Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are peppers as a plant seasonal? By this I mean does the plant itself die after its has grown its peppers?

Or does it stay alive all year round for several years?

·
Banned
1,290 Posts
In tropical environments peppers can live multiple years. You could bring it inside and get the same results provided it has plenty of sunlight and warmth.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so they can live year on year provided they get enough light and warmth is the general consensus.

Its not the right time to plant them now but im thinking of doing it anyway so it is larger and produces more when it seeds

·
Certified Organic Grower
4,969 Posts
It's possible to extend the life of peppers (and some tomatoes too) by moving them to a warm and well lit location for the winter.
The plant will continue to produce, but the harvest numbers and quality will start to taper off.

The first season of growth takes a lot of energy unfolding, and then providing a harvest.
By the end of season, the plant is fully mature and tired.
Bringing it in for the winter will help it get some energy back, but placing it back out the following year will not be enough...your harvest numbers will show that.

It's best to start from seed (indoors way before last frost date)
Transplant right after threat of last frost date
Compost plant (if not diseased) at end of season, then repeat the process.

The difference between a new plant unfolding vs a plant from last year replanted is very distinct....and so will the harvest numbers/quality.

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
My dad grows ghost peppers in Florida. He grows them year round BUT after each harvest he trims them down and tents them to keep cool for several weeks to rest. Then moves the tents to the other garden. So they alternate which is actively producing. He keeps his 5 years then retires them to the compost. He said it takes 2 years to get great production on them.

I'm trying different methods here with the peppers and seeds he sends me to keep them growing through winter but haven't been successful. The closest I came was a couple I refrigerated in brown bags. They lasted from October to January in the fridge. When I looked in February they were showing signs of deterioration so I took them out and they died while I was trying to nurse them back in pots.

This winter I'm going to try packing them in a sterile medium instead of the soil I used. The soil had mulch mixed in and seemed like it molded.

·
My Temperature is Right
5,578 Posts
It depends where you live. As long as the plant does not freeze it will continue to bear fruit and form a woody stem. Kinda like lantana. North of Orlando peppers are annuals.

·
Registered
29 Posts
in africa people grow peppers for several years. they just trim the branches after harvest. but im not sure it works well if youre not in tropical climate......

·
Registered
49 Posts
We have one sweet pepper plant that we call "the pepper tree". It's two years old and still producing. It lives inside my workshop in the winter. It's got at least a dozen peppers on it right now!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts