Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[My preference is to be low key. I'd move my magazines in something lower profile like an 'active shooter bag' with a few deception patches, the type with no external magazine pouches and the bag is primarily for me to get back home from short distances or grab and go around the area. That explained, I can ask my question and folks can know where I'm coming from.]

OK, a lot of folks buy tactical vests, usually MOLLE or with pre sewn pouches to hold their magazines. Some buy old or knock off LBV's, and some even have TA-50/782-ALICE type pouches and stuff...then there are those who us AK and SKS vests, and magazine pouches. I suspect most plan on carrying their semi automatic rifles and MBR's openly.

So the world ends and crap begins in a few days. Everything is chaos. Lots of folks are paranoid and others are frightened.

For those who have adopted a paramilitary look in their survivalism:

1. What impression and response do you think you'll get from regular unarmed civilians when you move into their area?

2. What impression and response do you think you'll get from Law Enforcement when you move into their jurisdiction?

3. What impression and response do you think you'll get from military personnel when you move into their area of operations?

4. What impression and response do you think you'll get from discretely armed gray preppers when you move into their territory?

5. What impression and response do you think you'll get from discretely armed predators when you move into their hunting grounds?

I am in no way slamming those who prefer the gear. The gear is wonderful for it's purpose and as I seek to preserve options, I've got ample MOLLE gear.

I'm wondering what the plan is manage the response from others who see a person, obviously heavily armed and sporting a lot of magazines during a period of crisis.

Does anyone know how the LEO's, military, gangs, and civilians reacted to anyone who wore a bunch of tactical gear and roved around New Orleans after Katrina dressed like he was in his own army and carrying an AK?

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Well first thing to consider is if things have gotten bad enough that you are walking around town or moving from town to town on foot with MBR in hand and wearing an LBV then police and military probably wont be much of an issue. Heck, for all we know THEY may be some of those we are protecting ourselves against. By that point, unarmed civilians wont be much of an issue since they will be holed up in FEMA camps. And 'gray preppers'? Why you gotta make it a color thing?

I want to give the impression that I am not one to be fooled with. I can think of no better a way to do that than to show everyone that I still have teeth. Anyone whos left by that point will probably be much the same.

All in all, if things have collapsed to the point that we have to be walking around with AKs and ARs then chances are you will WANT people to see that youre armed and anyone who isnt will probably be looked at more suspiciously or taken advantage of .

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
[My preference is to be low key. I'd move my magazines in something lower profile like an 'active shooter bag' with a few deception patches, the type with no external magazine pouches and the bag is primarily for me to get back home from short distances or grab and go around the area. That explained, I can ask my question and folks can know where I'm coming from.]

OK, a lot of folks buy tactical vests, usually MOLLE or with pre sewn pouches to hold their magazines. Some buy old or knock off LBV's, and some even have TA-50/782-ALICE type pouches and stuff...then there are those who us AK and SKS vests, and magazine pouches. I suspect most plan on carrying their semi automatic rifles and MBR's openly.

So the world ends and crap begins in a few days. Everything is chaos. Lots of folks are paranoid and others are frightened.

1. What impression and response do you think you'll get from regular unarmed civilians when you move into their area?

2. What impression and response do you think you'll get from Law Enforcement when you move into their jurisdiction?
considering i know alot of depudies and the sherrif im sure wed be on the same side
3. What impression and response do you think you'll get from military personnel when you move into their area of operations?
wed be getting along fine still am IRR so i can help oout my local NG units there too
4. What impression and response do you think you'll get from discretely armed gray preppers when you move into their territory?
I dont think it would be good since im not moving off the farm and youd better have a good reason to be chilling in my backyard
5. What impression and response do you think you'll get from discretely armed predators when you move into their hunting grounds?
lol armed = dead i patrol my property for poachers in good times and im pretty good at sneaking up on people too and while I might not be some super cool ninja able to take out battalions of dudes single handedly i am pretty sure im a bigg enough fish that it would be hard to swallow me there may be bigger fish in the sea but i would be unpleseant to try to eat
I am in no way slamming those who prefer the gear. The gear is wonderful for it's purpose and as I seek to preserve options, I've got ample MOLLE gear.

I'm wondering what the plan is manage the response from others who see a person, obviously heavily armed and sporting a lot of magazines during a period of crisis.

Does anyone know how the LEO's, military, gangs, and civilians reacted to anyone who wore a bunch of tactical gear and roved around New Orleans after Katrina dressed like he was in his own army and carrying an AK?
I dont have a "tactical vest" I do have interceptor body armour with front back and side plates and all the other goodies you can immagine a resourceful soldier would find over the course of four years

but i dont plan on going all tacked out anywhere jeans a plaid shirt and a rifle or my 357 is about all i rock around if i put on my armour its because something like ww3/riots is going on withing a mile or two of my house

and anything causing the disturbance would be dealt with

but honestly in any type of SHTF scenario i am more worried about *****/foxes getting into the chicken coop

deer rubbing on/eating my fruit trees

and rabits in the garden than i am having to go all rambo on something

do i have the gear yes i do but i did not activly go out and buy it i just found most of it or traded for it when i was in the army.

so i have a few foot lockers of stuff but itl prol be there when im old and grey and my grandkids will be like wow look at all this gear and these army pictures did you know grandpa was in the war in iraq?

and thats prol what the fate of all my tacticool stuff will be just a box of memories tucked away in the attic

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Yes I wear a level IIIA military vest and carry military type gear. Basic perception can be thought of in different terms, by BO plan surrounds moving at night and using the darkness as cover. Hunkering down during the day and staying put till dark again. So having someone see me is not a huge deal. With that being said the following are my perceptions of how things would go.

1. What impression and response do you think you'll get from regular unarmed civilians when you move into their area? Hard target, lets not mess with the guy that has all the gear and appears to be prior service and is most likely trained. Again if they see me.

2. What impression and response do you think you'll get from Law Enforcement when you move into their jurisdiction? Recently I look at the rioting in London and seriously think that police will be spread to thin and worrying to much about their own families to worry about someone peacefully moving through their area with a gun and vest. I imagine this will be standard in most areas if SHTF.

3. What impression and response do you think you'll get from military personnel when you move into their area of operations? Again moving at night, avoiding contact with military forces and road blocks (staying off roads). No contact is the best defense. I think you would be detained for questioning if not disarmed (perhaps temporarily) if seen.

4. What impression and response do you think you'll get from discretely armed gray preppers when you move into their territory? As long as you continue to move along and don't act threatening to their property/families/ways of life I think most will understand and not interfere. , Maybe distant questioning, again your goal, to just keep moving. not to many people are going to be out looking to get into a firefight when they don't have too.

5. What impression and response do you think you'll get from discretely armed predators when you move into their hunting grounds? I think you would encounter opposition and most likely get into a firefight, but beats not being armed without armor or lightly armed without armor where you have minimal protection. They may try and take your gear, but they are going to do this anyway irregardless of what your wearing/carrying, the question lays in whether or not they succeed. The goal is to be able to safely defend yourself and your property. I would use the time of day/total darkness/weather/terrain/noise of highways, firefights, nature to my advantage and again try not to make contact. Your goal is to be discrete and avoid contact unless totally necessary. However in the event that you need to make contact (food/water/resupply) being armed and geared the way you are; you might be able to land yourself a security job to trade for some rations in a MAG type community.

Just some food for thought.

Edit: I also have a concealable IIIA vest with 5 11 pants and long and short sleeve under armor, button up shirt and concealable holster, but like azb mentioned (below) its all about what scenario you encounter that will dictate what you wear and when. Also have a few belt single mag kydex holsters for my MBR. Stuff to make me kinda look like an operator, but that's not the goal, someone approaching me from a far wont see the gear till they get right up on me.

·
Renaissance Man
7,503 Posts
Different tools for different jobs.

We don't know what's going to happen. It could be anything from a simple long, slow, downhill slide to a catastrophic disaster that happens all at once. There could be people working together, there could be all out warfare.

Most of my gear is very gray man. Items like clothing and backpacks are generally civilian in subdued earthtones. For me, civilian stuff is more comfortable, lighter, generally works better, and I can wear it anywhere. Backpacking, to the movies, grocery shopping, to work, etc. I have made some mods (subtle and/or removeable) for carrying magazines and weapons if the need arises.

But I also have a LBE. If we get into a full on war (very doubtful, but why not be prepared?) then I can strap on tons of ammo and weaponry.

Just like weapons; small, easily concealable for everyday or low key use. Larger, more capable weapons in case of full on war. And stuff inbetween.

Why limit yourself to one way to react to what is possibly an infinite variety of situations?

Az

·
Banned
2,792 Posts
Most of my gear is high end civi stuff, north face, helly hansen.etc...designed to go to places like everest, if on foot bugging out i can adapt a MOLLE belt to my gear which will hold rifle and pistol mags...i have found the civi gear is lighter and more durable compared to milspec stuff...other than color, civi gear will out perform any milspec gear anyday...

·
Gone Galt
22,534 Posts
The only reason I would load up in the heavy stuff is if the area goes truly to S

By my definition:

Normal unarmed civilians are already going to be scared S-less, and I'm not a looter so maybe they would learn to appreciate my abilities.

Law Enforcement will be almost non-existent, either because they are spread too thin or bugged out to protect their own families. Plus, I'm one of the good guys, which will be displayed by my actions.

Military - see above

"Grey Preppers" - I stick to my business, they to theirs...

Predators - they attack me, I take them out...it's why I have the gear.

A few points:

I have a few "levels" of gear. From CCW on one side to the full S-storm gear on the other. I have ways to covertly transport rifles and mags, and I will just gear up to fit the situation.

The instinct to keep things hidden is because we have rule of law and may draw attention to ourselves. Again, the only reason I would need the heavy gear is because things have gone really really bad.

Protectors and looters look and act differently.

One of my recent projects and activities is to learn camouflage techniques and sniper skills. We are a long way from colonial times where men lined up against each other in straight lines. I plan on staying sneaky, protecting my area and loved ones, and laying on extreme violence on bad guys when I must. I will not be walking down the sidewalk in plain sight and full gear at noon.

For a good majority of the US landscape and most of the seasons: Multicam is your friend.

IMHO

·
Garbage Collector
11,363 Posts

Won't be moving through their areas, but the response I anticipate is to be given a wide berth.

Local LE here are my friends, we go shooting together on a weekly basis, I have a great relationship with them. I am not worried about them and they are not worried about me ;)

They won't be out here, and if they are the years I spent with special operations will serve me to avoid them.

I plan to stay in my rural AO and not venture into the cities so anyone that encounters me will be seriously lost.

I am the predator, all of the skills I've learned and used over the last 20 years was geared towards hunting men. My gear and mindset is still towards tracking, observing, and eliminating a threat before it becomes a problem.

Overall I don't care what impression the sheeple get, the smart ones will stay the hell away from me.

Reactions: Grevlin

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
well my team is mostly military(army infantry), If we move we will be moving as a team, team sized element with similiar molle gear, multicams, and m1a's/ar-15s well will look legit to what ever military and police that is left and give the dont F with us to every one else.
but i think at the point i am wandering around the countryside if i see some one all tact'd up with molle etc i would probably assess them as a potential threat but as long as they werent a threat to me then i wont bother them unless they have some cool gear haha

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for the responses. Looks like I've got a similar view...in my case, for the most part, I plan on staying as 'gray' as possible, blend in where I can and be able to stash stuff if need be.

I do have the gear as I preserve options and it's efficient.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,570 Posts
Predators - they attack me, I take them out...it's why I have the gear.
Chances are, if they attack you, they've taken you out. Let's not play the "bad guys bullets always miss, while mine always hit" mind game. It's unrealistic.

Personally, I want to look low value to reduce the likelihood of predators. I'm equipped, but I just don't want it to show.

·
Gone Galt
22,534 Posts
Chances are, if they attack you, they've take you out. Let's not play the "bad guys bullets always miss, while mine always hit" mind game. It's unrealistic.

Personally, I want to look low value to reduce the likelihood of predators. I'm equipped, but I just don't want it to show.

"It is believe at least 20 shots were fired in total, and five suspects are being sought by police, who released the video in hopes of identifying the gunmen.

Miraculously, no one was injured."

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I don't plan on being seen. I plan on being on my property and if anyone can see me then there stands a good chance they'll also see the business end of a firearm.

I don't need FULL tactical setup but having some tactical holsters and maybe some kevlar in case the S gets real bad. I think alot of tactical gear is for an assault role/ offensive role and my plan is for a defensive role. Given that in mind, I think it changes the gear needs quite a bit.

·
Garbage Collector
11,363 Posts
Precisely why I am maintaining my offensive capabilities as well, I want to be able to take the fight to intruders and keep them away from my area, as well as being able to defend it.

Skills that I spent years honing and then actively using in theater are going to become more valuable after shtf.

The small team I do have assembled are all veteran reconnaissance men, we have all deployed and trained together for years. Some of these guys I've known and worked with for 20 years.

Reactions: onealx4

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,570 Posts
"It is believe at least 20 shots were fired in total, and five suspects are being sought by police, who released the video in hopes of identifying the gunmen.

Miraculously, no one was injured."
Gangbangers and criminal types are not the only threats we'll be facing. There are a lot more "law abiding" gun owners, than criminals. I doubt they'll be all that law abiding when they're hungry.

Put yourself in their mindset for a minute. You see a juicy target. You shoot it in the back from cover, loot the corpse and move on. No sense taking the risk of them shooting back.

But I'm glad that the current criminal types can't hit the side of a barn. That alone has saved many lives.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Gangbangers and criminal types are not the only threats we'll be facing. There are a lot more "law abiding" gun owners, than criminals. I doubt they'll be all that law abiding when they're hungry.

Put yourself in their mindset for a minute. You see a juicy target. You shoot it in the back from cover, loot the corpse and move on. No sense taking the risk of them shooting back.

But I'm glad that the current criminal types can't hit the side of a barn. That alone has saved many lives.
Yeah but they look real cool holding their side arm sideways and cocking their wrist down like they are trying to shoot you in the head and exit out your heel. I like how they point the firearm sideways and hold it above their head. They don't even use the sights!

The only ones they seem to hit are the bystanders.

Come looting time, these idiots will be the first to get planted.

·
Gone Galt
22,534 Posts

a serious threat to be sure

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Gone Galt
22,534 Posts
What the heck is the hopping around and then fire technique? The have some footage of guys doing that during the Liberian War.
1. No practice, little bit of moron added in...too afraid of being shot to actually concentrate and aim to take out the target

2. no practice

3. more moron added in :D:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts