Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Observer
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering buying a camoflauge poncho/ scrim net, this way, I can be in full civilian gear one minute, say walking through the woods in sheeple mode, then if threats appear, for example, within 10 seconds I could be face down, pretty decently hidden. I'm not military, and I don't pretend to be, so I would appriciate any feedback in terms of possible effectivness. I just thought I would share this idea! :)

·
Real keen on not dying
865 Posts
I have a real tree pattern camo jump suit. The kind I can just step into and zip up the front. I've invested some time in sewing a hood on to the collar and netting and burlap to the back, arms and legs to make it a full gillie suit.

Only takes a second to step in and zip.

·
Montani Semper Liberi
40 Posts
How about a diamond shaped camo net (green, loam and brown for woodlands) in a butt-pack. They are about 9 ft long by 5 ft wide if I recall. They could be deployed quickly and would conceal well (not cover) if your clothes were dark-ish or subdued in color. If you were in grass lands or desert this might not work as well. But something along these lines would help.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
When I was taught about camoflauge, by my dad ( career special forces ranger) , he said that the color Black is the basis for most all woodland, jungle type camo. Also that certain parts of the bodies outline, Head (ears,jaw bone-Facial Profile), Crotch Area-Where you legs come to the together at the body are all points that define you outline and make you visable to the trained eye. I have as a quick camo suit, just a over size long sleeve pull over dull black shirt and a pair of black cargo pants, floppy black bush hat and a pair of black knee high stockings.( Use the knee highs to pull over your head). I will let you figure out the rest.PS: the long shirt breaks up the crotch area. I wear as a normal every day wear some variation (except for knee highs). of the pants and shirt. You can add simple earth tone colors of tan,green, browns, and grays,to your normal clothing every day ware. makes you less noticeable, ( If you have to go Camando) in a hurry.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
When I was taught about camoflauge, by my dad ( career special forces ranger) , he said that the color Black is the basis for most all woodland, jungle type camo. Also that certain parts of the bodies outline, Head (ears,jaw bone-Facial Profile), Crotch Area-Where you legs come to the together at the body are all points that define you outline and make you visable to the trained eye. I have as a quick camo suit, just a over size long sleeve pull over dull black shirt and a pair of black cargo pants, floppy black bush hat and a pair of black knee high stockings.( Use the knee highs to pull over your head). I will let you figure out the rest.PS: the long shirt breaks up the crotch area. I wear as a normal every day wear some variation (except for knee highs). of the pants and shirt. You can add simple earth tone colors of tan,green, browns, and grays,to your normal clothing every day ware. makes you less noticeable, ( If you have to go Camando) in a hurry.
special forces and rangers are two totaly different units

and sorry to disagree but black is actually a very unatural colour and also stands out to the trained eye

browns tans and greens are the way to go

go into your woods and look and see how many things you can find that are truely black naturaly other than a tree charred by lightning

you will find mostly tans/browns as there is more dead vegitation layin around at anygiven time
and then theres the greens usualy above the dead growth

and other colours interspersed depending where you are

·
Garbage Collector
11,363 Posts
You want to break up your outline, and also if you are going to hide, you need to make use of available natural concealment as well.

Reactions: firstforcerecon

·
Chains keep us together.
22,136 Posts
wheres the ghillie suit tread? I cant find one.
hiding in the woods with a green tarp requires the use of magic in my opinion.

·
Freedom isn't free.
6,132 Posts
True black is very rare in nature and it also creates an excellent silhouette at night just because it's darker than most things at night and shadows don't show up on it at night. As a result there are no shadows to break up the dark human shape.

·
FEMA Region IV
458 Posts
True black is very rare in nature and it also creates an excellent silhouette at night just because it's darker than most things at night and shadows don't show up on it at night. As a result there are no shadows to break up the dark human shape.
Thats interesting...I used to play a lot of air soft at night. I noticed I would spot camo users like nothing else..people in black gave me much more problems.

and the same worked in open fields. Wearers of black against the tree line or in tall grass were much harder to spot than were old style BDU users.

Same results in variable light conditions.

I did notice an army bud with more modern digital camo seemed to out perform all the rest though.

·
Freedom isn't free.
6,132 Posts
I am considering buying a camoflauge poncho/ scrim net, this way, I can be in full civilian gear one minute, say walking through the woods in sheeple mode, then if threats appear, for example, within 10 seconds I could be face down, pretty decently hidden. :)
Your idea rocks! :thumb:

·
Freedom isn't free.
6,132 Posts
Thats interesting...I used to play a lot of air soft at night. I noticed I would spot camo users like nothing else..people in black gave me much more problems.

and the same worked in open fields. Wearers of black against the tree line or in tall grass were much harder to spot than were old style BDU users.

I did notice an army bud with more modern digital camo seemed to out perform all the rest though.
Maybe the people in black worked harder to move and look like shadow while the woodland BDU people used less care because they thought they blended better?

Woodland camo sucks most of the time IMO. The shades and patterns are wrong for many situations. The colors being off and the pattern being wrong creates factors of recognition that draw your attention. Add incorrect movement to it and it really sucks.

·
أنا واحد
6,631 Posts
While your both right to a degree. As Doc said breaking up your outline is the most effective, I thought I would add that the current Marine MARPAT in digital woodland is based on black which when added with the green and the earth tones almost gets totally lost at a glance. but there's as much black as there is green. However wearing just solid black in a wilderness at noon and you might as well be wearing orange.

The idea of the digital is to mess with the eyes and help breaking up the shape of a human. It's rather effective if the person wearing them has a clue. Personally I would only rely on it long enough to remove the threat.

No matter what your wearing quick movement and your going to be spotted.

·
Registered
677 Posts
You would be surprised how just being still and quiet works. when you go walking in the woods how many animals do you see? Does that mean they aren't there? If you wear neutral colors (earth tones) and hide I don't see a glaring need for mall ninja camo but that's just me.

·
Registered
107 Posts
It seems like a good idea but you cant get a suit that would match all of the terrain which can change quite drastically in a matter of miles.

·
1 riot 1 ranger
2,057 Posts
You would be surprised how just being still and quiet works. when you go walking in the woods how many animals do you see? Does that mean they aren't there? If you wear neutral colors (earth tones) and hide I don't see a glaring need for mall ninja camo but that's just me.
I chased a bear off into the woods and got my gun and went after him. I could smell him but I never saw him again as soon as he hit the tree line. He was not running.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts

the more modern cammos havbe less black than woodlands if you notice

You want to break up your outline, and also if you are going to hide, you need to make use of available natural concealment as well.
thats usualy helpful I find the multicam or your hunting cammos better at blending than your bdu type cammos

first if you buy any semblance of a ghillie suit you suck at life
second those that buy them obviously know nothing about there implimentation

second for the price you pay buying a ghillie suit i can get everything i need to make 5-ten of them and being that mine is made i can pay more attention to local vegitation and taylor it to my environment and its made a hell of alot better than some crap you get online

second why is it that they never ghillie wash there suits? wait thats right your avg person wanting to be tacticool doesnt know about that step

are ghillie suits effective cammoflauge yes but there other kinds that are more user friendly out there that also work well

i find it iritating that everyones like get a ghillie suit man youll be invisable and think because they have one that makes them some super sneaky B4 qualified goon and in almost all the ghilliesuit threads ive seen here makes me wanna cry at some of the idiocy present

there some guys that know what there talking about and many many more who are mall ninja wannabes

just look at the pics of the ghilly adds you posted the netting is a cheap nylon woven net with little inherent strength
the pic of tha base its attached to is some cotton looking material

its cheaply put together ****ty design and overall quality is poor and you can tell it hasnt been ghillie washed
I chased a bear off into the woods and got my gun and went after him. I could smell him but I never saw him again as soon as he hit the tree line. He was not running.
behold the power of sitting still

Reactions: northidahofisher
1 - 20 of 33 Posts