Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1911 seems to always gunk up & be unusable without a cleaning regardless of lube I use. I have tried CLP, slip 2000, froglube, hoppes, even just generic mobile 1. It is my truck gun & sits in my glove box. None of my other firearms have this issue. Just the 1911. I want it to be ready to use if needed but after say a month of sitting in my truck (i dunno if its the heat or what) the lube just turns to pancake syrup & does not function.

I have stripped all the lube off & am going to store it in my vehicle dry. Is there any concerns I should have having it completely unlubed? It does not get out for target practice & is basically there solely for protection. Thanks

·
Semper Fi
11,258 Posts
I am having a hard time figuring out what would affect all those different lubes like you say. Do you have the pistol in a holster or just throw it in your glove box? Is the lube gunking up or is it all the dust/dirt/etc from your glove box that is clogging up the works?

·
What hell, pay attention
8,988 Posts
There's something your not telling us if Mobil 1 is even doing that.
Thats what I was thinking. Unless youre going WAY overboard with the lube, it sounds like its something other than a lube issue.

What brand of 1911 is it?

·
My Hero Was Derion Albert
2,706 Posts
So you leave a loaded handgun in your truck? In your glove box? not even a cable locked safe? One of these days your going to look for that gun and its not going to be gunked up, its going to be gone. When theives find a locked glove box they pry it open to see whats inside there that someone would take the time to lock it in the first place.
Some poor bastard is going to get shot with your gun in a robbery, gang shooting, etc. Or its going to be pointed at your face while the crooks rummage through your house, taking the rest of your guns, Money and doing whatever to whomever. You need a good holster and do what ever it takes to carry the pistol in your state. Be a responsible gun owner for crying out loud. Do what the rest of us do, bring it into the house when not in use and put it on your night stand.

·
Gone Galt
22,533 Posts
So you leave a loaded handgun in your truck? In your glove box? not even a cable locked safe? One of these days your going to look for that gun and its not going to be gunked up, its going to be gone. When theives find a locked glove box they pry it open to see whats inside there that someone would take the time to lock it in the first place.
Some poor bastard is going to get shot with your gun in a robbery, gang shooting, etc. Or its going to be pointed at your face while the crooks rummage through your house, taking the rest of your guns, Money and doing whatever to whomever. You need a good holster and do what ever it takes to carry the pistol in your state. Be a responsible gun owner for crying out loud. Do what the rest of us do, bring it into the house when not in use and put it on your night stand.
What does this have to do with the very specific question the OP asked?

·
Gone Galt
22,533 Posts
My 1911 seems to always gunk up & be unusable without a cleaning regardless of lube I use. I have tried CLP, slip 2000, froglube, hoppes, even just generic mobile 1. It is my truck gun & sits in my glove box. None of my other firearms have this issue. Just the 1911. I want it to be ready to use if needed but after say a month of sitting in my truck (i dunno if its the heat or what) the lube just turns to pancake syrup & does not function.

I have stripped all the lube off & am going to store it in my vehicle dry. Is there any concerns I should have having it completely unlubed? It does not get out for target practice & is basically there solely for protection. Thanks
The variables here are:

1. Environment
2. Lube brand
3. Firearm make/model

Environment - probably what is causing it.

You say you've tried a handful of different lubes. This would tend to mean brand does not matter.

Firearm...hard to believe the design of the 1911 would cause a chemical process. Try switching it out with a different handgun and see what happens. If the same thing happens, I would say it's the environment.

...maybe look at a small dry box and/or a different spot in the truck.

·
My Hero Was Derion Albert
2,706 Posts
Okay let me rephrase that.
Under exposure to prolonged heat organic compounds evaporate out of oils and leave basically cosmoline, happens with just about any oil, except maybe silicone oils.these are not petroleum based.
Keep your handgun inside where it wont get exposed to heat for weeks on end, and the possibility of falling into the wrong hands.

·
Happy to be here!
5,631 Posts
Okay let me rephrase that.
Under exposure to prolonged heat organic compounds evaporate out of oils and leave basically cosmoline, happens with just about any oil, except maybe silicone oils.these are not petroleum based.
Keep your handgun inside where it wont get exposed to heat for weeks on end, and the possibility of falling into the wrong hands.
I disagree. My patrol shotgun and AR sit inside my Florida patrol car 24/7/365. You can cook food in that car in the summer, never mind how hot the firearms get in use. I've had zero lube related issues using basic firearms oil. I suspect the op is trolling.

·
Semper Fi
11,258 Posts
OP should put his pistol in a ziplock baggie to keep all the crud off it and to protect it from the container of pancake syrup he keeps in there.

ALL those lubes are designed to work at the temperatures encountered in a weapon when it is fired, so I hardly think the 130 degrees inside a vehicle in the summer is going to have an adverse effect on the oils.

I too smell something trollish.

·
Sgt. Oddball
749 Posts
How many pistols do you keep in the glove box? If just the 1911, swap it with another pistol and keep the 1911 in the house for a while after cleaning and lubing both...
If the swapped pistol gets gunked up and the 1911 works nice an smooth, you have your answer.

Pickups and glove boxes in general are notoriously dirty. Dust...and I mean the crap that's nearly invisible floats around for awhile after a drive. It has to settle somewhere. If your truck has no cabin filter, you're sucking in pollen and all kinds of other gunk and abrasives....that then gets blown around and since glove boxes are not sealed, your blower is blowing stuff right into it from the backside of the dash during the Winter.

·
Registered
9 Posts

So what's the scenario? It sits in the glovebox and fails immediately when you take it out and shoot it? Is it reliable after a cleaning? For how many rounds?

What kind of failures do you experience? Does it not drop the hammer when you pull the trigger? Stovepipe? Fail to go into battery?

Need more input.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
OP should put his pistol in a ziplock baggie to keep all the crud off it and to protect it from the container of pancake syrup he keeps in there.

ALL those lubes are designed to work at the temperatures encountered in a weapon when it is fired, so I hardly think the 130 degrees inside a vehicle in the summer is going to have an adverse effect on the oils.

I too smell something trollish.
I used to have a black car back when I lived in Oklahoma.. If left in the sun, windows rolled up, and mind you, not even started, it would reach over 200 degrees inside during a mid-summers day.. You could start the engine, and it'd be sitting at the normal running temp- the moment you started the car. On some days, it'd get even warmer if the windows were rolled up.

In some areas though, I'm not sure I'd want to put a pistol in a plastic baggie.. thinking about condensation... & rust...

·
Registered
617 Posts
Drive by poster. Had a friend who kept a Kimber stainless 1911 in a pistol rug in his truck. Temperature variations led to condensation which led to stains on his stainless. So how is the OP storing his firearm? He hasn't answered any questions.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Drive by poster. Had a friend who kept a Kimber stainless 1911 in a pistol rug in his truck. Temperature variations led to condensation which led to stains on his stainless. So how is the OP storing his firearm? He hasn't answered any questions.
I carry a Kimber "stainless" as my edc. The Kimpro finish isn't really stainless, and in fact kind of sucks. It's coming off where it contacts the leather side of my hybrid iwb holster. The only part of that gun that is really stainless is the barrel.

Also I fight a constant battle keeping sweat from corroding under the grip nearest my body.

However, it is extremely reliable and accurate, which is why I carry it. But I'll probably never buy another Kimber.

Bad side

·
Semper Fi
11,258 Posts
I used to have a black car back when I lived in Oklahoma.. If left in the sun, windows rolled up, and mind you, not even started, it would reach over 200 degrees inside during a mid-summers day.. You could start the engine, and it'd be sitting at the normal running temp- the moment you started the car. On some days, it'd get even warmer if the windows were rolled up.

In some areas though, I'm not sure I'd want to put a pistol in a plastic baggie.. thinking about condensation... & rust...
Not saying it did or didn't BUT for the last 30 years I have lived in the Southern California desert where we routinely see daily temps of over 100 degrees for months on end and I have never experienced this with any of the vehicles we have owned over the years.

The bag suggestion was because it really looks like the OP was just trolling.

·
Currently surviving SHTF
2,485 Posts
I carry a Kimber "stainless" as my edc. The Kimpro finish isn't really stainless, and in fact kind of sucks. It's coming off where it contacts the leather side of my hybrid iwb holster. The only part of that gun that is really stainless is the barrel.

Also I fight a constant battle keeping sweat from corroding under the grip nearest my body.

However, it is extremely reliable and accurate, which is why I carry it. But I'll probably never buy another Kimber.

Bad side
Do a refinish in cerakote or KG Gunkote in silver. It will look almost the same but give you better results...plus, you can do it yourself.

It is not hard to do and not expensive to diy. KG is cheaper than Cerakote but is very tough.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.