Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping someone here can help me out - when Eotech says a certain model (like the 512) isn't night-vision compatible, what do they mean by that? Is it just the level of brightness, or the actual light frequency of the image that would mess up night-vision? Is it not compatible with IR-based night-vision, or just the light amplification models? I went through their web site and I couldn't find any details.

Thanks in advance

·
Swirl Herder
3,615 Posts
I'm hoping someone here can help me out - when Eotech says a certain model (like the 512) isn't night-vision compatible, what do they mean by that? Is it just the level of brightness, or the actual light frequency of the image that would mess up night-vision? Is it not compatible with IR-based night-vision, or just the light amplification models? I went through their web site and I couldn't find any details.

Thanks in advance
As I understand it, the NV models have several lower brightness settings that are dim enough to not flare out a night vision device that looks through the sight.

By IR-based night-vision, I assume you mean thermal, which Eotechs and Aimpoints and all other red dots are not compatible with (as thermal cannot see through glass).

Night vision devices (that just amplify ambient or artificial visible or IR illumination) can be used with NV models of Eotechs.

Depending upon the amount of ambient light, you first set the gain of the NV unit to get the right brightness, then you set/bring up the Eotech dot brightness to be visible but not flare out the NV device (and make seeing what is beyond the sight difficult/impossible).

When set properly, you can use the Eotech pretty much the same as in daylight.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts