Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious about where you would find AK 47's for sale. I've looked around on the internet, but have not come across any. I'm also curious about what they run in price. From what I've read, they have become collectors items now and are more pricey.

I know I can get Ruger Mini-14's to do the same thing and modify them for my needs. I lean more to the thought that I need to have guns that I can get parts for in the US and that use military or common loads, such as the .308, 9mm, .45 acp, .30-06.

But the AK 47's and other rifles like it look like they would be fun to shoot. So any information you can give me would be a big help. Thank you

Hi Poopus

·
Registered
282 Posts
also try vektor and lancaster arms there american companies that make AK47s i think you'll find there prices high but quality bar none

·
Elitist Gun Snob
1,365 Posts
Have you bothered to look at your local gun stores and pawn shops yet? That's usually a best first resort. You would have to go through them anyways for the FFL transfer from an online purchase. Might as well skip a step and buy straight from them.

·
BowHunter
2,232 Posts
Also be aware that Ruger requires factory service on all mini's, no factory parts are available elsewhere.

·
BowHunter
2,232 Posts
You might also consider a siaga,made by the same factory that makes Russian AK's, but is sporterized. Can be retrofitted to true AK with parts or modded to your liking. They are available in.5.56/7.62x39 and .308. Be aware that there are different barrel lengths. If you choose 5.56, get the longer barrel,ammo perfomance is reliable to 100 yrds only,because it is velocity dependent. The shorter barrels let the round "pencil" through instead of "tumble"(FMJ) or expand(soft or hollow point).

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for all of your information and links. I've been reading them and pricing them for the last few hours. I have to agree that the Ak's look much better when you consider a lack of support for the Mini-14's. From what I've seen, parts are available for the AK's and the prices are right. I'd like to still stick with the .308 and .223 ammo, but I know I can get the reloading components and dies for the Russian calibers. Not so sure about large quantities of brass.

I have another question now that I have started reading. From what I'm seeing, the Bulgarian AK is one of the better ones currently or more solid feeling. The Saiga also looks good. What would be the better defense gun. I'll have plenty of hunting guns in another 6 months. I want it to be able to use 30 rd magazines or better, because I love to shoot. I'd appreciate your thoughts on it.

Once again, thank you for the information.

Hi Poopus

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was at a gun show today and I can tell you that's likely NOT the place to find a good deal on one. I've seem some on gunbroker that were priced ok ($400-$500) but they certainly didn't seem to be a good value for what you end up with.

I'd spend $650 on an AR-15 or $300 on an SKS then add detachable magazines.

The SKS uses the same round as the AK-47 but is generally (if it's Russian surplus) much better quality. Milled parts rather than stamped, almost half the price, much more rifle for the money.

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
Since you are in TX, you might try some local pawn shops. I just left a Pawn shop tis morning that had 3 for sale. 1 yugo, 1 Mak90, and an underfolder....didnt look at it close enough to see what kind it was. Prices ranged from 500 to 700 I believe. The same place had around 6 SKS rifles 4sale, and a few Mosin's to boot. AK's seem to be all over the place round here.
Litterally hip deep in AR's of every type concievable, with every gadget you can think of to clamp onto one.
Even quite a few M1A's. Most are either std's or Socom's round here.

Plus 1 for Aimsurplus. We have purchased from them in the past (SA 308 by the pallet). They deliver the goods, and in a timely manner from my dealings with them.

11B

1 - 13 of 13 Posts