Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in apartment building on the second floor. I have an outdoor balcony. I want to get a couple of five gallon containers to fill with gasoline. Then add some sta-bil. I want to know both the safety implications of storing them on my balcony as well as what this will do to the fuel's usability. Thanks.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Unless they're air tight and opaque, the weather will cause it to degrade drastically faster. Safety implications are about the same as storing them anywhere else, except anyone with a ladder may take off with them. Careful with maintenance men and the apartment rules too, most I've lived in get uncomfortable about storing anything that's not furniture or random crap (once had a manager argue I wasn't allowed to store my safe in my garage specifically because I wasn't permitted to store weapons, I countered by asking him if he'd like to explain to my downstairs neighbor I'm storing an 800 lb safe above them when I move it into my apartment).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Temperature changes will cause condensation in the gas cans and leave water in the bottom and leave you stranded in your vehicle. might be better keeping gas tank in vehicle full and empty cans in trunk with clear hose for siphoning later. Yooper

·
Registered
46 Posts
As mentioned the exposure to the elements would be concern. Best bet would be some place away from the home in case of a fire-a couple 5 gallon cans of gas makes a nice fire/boom......not to mention if that happened one might have issues dealing with the insurance company.

·
Premium Member
68,758 Posts
That's not a great place for storage. The cans will have sunlight hitting them, and be exposed to changing weather conditions.

It's better to keep your fuel rotated to keep it as fresh as possible. THEN when a crisis hits, you add your preservative to it. Pri G does a better job of preservation than Stabil.

·
Mentally lost....
809 Posts
If your storing the stuff on your balacony the main concern i would have is if there are stored properly in a sealed plastic fuel can, the sun and tempature differences will cause the can to expand and contract. Over time the sun UV and constant flexing will cause the can to weaken and/or rupture. Not a firey explosion but your neighbors will be walking around wondering what smells like gas...

Putting them under something to protect them from the sun would probably reduce that danger. Fill them close to full and add your additive. Most SEALED fuel systems and gas cans will not go bad even w/o additive, or at least it will take a number of years to do the job.

b4 everyone starts saying how the above is not true, keep in mind i said SEALED. pre '95 automotive fuel systems are not sealed systems. Nor are motorcycles or lawmowers..

·
Learning
6,734 Posts
If you feel you must store 10 extra gallons of gas on your porch, fill the plastic can all the way to the top (prevent the chances of condensation) and put the cans in something like a galvanized trash can with the lid on it.

Rotate it out every month and you will not need to bother with stabil.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What do you think about using a floor freezer (non cooling) to store cans filled w/ gasoline in? The temp should remain fairly constant. I have a fairly new one in my basement that no longer cools. I thought about using it to store stuff in, then got the idea to store gasoline, since the basement maintains a cooler temp in the summer, & the freezer should be a good insulator against outside disturbance. What do you think?

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
What do you think about using a floor freezer (non cooling) to store cans filled w/ gasoline in? The temp should remain fairly constant. I have a fairly new one in my basement that no longer cools. I thought about using it to store stuff in, then got the idea to store gasoline, since the basement maintains a cooler temp in the summer, & the freezer should be a good insulator against outside disturbance. What do you think?
I keep water and food in an esky in my car using the same theory.

Seems to work OK.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.