Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im thinking of making a homebuild; a survival rifle. A rifle that chambers a medium to heavy pistol cartrige (e.g) 12.7mm(.50), .357auto or magnum) so it will be a modified rifle, but im looking for answers on what would be a good rifle to chamber it. Im thinking either AR-15 or FN FAL...ideas?

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Were it me, I'd look into an AR-45, .45 Auto. Good magazine options out there.
Keep us posted, and don't be shy with the pics of your progress.

·
Registered
531 Posts
How easy is it to get ammo for it? With a large bullet you have weight to
carry. shortage of parts if something should break.
A common rifle would be a little easier to get and maintain.....
The 223 with a good bullet say the 65gr sgk, 64gr win, or CCI Golddot 62gr
would do a good job and the AR is easy to get parts....
As for the 45 cal choice in an AR upper lots of choices and you can go to an 5.56 upper with two pens.....
Just my ..... .02

·
space samurai
455 Posts
a rifle chambered in .50 ae is going to recoil like a rifle.
but, its going to have a poor sectional density limiting its game getting ability, and poor bc, its going to have a trajectory like a 12 gauge, maybe a .45-70.

if this is a fun range toy then have at it, if this is for survival, i would say not such a good idea. maybe a .450 bushmaster would fit the bill better, or a .338 federal. even a .458 socom would be better.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
A 12.7mm auto (.50auto) is not underpowered- if anything its overpowered.
Jeffery is right, and if you think the 50 AE pistol round is overpowered you need to learn about wound ballistics and stop looking at data sheets. Most **** poor rifle cartridges will make the 50AE look like a bug bit in comparison. Yes you can kill with it, and yes you can kill with a .22 lr. That said if you expect anything closely resembling the capabilities of a assault rifle from a pistol caliber you need to rethink much of your knowledge on firearms.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
a rifle chambered in .50 ae is going to recoil like a rifle.
but, its going to have a poor sectional density limiting its game getting ability, and poor bc, its going to have a trajectory like a 12 gauge, maybe a .45-70.

if this is a fun range toy then have at it, if this is for survival, i would say not such a good idea. maybe a .450 bushmaster would fit the bill better, or a .338 federal. even a .458 socom would be better.

I was also thinking 45-70 govt....but i think ill stick with a more common round...such as .45 or .357 or maybe 12.7

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jeffery is right, and if you think the 50 AE pistol round is overpowered you need to learn about wound ballistics and stop looking at data sheets. Most **** poor rifle cartridges will make the 50AE look like a bug bit in comparison. Yes you can kill with it, and yes you can kill with a .22 lr. That said if you expect anything closely resembling the capabilities of a assault rifle from a pistol caliber you need to rethink much of your knowledge on firearms.
such as a 50-70govt round, or even a pistol .500 S&W or .460 S&W, however, they still use .50 AE to hunt Grizzly. I am thinking of 12.7 because my friend made a homebuild with it chambered in an AR-15, and i have to say that i really liked it. Of course i dont expect rifle capabilities from a pistol cartridge. This is an idea for a homebuild. And a survival rifle. As you see in the Colt Survival rifle (I cannot remember the name) they use .22lr. I am simply asking for what would be best to start with for a homebuild for a survival rifle using other than its original caliber, and using a pistol cartridge; or even a smaller or larger rifle caliber.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What's its effective range?
a 300 grain has a velocity of 1,550 fps...i know that...But after some quick research i decided that 12.7 is not the best cartridge to start. Ill either do .45 or the 7.62x39mm round due to its ready availability and that it is shorter than the .223 round so i wouldnt have to modifiy too much as opposed to larger rounds. Good idea?

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
You can hunt just about anything with anything if you have the right setup, for survival I picture less the happy circumstances so even the 500 S&W which is a potent pistol cartridge wouldn't be my choice for fiddling with as a survival rifle, hence the point I was trying to make.

You are more then welcome to make it anyway you wish. As for 7.62x39 would be good and you might be inclined toward the 5.45x39 which are pretty prevalent as well.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You can hunt just about anything with anything if you have the right setup, for survival I picture less the happy circumstances so even the 500 S&W which is a potent pistol cartridge wouldn't be my choice for fiddling with as a survival rifle, hence the point I was trying to make.

You are more then welcome to make it anyway you wish. As for 7.62x39 would be good and you might be inclined toward the 5.45x39 which are pretty prevalent as well.
Thank you. And yes, the .500 S&W would be impractical. And yes, i do agree on the Kalashnikov round (7.62x39), but the 5.45x39 would not be a very good survival rifle in my opinion simply because of the uncommonness...i believe that that it the round used in the Kalashnikova AK-74, correct?

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Thank you. And yes, the .500 S&W would be impractical. And yes, i do agree on the Kalashnikov round (7.62x39), but the 5.45x39 would not be a very good survival rifle in my opinion simply because of the uncommonness...i believe that that it the round used in the Kalashnikova AK-74, correct?
Yes but think about this. While everyone things world ending devastation if the US goes into a survival environment, I bet you a silver coin lots of other places will be active, and what do you think will be produced, is in great surplus around the world? The 5.45x39 has been around a while and is one of the more popular rounds being produced and warehoused, and the good old weapons dealers(yes they exist and do travel on big ass ships with huge surpluses) will probably have that ammo as well. Might be the first surplus we see, might not be, just a thought.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes but think about this. While everyone things world ending devastation if the US goes into a survival environment, I bet you a silver coin lots of other places will be active, and what do you think will be produced, is in great surplus around the world? The 5.45x39 has been around a while and is one of the more popular rounds being produced and warehoused, and the good old weapons dealers(yes they exist and do travel on big ass ships with huge surpluses) will probably have that ammo as well. Might be the first surplus we see, might not be, just a thought.
You very well may be right...good thoughts. ill take em into mind.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ill see if i can get ahold of that book. Have you ever seen the film "God of war"? It is (Based on your descriptions) very very similar.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Yes I have actually about 10 ish years ago they got a freighter in the Med full of munitions bombs artillery etc i think that is where the movie was loosely based on. 2 more have been found since the first which was hypothisied/talk about by robert ludlum.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes. Very good movie. And i heard about that. Very interesting. Would love to find one of those unguarded, know what im saying? ha ha.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts