Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Endure-Adapt-Overcome
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you remember the first time you knew that you were a survivalist? When you made that fist buy of a item just because you knew that you would need it later, not that you needed it then. Or the first time you did something that would be considered something a survivalist would do?
And what was the event that started you down the path of survival? Was it a natural disaster, were you in a war, or just in the military or was it something else?

For me I think it was growing up in the south in North Carolina, every year we would get ice storms or snow storms. None were real bad, we would lose the power for two days up to five days. But the big one was hurricane Hugo.
I would have to say that after hurricane Hugo hit Charlotte NC in 1989 that was when I became a survivalist.
By the time Hugo reached Charlotte, North Carolina, Hugo was still a Category 1 hurricane and was still strong enough to topple many trees across roads and houses leaving many without power, closing schools for as long as two weeks, and spawning several tornadoes. The storm took Charlotte by surprise; the city is 200 miles (320 km) inland and is frequently a stopover for people fleeing from the coast. Damage to trees was reported across much of western North Carolina.
In all, twenty-nine counties in North Carolina were declared federal disaster areas, with damages in that state alone estimated at $1 billion
We had no power for two weeks and cooked of a charcoal grill and keep our food in a ice cooler. I was lucky to have a mom that was in law enforcement because she had the friends that had the extras we needed, like the charcoal and ice. We had a store near us that was open for about two full days after the storm so I was able to get most of what we needed. I just never wanted to feel so out of control again, so from the storm on I was getting ready and have been every since.

·
Will let you beg for food
793 Posts
I suppose, honestly, I would have been in grade three and was walking through downtown a few days before my birthday and there was some luntic with a sign saying the world was going to end, on my birthday of course lol. I went home and packed a bag and kept that sucker under my bed for months. Serious prepping start the summer of 1999. I was eating y2k peanut butter for months.

·
Banned
647 Posts
For me, honestly as a little kid in the '60's I remember my grandparents as always being ready with food, water, stockfeed, spare parts, etc. I grew up that way. Sometimes I had a lot of preps, sometimes they dwindled because they were being used up and I didn't have the money to replace them right away. But I've always had that mindset.

·
Watchful and Hopeful
122 Posts
Never had a choice to be otherwise. Growing up in a very rural area on a small farm we always did the work "today" with and eye on next season while preparing to eat throught the coming winter. I am lucky to have been part of a lot of "blue collar" know how. If it broke we fixed it; if we ate it we grew it. Not saying that we did not go to the store or out to eat, but rather we were not dependent on the grocery store. Funny that even though my grandfather and father were blue collar, they had a white collar degree. I pride myself in being both educated and able just like them.

·
Registered
252 Posts
It was when I was a Boy Scout. My Scoutmaster was a WW2 Marine grunt. He always told us we always needed to be able to get ourselves out of any situation we found ourselves when we were out and about. We could not depend on anyone else.

He took our patrol out at least once per month for 8 to 12 mile hikes. he had a basic gear list for every boy in the patrol to have with him at all times.

first aid kit
canteen
knife
fire starter
50' nylon rope w/ ring on one end and clip on the other.

He planned hikes that incorporated the uses of these items . He was a great inspiration to me and will always remember the times we went out. I learned alot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts