Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently bought a canteen cup and took it camping. i used it over my soda can stove and noticed a lot of bluing in the metal. my other cup never did this. im starting to wonder if its real. i would post a pic but my camera isnt working for me. it looks just like the one in the link but it is dull the top lip is folded over and it says VDL 89 on the plate that holds the handles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Open_mess_kit.jpg

thanks

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
i recently bought a canteen cup and took it camping. i used it over my soda can stove and noticed a lot of bluing in the metal. my other cup never did this. im starting to wonder if its real. i would post a pic but my camera isnt working for me. it looks just like the one in the link but it is dull the top lip is folded over and it says VDL 89 on the plate that holds the handles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Open_mess_kit.jpg

thanks
What do you mean by "real"? I mean it is a canteen so it is real. Do you mean Real Military Issue? Is yours made of Aluminum or Steel? The ones pictured in your link are alum. Modern military issue ones are steel. Though they have used alum canteens in the past (1960's and before about). Did you purchase a Miltary "Style" canteen cup? Those are usually aluminum and can discolor faster. But still can usable.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wonder how hot the soda can stove got?
I use Denatured alcohol, dont know how hot it burns but it gets pretty hot. maybe it is my stove? i use the military stove and set the canteen on top at 180 degrees so it doesnt sit inside the stove but on top.

once the stove settles down the flames are about a inch away from the canteen

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
i was using the picture to show how the handles looked. mine is steel, buy real i meant is it a mil spec canteen
If it is a "Real" Military Canteen cup issued for the US Government, it will have "US" marked someplace on the canteen cup along with a year date. "US 95" for example. Probably the flat part of steel hinge that holds the wire handles.

Other than that though any steel canteen cup works pretty much just the same. You are probably burning off the finish on the steel. Break it in for a while and see what happens.

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
i just tried it again and noticed the bottom was getting red hot. i guess the soda can stove burns too hot for it.
Yea red hot is too hot. It can also make the steel more brittle depending on how hot you got it and how fast you cooled it off. You can get the stove attachment that raises the cup off the fire source. If that reddening happened before, the blueish tint is probably a patina. Or you tempered/hardened it lol eiter way, you should be fine.

·
Kibitzer
6,631 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Yep, I've got a couple of the VDL 89 cups. Yes they're real military surplus. Just not USA. Got mine from SMG years ago. The plastic USGI canteen won't sit all the way in it.

The wiki pic is of the Philippine mess kit. I wish I could get one of their mess kits. The skillet/pan is deeper than the US one.
My USGI plastic canteen won't sit all the way down in my USGI canteen cups either. My ss canteen fits them perfectly though. As others wrote, don't put your empty cup on the flame. It'll change its tempering, which is what you've done. I use Esbit tabs for fuel and never had any blueing in my cups, but I don't heat them emtpy. As for that deep skillet pan, I've seen them around. If I see one again I'll scoop it up and if you want it, you got it. Otherwise, I'll keep it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.