Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone! Glad to be a part of this forum. Finally have AWAKENED and now beginning to prep.

My Water Prep Plan
250 Gallon Water Tank
Water Preserver - buy 5
Katadyn Vario Dual Filtration System – Replacement Filter (buy 2)

Katadyn Survivor 35 Manual Water Maker
Hydroller 8 Gallon Rolling Water Carrier With Spigot

**Please Note**
I use arrowhead water dispenser now so I would filter out water from tank into the 5 gallon bottle. Filter it again into another 5 gallon bottle, then place that on the dispensary.

Questions Regarding Plan
1. Regarding The 250 Gallon Water Tank... It says that after using water preserver, i could store the water for 5 years before I would have to refill it. If I have a filter, can't I just store it indefinitely and filter out the water?

2. Regarding the Katadyn Survivor 35... I am still 50/50 on purchasing this as it is very expensive and seems like the membranes could be really hard to maintain. Because I live near the coast, i am 2 miles away from a lagoon (nearest water source - with salt water) where I would want to gather water. Do i need to have a product like this or is there another route I could go?

3. Regarding the Katadyn Vario water filter. Is this the best water filter to buy? I am open to suggestions and want the best one for the money. Price is not an issue. But don't want to over spend on something that will be just as effective. Thanks!

4. Would appreciate any other suggestions regarding ONLY water prepping that I might of missed.

·
Evolutionist
349 Posts
I suggest you first search for every water related post and thread you can find here, read them, then see if you still have questions or if they've changed.

I suggest this not to be a turd, but because there is without doubt a lot of good information already available.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Good luck. SoCal has a water issue, that's why the Colorado River is diverted your direction from Nevada. SoCal is the very last place I'd want to be. Infrastructure fails and you're screwed. Water is going to be a rare commodity in your neck of the woods.

·
To secure peace is to...
4,194 Posts
Thanks ruck. Will do. Just overwhelmed with the amount of prepping I need to do within my budget.
It's been said a million times before and is still as valid now:

Prepping is a marathon, not a sprint.

Therefore, prioritize where you are most vulnerable: water, food, guns/ammo, medical supplies, etc. Also realize what your short-term goals are and what your long-term goals are. If you want to reach the long-term goals, you still have to plan for them and make concessions to reach them.

I think a big part of being a survivalist is to reach the point of reasonable sustainability. Things such as permanent water storage/sources, vegetable garden, orchard, ability to preserve said food, some livestock, necessary tools, etc.

Calm down. Realize your budget. Identify your goals. Make a plan. Work the plan. Use this board, you'll learn more here in a short-time more than anywhere else.

·
Banned
1,228 Posts
Most of SoCal water is pumped from hundreds of miles away at a massive cost of electricity and fuel.

Death trap.

·
-
168 Posts
Depends on what par of SoCal you are in. I am in LA and have a couple water sources near by.

First have a way to make your water drinkable. Second store as much as you can. Third have a way to bring water from a source to your location.

Also I don't think I need to tell you, The first rule of fight club is not to talk about fight club. Do not tell anyone what you are doing. Water will be the most valuable thing in these parts if things ever get ugly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I am near the coast so I have plenty of water from a nearby lagoon and the ocean. Guess I could always distill the water, right?!

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Vario is a very good filter for the money. If money is no object, the Katadyn Pocket is the most popular for survivalists with unlimited funds. In the long run, it saves you money as it has a capacity of 13,000 gallons. Sawyer products are very popular as they have a million gallon guarantee and they are very reasonably priced. You can check out my store to compare the different filters at Highwater Filters

Email me for a 10% off discount code (not good for the Hiker which is on sale for the rock bottom price of $49.95).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts