Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since eggs wouldn't be practical to carry on a camping trip, but chickens are one of the easier livestock to care for, I figured the two would cancel each other out and for those of us with quick'n'dirty livestock(Chickens, rabbits, etc) wouldn't mind having a little chinese on the menu in the PAW :)

Pot enough to feed 4 very hungry individuals
-1 gallon of water
-3 eggs
-2 cups chicken broth(Or you can throw in half a chicken carcass)
-4 tbs salt
-4 tbs pepper(More or less to taste)
-1 cup dried beans or lentils(I used lentils because this was for a cooking competition and it was one of the mandatory ingredients, but you can use dried pinto or garbanzo I imagine)
-Sprig of basil

Put everything in the pot(Except the eggs) and let it simmer for 4-6 hours. Remove from heat, let sit for 5 minutes(enough so that it isn't bubbling anymore), crack an egg and -careful not to let the yolk drop in- drizzle the white into the broth. It should instantly coagulate and be almost as amusing as television! Continue with the other two eggs until all of your whites are drained. Serve immediately! (Keep the egg yolks for cooking, or slurp them down if you aren't afraid of salmonella :) They're darned tasty with a dash of tabasco and pinch of salt)

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
I like your recipy. I like to take the egg and scramble it in a cup, then add 2 Tbls of gratted parmasion cheese. Drizzle into the boiling soup. This gives the soup a different flavor.

·
I feel good.... . . .
494 Posts
Duck Eggs

Has anyone tried using duck eggs with their egg drop soup? Duck eggs are a little more hearty and dense than chicken eggs. IMO it gives the soup an even consistency and better taste, for when you drizzle the scrambled eggs in they congeal consistently and don't dissipate so much in the broth.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I nearly make the same thing but more of a chicken broth without the beans/lentils (whole chicken or chicken pieces, carrots, onion; then boil, adding a bit of salt and pepper to taste).

I add the eggs by stiring the soup as I pour the egg in...including the yolk. Why waste that?

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
I prefer duck eggs to chicken eggs. Their yolks are sooooooo muuuuuuuch betttttttter.

I've also eatten turkey eggs. It has more of a rubbery consistance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts