Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, let's say the economy crashes and a hoarding food law is passed. Which type of food is counted? If store bought food has been opened and re-packaged, would this food be counted toward hoarding? Also, what about food that is canned with a pressure canner? I would think store bought canned food would be counted and not the other two.

·
Behind Enemy Lines
3,408 Posts
was such a law ever enacted in the US? I wonder (don't know, that's why I am asking). I can see "price gouging" laws, controlling retailers that want to take advantage of a bad situation, but I don't know how they'd ever control individual purchasing habits........

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
Wasn't there an anti hoarding law for food and gold early on in the 20th century? Like around the time of the Great Depression?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I was talking to my father and he's worried about what happened when he was a kid. People would hide everything when the feds sent people out and took there hogs,chickens, smoked meat and what ever they called excessive. I was wonder myself if this was just in North Carolina. He also talks about Government dumping hogs, fruit and other things in the ocean to raise prices. I was thinking this sounds crazy and maybe he's getting old?

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
Keith, not at all. In the beginning of Oct. after that 777 point drop in the dow, I was talking with my g-mother in law. She has lived in Palestine TX all her life (shes 85) and recalls the depression years quite well. She told me that the "government" swept through the area and slaughtered cattle. Her family lost about 20 heads, but other lost herds in the thousands.

They were told it was because of hoof and mouth disease (anthrax) but she nor her father saw symptoms of it.

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
I think the verb is wrong. How is one to tell the difference between a food hoard and careful use of resources? And what do they do? Show up with a hoard search warrant? I think rationing is far more likely.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
If we ever got to the point where there was an EO put out about hoarding food, I might think that we'd already be under martial law. Now, how dutifully and to what extent they might enforce such a thing, could be open for debate.

I guess we could speculate whether the powers that be could even imagine that we would 'can/jar' our own food, since they're so far removed from reality. They might just only include 'store bought'. If food stuff's have been removed from their original packaging, it's possible they might not want it. It might also depend on what the authorities plan on doing with it. Are they going to redistribute it? Do they intend to destroy it?

My Granny used to hide canned foods every where, in the tool shed, under her bed, in the garage, in the barn etc. I knew it had something to do with the depression, but again, it was another question that I didn't ask any details about.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Thanks for this thread. It is food for thought. After9/11 many of our more local government officials came out and said that we shouldn't hoard gas or food. They never made it a law but they made it very clear they didn't want people to, I guess take care of themselves. If TS really did HTF would they make it a law.

My problem would be that I have a diesel tank here that is filled. It's known by my supplier that it's here. Would the government force suppliers to give up a list of their clients?

I'll have to talk with my supplier and ask who all has the right to his list of clients and what he would do if a law like this was enacted.

Thanks again.

rill

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There was a hoarding law during the depression. We had an article about it on this forum, but I don't believe that article stated which food the goverment would consider toward this law. Most people would not trust food that someone canned...that wasn't store bought or that was opened.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The gov does pay farmers to not plant as much and actually buys foods to help control it in the market. Imagine that Suppose to keep prices at a certian level to help farmers. Go to a farmers market and check the prices there and then to Wally World.

·
Registered
91 Posts
To my knowlege there are no anit hording laws in the US. However anti hording decrees were issued from the White House after national emergencies were declared. I would look it up to verify but I believe these decrees were issued during WWI, WWII and during the Cuban missle crisses. I don't beleive that anit hording laws will be passed. It would be easier to let FEMA handle it at the piont of a gun. After marshall law is declared.

·
Scarred for life...
3,295 Posts
If this gets bad enough yes there will be some sort of hoarding law.

Of course they wont call it that but its net effect will be to reduce the amount of food you can have stored in your home.

When it happens, expect wholesale pandemonium at the grocery store as millions of people promptly ignore the order and go out and buy everything they can find. Kind of like now with guns and ammo except 100 times worse.

You may ask yourself why would they do that? Well, if food stocks are low such as with rice earlier this year, establishing quotas will (conceivably) reduce demand and lower the price. In reality it will have the opposite effect to the extreme.

It could begin in response to a major disaster or war, both of which would either stretch food production resources thin. What about a prolonged drought or flood such as we had recently in Iowa?

Personally I do have food stores well in excess of a months supply. It truth I wish I had enough to last me and mine for 3 years but I dont. I just dont have enough space to store it all.

·
Fashionably Prepared
78 Posts
Since I have been gradually building my stock for many years, there is no point when anyone could have reviewed my purchases and been alerted to anything unusual. I would think the first people who were targeted were the ones who ran out in a panic and bought everything in sight.

Additionally, thanks to Mountainhouse and MREs and other similar products, stashing extras with long shelf life is easier than the situation our Depression-era grandparents lived in. Kind of hard to hide whole hogs.

I guess the first line of defense is to be smart and not attract attention. There are plenty of stupid people out there to play the role of chaff.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
I remember back to the prepping for Y2K. One of the forums I was one there was a post about the Hoarding Laws for the State of Hawaii.
They were pretty clear on what the state could call "excessive stockpiling", and the state could take what they felt was excessive.
There wasn't weights or numbers, it was up to the bean counter in charge........

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Im stocking up right now, on non-perishable items for example, toilet paper, kleenex, soap, garbage bags. Stuff that i know will not go bad and I can forget about for a while. I only aspire to a 3 month supply for the foreseeable future, since my main concern is having food. Might not be much, but it would be a temporary ease if we hit hyperinflation and it is just hard to afford food.

·
Registered
102 Posts
there is some FEMA directive

there is some fema directive or something like that, but i think it mostly applies to farmers, although i am sure someone could misuse it to apply to people who are stocked up. i don't think it has been used in the recent past, but it is newer, and it isn't exactly a law. Certainly not a legal one anyway.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts