Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This year for Christmas, My wife and I want to get my brother something to show our appreciation for his years of service to our country.

He was in the Marines for 14 years and now is in the National Guard.

He will be eligible to retire next spring, but he will try to stay in for two more years.

What we decided to get him is a Bible. My wife likes the one we found that is for Marines.

It has the Marine emblem on it.

My question is... If you were a former Marine and now in another branch, would this be acceptable?

Also, How would we do his name on it? Would we do his last rank in the Marines? Or, His current rank in the NG.

Obviously I can't ask him, so I ask you.

Thank You! for your service. And may God bless you.

PJ

·
Banned
7,436 Posts
If you are getting it as a retirement gift it should be for the service he is currently in with his current rank (at the time of retirement.)

That being said once a person earns the title US Marine he is always a Marine. You might check if the manufacturer will add the Globe and Anchor in the records page of the bible you order with his dates of service and rank at that time.

·
This site Sucks
831 Posts
another nice thing would be a shadowbox (or what ever those display boxes are called) to display his ribbons and medals. i have one and its one of the few things i have left to show my service besides memories

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
maybe Tony Zinni's autograph on it lol

Reactions: PuddleJumper

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
As a Squid,tell the jarhead,thanks for your service.
He is,was,and always will be, Marine.
The custom Bible is an excellent idea.
I would go to some leather worker in your area, and have a custom cover made for it.
Just an idea.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies, I knew I could count on you.

It's not really a retirement gift, but more of a recognition of his service.

I have always been proud of him and I always try to let him know that.

Yep, I think he rocks too. :thumb:

He's eligible to retire next spring, but extended his enlistment two more years.

I'll come up with something special for that occasion too. I like the shadow box

idea. He has quite the chest full of medals. His time in the Corps includes a tour

on embassy duty, then in the gulf war in '91, and finished up in the corps as a Drill Instructor.

I figured this would be a way to recognize his time in the Marines, and I was thinking I would have his last rank and name on it.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

PJ

·
Registered
201 Posts
I wanted to simply answer the portion about giving something with the Marine emblem on it even though he is in the Guard now ... ABSOLUTELY!!

We never stop being Marines, no matter what else we do with our lives .... Once a Marine, ALWAYS a Marine!
Semper Fi

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies.

I know here in my family, he will always be the Marine.

I just needed to know that I was going in the right direction.

Now I need some more help.

We want to put his name on it.

He is not retired yet. His last rank in the Marines was Staff Sargent.

Would I be breaking any protocol by listing his name as follows:

SSgt. Last name, First name, Middle initial. ?

I guess I might be making to big a deal out of it, but I want it to be just right.

I did manage to get out of him last night that the time in the Corps mean a lot to him.

Thanks again for all your help.

PJ

·
Registered
201 Posts
Personally, I would prefer my Marine Corps ranking over any other ranking (I have also contemplated joining the National Guard due to their less stringent physical fitness requirements that my injury allows for me to pass for the Guard but not for the Corps... but I just can't do it).

I'm pretty sure he would love his Marine Corps ranking especially considering it is a Marine Bible.

And I don't think you're making a big deal out of it ... you want it just right and it is a situation in which requires some thought. Most Marines are profoundly proud of their time served and to be honored in that way means a great deal.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you are looking for Marine Corps related gifts, check out Sgt. Grit. They cater to Marines, the owner is a Vietnam Era Marine. My wife always gets me good stuff from them and I am pretty sure they have a bible like you are looking for and they will customize almost any gift.

Semper Fi,
Tnbear
USMC 1993-2003

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you tntkln and tnbear.

I already have the Bible, but I will check out Sgt Grit.

I'll need something for his retirement either next spring or in two years. He's eligible in the spring but he wants to stick it out two more years.

I'm definitely going with his Marine rank and name. Inside is a page for listing his service record. I'll fill that in with both his Marine service and the Guard service.

Again, Thank You All! for you help. And for all of you that are former Military,

Thank you for your service. It's you guys that make this country one worth living in.

PJ

·
Registered
78 Posts
Would it be within forum guidelines to state here that I deal in antiquarian books, and currently have several large, full leather-bound, illustrated, 19th century family Bibles available, should anyone be interested? Details available upon request.

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
...He is not retired yet. His last rank in the Marines was Staff Sargent.

Would I be breaking any protocol by listing his name as follows:

SSgt. Last name, First name, Middle initial. ?...
I would think it should read:

Last name, First name, Middle initial, SSgt USMC 19xx - 20xx

but then I was USN and what do I know about Marines?

Allan

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for doing the heavy lifting

I am a fine arts painter and sculptor. I will paint your Marines portrait for no charge. Hell he or She has already paid. It would be my honor. I would ask for proof (DD-214) and a photo and any unclassified history of battles of fire fights they participated in. If you know any one interested, let me know. This offer is also extended to any sailor who has been in combat Navy Corpsmen,Or Seal. ANY FALLEN OR WOUNDED TAKE PRIORITY !! Thanks!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow, Sherm. That is a great offer!

I will keep that in mind for his retirement gift.

Birdman, I like that format. kind of says it all.:thumb:

Thank you all again.

PJ

1 - 18 of 18 Posts