Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, thank you all for keeping me informed all these years as I have read this forum without being a participating member until last week. I have been obsessed with end of the world scenarios since my childhood when I was profoundly impacted by the Cuban missile crisis but never thought in my lifetime that one would actually happen.

The Covid-19 situation has convinced me that this time the threat is for real. I am a single professional woman who lives alone in an urban area of SoCal. I vote Democrat and don’t own a gun. I’m not a survivalist like many of you—I will never have a bunker and in a true TEOTWAWKI situation, I’ll exit this world as soon as I can.

I am almost 65 years old with genetic HTN, meaning that no amount of lifestyle changes will lower my blood pressure.From what I understand, my age and HTN places me at high risk if I get a Covid-19 infection.

I work for myself and am set up to be able to comfortably work from home in an LA suburb via the Internet. I have three months of my HTN meds stored, and two months of cat food and meds, and at least two months of my own food, water, and medical necessities stored.

My question is this—I am a single woman living alone in an urban area in a high-end apartment complex. What do I need to still do to be sure that I can ride out the first year of this crisis?

·
"eleutheromaniac"
3,277 Posts
My question is this—I am a single woman living alone in an urban area in a high-end apartment complex. What do I need to still do to be sure that I can ride out the first year of this crisis?
I doubt that you will like any of the non-sugarcoated "Honest" answers you will get. But.....If you are truly serious......MOVE.

Actually that is the single thing that most everyone could do to greatly enhance their survival. But people have hundreds of reason why they can't do that.

I could give you a long list of other things......but to be blunt, if your hell'bent on staying in danger......the rest of it does not matter.

Sorry.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I doubt that you will like any of the non-sugarcoated "Honest" answers you will get. But.....If you are truly serious......MOVE.

Actually that is the single thing that most everyone could do to greatly enhance their survival. But people have hundreds of reason why they can't do that.

I could give you a long list of other things......but to be blunt, if your hell'bent on staying in danger......the rest of it does not matter.

Sorry.
I am not a snowflake. I am posting here for honest answers. Unfortunately my professional situation does not support a move.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One of them.

Otherwise your just a storage depo for whoever wants to take your stuff.

Welcome to being a conservative.;)
Yes my political orientation has been shifting for years now. I really don’t like our current President but could easily vote for someone who was not a democrat. And yes I have no problem arming myself.

·
Registered
34,688 Posts
Yes my political orientation has been shifting for years now. I really don’t like our current President but could easily vote for someone who was not a democrat. And yes I have no problem arming myself.
Most of us don't like him.
We voted for him AGAINST the others, not FOR him.(separate discussion.)

You need to find out what your local laws are, and decide if you want something like a 9mm carbine (light rifle) or shotgun.
Or also a handgun. (There are wait times where you live)

I believe it is too late to move, but (since you work online) why do you say it keeps you from moving?

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
I really think I need to have a weapon and train with it. Is this the glaring hole in my plan?
You need to be honest with yourself and ask yourself could you use a weapon to take a life or protect a life, if your answer is yes than take a self defense class and practice.

Meanwhile extra food and water should be #1 priority, I believe a weapon is a tool in the toolbox and it may never be used but there if needed.

Oh and don't forget extra food for your pets.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, you still have to work and cannot go out 1-2x/month or less?

Doo your foresee water/power staying on?
Yes if I stay in my current area I do have to work, and this is my preference. But I am my own boss and can easily stay sheltered except for going out one or two times a month.

I imagine that water and power will stay on. However, if we end up in a true TEOTWAWKI situation, I have enough pills for me to exit the world comfortably. I am fat and juicy enough that my cats, or anyone who should happen to find me, will dine well on my carcass.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Most of us don't like him.
We voted for him AGAINST the others, not FOR him.(separate discussion.)

You need to find out what your local laws are, and decide if you want something like a 9mm carbine (light rifle) or shotgun.
Or also a handgun. (There are wait times where you live)

I believe it is too late to move, but (since you work online) why do you say it keeps you from moving?
I am a psychotherapist who has been in private practice in this area for three decades. I need to stay near my referral base, and licensing laws prevent me from moving out of state.

·
Wannabe Mountain Hermit
13,834 Posts
Hon, I hate to say this but you need a way to protect yourself. You are a sitting duck for those who won't give a damn that you're elderly.

The best way is to get a firearm of some kind and try to learn how to use it. You need more supplies than what you have because a lot of us are expecting this to last a lot longer than just a few months. It looks like it's gonna get a whole lot worse before it gets better unless a miracle happens.

If this get's better you have a reprieve and need to move out of the suburbs into an are that has some land where you can grow your own food.

I live in the middle of a town of a little over 24,000 people. My back yard is fenced in with a 6 ft high sheet metal fence surrounding a 50 ft wide X 75 ft backyard. I am putting in a garden this year. Our town allows us to have 9 laying hens. I have 4 plus 4 dogs to alert me if anyone comes close to our fences. The 2 biggest ones will attack anyone who comes through the gates.

I have several autoimmune diseases which have tried to kill me several times over the last several years. My dr has told me that if I catch this virus I will more than likely die because I have a lowered immune system because I have to take a immunosuppressant to keep my immune system from attacking my organs. But that dosen't mean i'm not gonna try to keep myself alive. I'm just too damn stubborn to give up without a fight.

You have to have a way to protect yourself. I could care less that you're a Democrat, Republican, etc. That has no bearing on this situation at all. You need to start doing something.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You need to be honest with yourself and ask yourself could you use a weapon to take a life or protect a life, if your answer is yes than take a self defense class and practice.

Meanwhile extra food and water should be #1 priority, I believe a weapon is a tool in the toolbox and it may never be used but there if needed.

Oh and don't forget extra food for your pets.
Oh hell yes I could shoot someone. And I have enough water and food for at least three months. And enough for my two kitties for the same, with more on the way.

·
Registered
34,688 Posts
Yes if I stay in my current area I do have to work, and this is my preference. But I am my own boss and can easily stay sheltered except for going out one or two times a month.

I imagine that water and power will stay on. .
Then you don't need much that's "specialized"

just look at what you consume in a month and fill a chest freezer with what's not shelf stable.

Protective equipment and read up on decontamination for your occasional trips out.

since you say subdivision I assume you have a back yard.
Buy some seeds and look into sqft and container gardening.
(Fresh produce decontamination is questionable at best.)

·
Registered
8,081 Posts
First off, thank you all for keeping me informed all these years as I have read this forum without being a participating member until last week. I have been obsessed with end of the world scenarios since my childhood when I was profoundly impacted by the Cuban missile crisis but never thought in my lifetime that one would actually happen.

The Covid-19 situation has convinced me that this time the threat is for real. I am a single professional woman who lives alone in an urban area of SoCal. I vote Democrat and don’t own a gun. I’m not a survivalist like many of you—I will never have a bunker and in a true TEOTWAWKI situation, I’ll exit this world as soon as I can.

I am almost 65 years old with genetic HTN, meaning that no amount of lifestyle changes will lower my blood pressure.From what I understand, my age and HTN places me at high risk if I get a Covid-19 infection.

I work for myself and am set up to be able to comfortably work from home in an LA suburb via the Internet. I have three months of my HTN meds stored, and two months of cat food and meds, and at least two months of my own food, water, and medical necessities stored.

The virus doesnt live well outdoors, so going to the beach, taking a walk outside etc should be fine. I would mainly stay away from any place indoors with other people.

We dont really need to worry about supply chains getting shut down, but in china people were not allowed to leave their homes. Instead the govt did food drops and some people (and pets) were reportedly "starving".

liberals love govt overreach so I could easily see california declaring a mandatory quarantine.

with that in mind you should stock up on food so that if you are forced to stay in your home you can ride out around 60 days. Since I doubt electricity/water/gas will be shut off you can get frozen meat and vegetables which taste a lot better than canned. If you have to, get a dedicated freezer.

I have a pressure sprayer and will use it to have a light bleach solution that I can use to spray packages, delivered groceries, etc. Wash your hands when you get home and change your clothes.

cook everything yourself, dont eat any restaurant food. If you really really have to eat outside food you can microwave it for 2 minutes which has a good chance of inactivating any virus on the surface of the food.

At your age you really dont want to get it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hon, I hate to say this but you need a way to protect yourself. You are a sitting duck for those who won't give a damn that you're elderly.

The best way is to get a firearm of some kind and try to learn how to use it. You need more supplies than what you have because a lot of us are expecting this to last a lot longer than just a few months. It looks like it's gonna get a whole lot worse before it gets better unless a miracle happens.

If this get's better you have a reprieve and need to move out of the suburbs into an are that has some land where you can grow your own food.

I live in the middle of a town of a little over 24,000 people. My back yard is fenced in with a 6 ft high sheet metal fence surrounding a 50 ft wide X 75 ft backyard. I am putting in a garden this year. Our town allows us to have 9 laying hens. I have 4 plus 4 dogs to alert me if anyone comes close to our fences. The 2 biggest ones will attack anyone who comes through the gate.

I have several autoimmune diseases which have tried to kill me several times over the last several years. My dr has told me that if I catch this virus I will more than likely die because I have a lowered immune system because I have to take a immunosuppressant to keep my immune system from attacking my organs. But that dosen't mean i'm not gonna try to keep myself alive. I'm just too damn stubborn to give up without a fight.

You have to have a way to protect yourself. I could care less that you're a Democrat, Republican, etc. That has no bearing on this situation at all. You need to start doing something.
I’ve been doing quite a lot for an urban SoCal Democrat single woman. But I clearly need a weapon. I think that must be my next step and I have no problem going there. I would love suggestions about what I should look for in purchasing my initial armament?

·
Bad Moon Rising
8,895 Posts
Probably one beneficial thing would be to take three deep breaths and un-stress a bit.

The voracious 24/7/365 mainstream media news cycle means that events such as this routinely ascend to new heights of breathless hyperbole, IMO designed to evoke strong reactions out of proportion to actual risks.

It is not that risks do not exist - clearly there are risks. Most of those initially impacted, however, were essentially uniformed of those risks.

Unless individuals are living under a rock, however, no one on the planet could - at this point - miss being informed of the risks. Reasonable precautions to include minimizing other-than-essential contact with others: self-quarantine; working from home/teleworking/Skype/etc.; avoiding appointments/eating out/face-to-face meetings; and washing one's hands frequently/avoid touching one's face; etc. can mitigate existing risks to reasonably low levels of probability.

Give your quote: "I work for myself and am set up to be able to comfortably work from home in an LA suburb via the Internet. I have three months of my HTN meds stored, and two months of cat food and meds, and at least two months of my own food, water, and medical necessities stored"; it appears you are set up in a satisfactory environment to reduce risks to 'as low as reasonably achievable'. Set yourself up to conference with friends on Skype or one of the internet-based meetings apps: order groceries delivered; and basically go to ground for a month or two before re-assessing the situation at that time.

With great respect to all those profoundly impacted by the COVID-19 virus, this is not an "end of the world" scenario. It's more of a "global wake-up call" scenario.

Coronavirus produces higher morbidity rates than seasonal influenza, it is true.

Reasons for this, however, include the fact that this is first contact with this virus for humans. "While many people globally have built up immunity to seasonal flu strains, COVID-19 is a new virus to which no one has immunity. ...That means more people are susceptible to infection, and some will suffer severe disease."

But this does not mean the disease will spread uncontrollably into a global pandemic of uncontrollable contagion. A table in the article below compares COVID-19 morbidity to that of SARS, MERS, and Ebola - the coronavirus is significantly less lethal than these other diseases.

[from the below linked article] "COVID-19 does not transmit as efficiently as influenza, from the data we have so far," Ghebreyesus said.

That means containment is still possible.

"We don't even talk about containment for seasonal flu — it's just not possible. But it is possible for COVID-19," Ghebreyesus said. "We don't do contact tracing for seasonal flu, but countries should do it for COVID-19, because it will prevent infections and save lives."

More information in the link below -

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-compared-to-flu-mortality-rates-2020-3

It sounds to me as if you've taken reasonable precautions. There is no particular reason to expect that further behavioral and social modifications to your lifestyle would not be able to reduce your risk even further.

Hang in there.

JMHO. YMMV.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts