detach systems and faucet adapter.

A buddy bought this new version recently and we tried it out on a recent hike. The quick releases are pretty convenient, but the hoses on his kept pulling out and soaked his stuff, so he couldn't use them to drink while he was hiking. The releases themselves were watertight, the hose just wouldn't stay seated in them.

The faucet adapter is also available separately if you have an older model and want to use it. I could see it coming in handy for filtering city water in places where there's a problem. But I think I'd want a more thorough filter in urban areas.

Az

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
One of the two Sawyer filters I have came with a large syringe to back flush with. Allows you to apply pressure to that small hole without the need for city water pressure.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
When Haiti was hit, the owner of Sawyer shipped tons of these over there for some, major, real world, testing. He said everything came back great. They are said to be virtually indestructible as well. Then again, he is the owner of Sawyer. I know tons of backpackers that use the Sawyer InLine on their bladders and they wouldn't trade it for the world. I'm still deciding on one. If I could scoop them up at some of the deals folks have been finding, I would in a heartbeat. I use the Hiker Pro, which is the Hiker with quick connect fittings. I like it, but I like my Sweetwater best of all my filters.

On a side not, if you see the Sawyer bottles on sale, don't just grab one and think you are getting the inline filter. Not all the bottles come with the inline filter attached. Some have a modified version of the inline on it in which it is flat on the bottom and can't be placed on the path of your hydration hose. I was actually given one of these bottles by the owner. Ever since AZB posted on his finding I have been searching the isles and have yet to see the bottle with the inline and not the modified filter that I have on my bottle. Still, the bottle is a good deal ($24 retail) even with that modified filter on it. It has the same capacity (500), it just can only be used in conjunction with the bottle; which isn't a bad thing either. Makes a good back up filter. However, I suspect, this may be where the discrepancy in the filter capacity may be coming from is why I mention it.

Also, the Sawyer filter, can be back washed with dirty water, you just have to run a few pulls through it before drinking again to be safe. That too comes directly from the owner of Sawyer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts