Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently thought of putting a get home bag in my 1999 suburban and have a perfect pack for it. But before I start, I have a few questions.
1.) What is the difference between a BOB and a GHB?
2.) How large/heavy should the GHB be?
3.) What would you put in a GHB?
Thank you for helping me out.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Ohhhhhhhhh boy - you've done it now... just sit back and watch the replies come in :)
I'll say, first, Yay 1st! ;)
And now, I'll see if I can share some quick tips. I'm new too? But this topic always comes up and people are always talking about these so I think I've picked up some pointers. I'll link some generic starting points for definitions and you can go from there. There may be better links from others that'll point to posts here, these links are just simply ones I have ready right this second.

Oddly enough? There's NO deifnition for a GHB on Wikipedia... someone with more brainz than me get typing up there! :p

- Typically the BOB will be a larger pack that has everything from food to clothes, to radios, to small tents, etc. Something you can grab and haul ass to safety with.
- Typically from what I'm reading, a GHB will be a smaller version of a BOB. A subset of the more critical items you'd need in order to get from work, school, wherever, to your home and your family and supplies.
http://americanpreppersnetwork.com/2011/01/get-home-bag.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bug_out_bag
http://americanpreppersnetwork.com/2011/03/preparedness-101-get-home-bag-ghb.html

- This is kinda subjective. I'm going to end up using my MULE as a GHB and keep it stuck in my truck. I'll have one in my wife's trunk as well.
Some people's are much smaller. Some are larger. It'll depend on what you decide you need in order to get from where-ever, back home.

- There's a generally accepted list of critical items, but this list can be augmented as needed. Check this thread - it'll help http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=82375
Here's a search result for threads on here that talk about this exact topic
http://www.survivalistboards.com/tags.php?tag=get+home+bag+contents

Anyway - hope this helps and welcome to the boards. You'll learn a ton here.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
I recently thought of putting a get home bag in my 1999 suburban and have a perfect pack for it. But before I start, I have a few questions.

A BOB is generally kept at home and contains things that may be required if you have to evacuate your home with minimal notice. A GHB is kept in your vehicle or at work and is designed to allow you to get home (most preppers agree that home is the best place to ride out very wide spread disaster).

The contents of both will be fairly similar.

How much can you carry? how far will you have to walk? no easy answer for that. If you make it too heavy (as mine is) you can always jettison stuff you dont need, but you should aim for as light weight as possible for individual items

Food, Water, Shelter (inc way to make fire), Protection, and tools, same as in any other bag :)

Thank you for helping me out.
See above, in bold

·
Registered
368 Posts
In my GHB, with the need of crossing about 30 miles to get home:

1. Food (granola bars, etc. Light stuff for quick energy/carb snacks)
2. 3L of water.
3. 2 Flashlights.
4. Compass
5. Matches + Lighter + Candle
6. Axe (camp axe)
7. Folding knife
8. Small portable Radio
9. Large, foldable, thick thermo blanket (with a mylar layer)
10. Foldable raingear
11. Camo paint, camo mask
12. Bug Spray
EDIT: 13. Basic first aid kit (important, almost forgot to list!)

Fits in a medium-sized, school-type backpack.

Light, so it won't wear me down!

Weight is the key. My B.o.B is much heavier.

Hope that helps.

·
VA / NC
12,688 Posts
Good list Archer - the only basic difference in mine is a box of .40 for the CCW I use, a fire steel to go with lighters and matches, and a local map to determine some short cuts if roadways are blocked, etc and have to go it on foot. I also keep a N95 and some Iodine Pills for nuke events.

Also keep a pair of jeans, walking shoes, etc in the truck where the kit is.

·
Bravo Zulu
13,133 Posts
A BOB is a bug out bag, for when you're leaving home. A GHB is a get home bag, for when you're trying to get home.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
A BOB is a bug out bag, for when you're leaving home. A GHB is a get home bag, for when you're trying to get home.
Depending on how far you live from work, and how far you live from your bug-out location, your GHB probably doesn't need to take you nearly as far as your BOB. So your GHB is probably lighter.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
You can walk 30km without drinking or eating... But i recommend you take snacks and atleast couple liters of something to drink. That way your way to the home is much nicer!

You can manage that trip with very little stuff with you if you like to! But it depends also what kind of situation you have and witch country you live and are all 30km urban terratory or are there also countryside?
(forexample where i live, i take smaller bag to the city than i take to the woods...)

For me ghb is my everyday carry bag. It is very minimalistic almost all the time... If i go longer trip, i take much more stuff with me, but usually i can walk home only in couple of hours! And i can avoid urban areas if have to.

I have water, flashlight, lighter, cellphone, multitool and a lot of first aid with me... I don't need guns, usually i don't need food and i don't need shelter items also...

Remember, your goal is to get home, not to survive in desert island.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
..... But it depends also what kind of situation you have and witch country you live....
Remember, your goal is to get home, not to survive in desert island.
True on both counts.
My situation is such that I am likely to try to get home after 12hours working at an asphalt plant. I plan my bag to allow for me to rest along the way, if I start out fatigued.
Before I leave the plant, I expect to have a little time before I go, so I can decide to leave some of it in my truck, rather than just hump all of it home.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Pick the farthest point from home that you may find yourself. Think of the things you would like to have(or must have) to get home from that point. (keep in mind seasonal variations). Remember the object is to get home as fast (and safe) as possible.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Mine is much like GPArcher's except I don't carry bottled water (too heavy), instead carrying a Sawyer .10 water filter. I also skipped the axe, the camo stuff, the bug spray and I only include one flashlight. I do include a small firearm and an extra magazine however.

I have about 30 miles to get home which I estimate would take me two days or so. I carry food for three days just in case.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I would LOVE to include a firearm, but I work at a "secured facility" with a strict (for everyone but management) no weapons policy and occasional vehicle screenings.
Could get away with a crowbar though. Either carry one in my truck or borrow one from the shop for my walk home...

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I do not believe in the GHB concept.

You might not have a choice and could be forced to bug out, from work, the mall, little league game etc. Consequently, your BOB should be carried in your vehicle, which is rarely more than a couple hundred yards from you.

If based on your analysis, you can and should get home, then discard the weightier contents of your BOB, and presto-chango call it a Get Home Bag, if you must.

I imagine for most of us, the contents are painfully similar, and I could be accused of debating semantics. This is my point: you might not have the option of going home.

Be prepared accordingly.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
...In other hand. There is so much possible situations what really can happens...

In many situations it just is wise to get home and stay there (atleast at beging of situation...) So i don't say ghb is always a bad idea.
Ofcourse there is situations where you can't go home, or there is no home anymore... And they are situations where bob would be nice to have! :)
But atleast where i live, there is more possible situations where ghb is enough for me. So no need to carry bob all the time!

plus i'm poor... i don't own car, or do anything with car so i can't carry my campping gears with me all the time... I have with me only my every day carry bag where i have minimalistic gears, mostly for staying alive for one day and to get home. And it is just enough for me.
(And if i can't go home anymore i have couple locations where i can still go and get some supplies and gears.)

Lastly... Always you should have good plan no matter what you carry with you. Plan, back up plan and plan if everything else fails. So even if you have only your ghb and you can't go home, you should have strategy and knowledge to stay alive.

So i believe in ghb! And i believe there are many others too. There is more than black and white. Somebody can need bob everywhere, some others don't and that is ok.

·
American fearmaker
14,246 Posts
A GHB is a smaller and lighter backpack kind of device used by a person so that they can get home. It is not meant for long term use and generally has a minimum of things in it. Instead of whole meals a GHB might have some energy bars, snacks, a little bit of water, some fire starting equipment and light sleeping gear.

A BOB is a full sized rucksack loaded down for long term use. In a BOB you might find a sleeping bag, whole meals for a week, several types of fire starting gear, lots of water or more. BOBs are meant to be used for a week or more while a GHB is used for shorter periods of time like 2 or maybe 3 days. BOBs are generally kept stored at home and GHBs are often stored inside of vehicles or car trunks. So there are lots of differences between the 2 systems and how they are intended to be used.

·
Forewarned is Forearmed
949 Posts
I do not believe in the GHB concept.

You might not have a choice and could be forced to bug out, from work, the mall, little league game etc. Consequently, your BOB should be carried in your vehicle, which is rarely more than a couple hundred yards from you.

If based on your analysis, you can and should get home, then discard the weightier contents of your BOB, and presto-chango call it a Get Home Bag, if you must.

I imagine for most of us, the contents are painfully similar, and I could be accused of debating semantics. This is my point: you might not have the option of going home.

Be prepared accordingly.

I agree 100% with you. That is why I have multiple packs with a lot of redundency. I truely believe a person should have access to their BOB where ever they are. You never know when you have to go and home might not be an option. Most of the things I have were accumulated over time. When I upgrade equipment or just buy new things I make a new pack, love packs and gear. As time goes by you will have multiple packs. Your family members might need to leave home when you are out so they can grab a pack. The way things are going in this country don't take anything for granted. I have two packs in my 4x4. My EDC and a BOB, and OMG I hope I can get to a safe place PDQ... LMAO.....

·
Ginger
47 Posts
Any suggestions for a GHB to get you 400 miles? Always keep 2x the diesel on the truck to make the trip but i can probably assume i wont be able to drive the whole way. On the plus side will have a high school buddy/army buddy along so wont be alone.

·
Lux in Tenebris
6,882 Posts
Pics speak 1k words..here's my Trunk Kit and GHB....

my average daily territory is a 20-30 mile radius...

this kit will allow me to manage in place and/or make it home...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Any suggestions for a GHB to get you 400 miles? Always keep 2x the diesel on the truck to make the trip but i can probably assume i wont be able to drive the whole way. On the plus side will have a high school buddy/army buddy along so wont be alone.
You can call it a Get Home Bag, if you must.

But the nature of a 400 mile trek calls for supplies and equipment of a style and quantity that most would place in the BOB category.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
i have questions

what state do you live in.
how far do you travel to work.
how often do you go further than 100 miles.
how much survival experience do you have.
do you think women look pretty in those huge sunglasses.

answer those and will give you a better customized GHB loadout

1 - 20 of 33 Posts