Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently aloe doesn't grow in direct sunlight?

I've had an aloe plant dug up from my mother's main aloe plant at her house. It has been sitting happily on my kitchen windowsill for the last say year. And it's been growing very well. The window gets good sun through open blinds for about 4 -6 hours a day.

Last week I received 4 new herb plants in the mail (some chamomile, chocolate mint, yarrow, and oregano). So I moved the aloe plant into a new (much larger) pot and placed it outside on the back porch with the others. Since then, it's began to hang a little lower and loose its intense green color and even some of its lower leaves have become a little brown in color. So I've moved it back inside, but I don't have another window it can fit on now. The best I can do is it getting about 2 hours of good sunlight. Think it will get better? I use it A LOT and would not like it to die.

How do you get your aloe to grow best?

·
Prep and be calm
464 Posts
All plants grown indoors or in shade will shock when suddenly moved to bright sun. They have to be "hardened off." That is, they have to be gradually moved into more sun. It should probably recover. I find aloe pretty hardy.

Sun through a window is still not nearly as bright as outside sun and conditions. You can create a temporary shelter with anything that will throw shade over the plant (propped up boards for instance) for a week or so.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.