Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I'm currently trying to set up my bol my question is at what point do you see urself leaving your home and heading to your bol. And what are the senarios where you see yourself heading for the bol. Thanks for any input

·
Homesteader
1,222 Posts
I figured my odds of getting out of a major metro area along with a million other people, and didn't like the odds. I moved to my BOL almost ten years ago, and it has been a real eye opener for me.

All those things people talk and plan about doing when they bugout, I've already done them. I know the people, the country around me, and have developed connections with the community. This is a small town in a very rural county where if you haven't been here for 4 generations, you are still looked at funny.

It takes a while to get familiar with the locals, and for them to get to know you. I grew up 30 miles down the road, but I'm still from somewhere else.

This county is so rural that the county seat is just a little over 500 people. We have over 700 square miles of land with about 2900 people in the whole county.

·
Chains keep us together.
22,136 Posts
BOL is a very broad term, I dont want to live in a dugout in the woods.
I moved to Alaska 16 years ago, That was my version of buggin out of America
I bought a unfinished building and spent years making it a home, didn't have many neighbors back then and knew everyone on that road for miles around. Now it's getting more populated here.
Plus we put down roots, raised a family, built gardens, fences, animals,root celler, put in a cistern ect. so what was buggin out in the 90's has turned into buggin in now.

I think around most cities theres not a good plan for a BOL. If everyone leave's at once its going to be hard to travel, most people will do the minimun to get outside the citys to set up a BOL, and they wont be thinking about anything but theirselves.
Anything in the eastern states is really too crowed to hide very well. Even if you fould a perfect place in the middle of nowhere theres no chance your the first and that 20 people wont show up to the same spot before,during or after you. And you dont really own it unless you bought it anyways, so I think a BOL is not a good plan.
I think home steading is a better Idea and should be considered now rather then later.

If you cant do that I would make friends with a farmer, help out around the place, build some trust and get to know them well, because I'd rather live it my truck in a Barn then a hole somewhere or have everything I've planned out dissapear because when I showed up there was a greenie convention going on,.......in the woods.

·
Super Moderator
12,296 Posts
Only during a situation that staying would significantly increase my chances of death or injury, or the loss of my supplies, would I bug out to my brothers (the BOL).

Everything else is stay at home.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,532 Posts
I don't do scenarios. But I would head to the BOL if there was a reason that bugging in was not feasible. Bugging in has always been my primary plan. But there can be many things that would make that impossible. This is why we need to keep our eyes and ears open, pay attention, and try to spot a problem as it develops, rather than get caught up in it like the sheeple. And at first warning, bail now! Don't hang out to see if it gets worse. Better to make a couple false starts, than a single late one.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hey everyone I'm currently trying to set up my bol my question is at what point do you see urself leaving your home and heading to your bol. And what are the senarios where you see yourself heading for the bol. Thanks for any input
I've wondered about this also. I've just been praying that we would know when it was time to go. I've been thinking about our society's obsession with zombies. Can you imagine how quickly people who are addicted will turn into zombies? I agree that we need to keep our eyes open and not let anything catch us unawares.

·
off-grid organic farmer
23,954 Posts
I bought land in a forest, moved onto it and began building in 2005.

Since then I have built a 2400 sq ft house, and added an apple orchard, a nut and herb orchard, raised bed garden, 8 chicken coops [with a dozen poultry in each], 2 hog pens, a goat/sheep paddock, 3 bee hives.

I bugged out in 2005.

·
Indefatigable
21,059 Posts
We have to live in the city right now because of our jobs. We have plan A bug in and plan B bug out. Plan A was tested during an ice storm that locked up the city and left us without power or water for 11 days. We did just fine. When our jobs are no longer a consideration we will leave. BOL is fairly close, and we have planned several escape routes. Not only routes, but methods. We can walk if we have to.

·
Geronimo!
4,053 Posts
Our BOL is also our second home. It's near my parents in the Johnson City, TN area - within a 50 miles radius of there.

If things started really looking bad, we would go ahead and head up there. The wife would take leave of her job under a loophole that she found in their exztended-leave policy, and I would put my employees on leave, telling them that they needed to go home and take care of their families until things blew over. I've always preached to them the value of prepping, and warned them the day could come. But we've stashed some extra money away to divvy-up among them if it came to that - so that they could go buy more preps immediately. It's the best we could do.

Then we would bug-out.

On the other hand, if something were to happen instantly, like a total crash and collapse, we're ready to bug-in right here where we are now, well away from either city to our east or our west ... and my parents would have full use of our stores and preps at the other house. They are both in their early 70s but in good health and they are preppers in their own right. Dad, as a matter of fact, called today to tell me about his day on the range with his Mini 14. (Old timers seem to love those darn little rifles and I could not talk him out of it several years ago.)

Either way, we feel prepared.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
I see leaving my home when something like this happens.

In case your wondering, this is what happened after hurricane ike in bridge city.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well currently live about 5 miles outside of a town of 5000 people in central maine my bol is land that was given to me when a family member passed away. It alredy has a small cabin set up on it. The only reason id bug out is cause I know that land better then the land around my house. I've been hunting the area since I was 10. The area has a large stream running through it and a large amount of game. I'm just trying to figure out if something happened at what point would I stop going to work and pack my bags and get the rest of my family there. I guess what I'm asking is when do I actually pull the trigger onmaking the move.

·
Registered
324 Posts
This may sound a little weird but I think it is more of a personal decision. When would you take cover from a storm? You just seem to know at that time. It may be a gut feeling or something you see but can't really figure out what. Most important is to keep your eyes and mind open to what is going on around you. That is the time you decide if it safer to leave or stay put. Thats my take on it.

·
One of the Good Guys
268 Posts
Working on aquiring my BOL after 2 months of paperwork and negotiating a price. Thought I was going to have it 2 months ago, hopefully within the next 2 weeks now. Approx 180 secluded acres, 6 acre pond, well, lots of wildlife, house and shop on site. 35 minutes from where I currently live. My wife and I have already discussed this at length, we are going to use the BOL as a second (vacation/weekend) home and will set it up with and orchard and garden. Supplies will be placed and secured, improvements will be made. No animals planned at this time, except maybe guineas/ducks to run free. The location is away from any major route of travel and I feel it would be relatively easy to get to in a SHTF situation. I think what would make us feel the need to permanently relocate there or at least for an extended period would be civil unrest in our city or surrounding areas at the very least. Possibly even just a significant increase in crime/theft/assaults even without civil unrest. I just pray that doesn't happen soon, as I still need time to increase my prepping to the level it needs to be. I do feel I am almost there however. So in short, though I am not living at my BOL, I hope to soon be living there part time. And I think it's gonna be fun just having a place to go hang out...

·
Pass the beans, please
127 Posts
My personal preference is to find property near your work that you can live on now and prepare for any eventuality. Like others have said, it's extremely difficult to get out of a large metropolitan area in the event of civil unrest or disaster. It's also difficult to secure a location you don't live on with stores and other necessities.

Long term there has to be some kind of plan to garden and live off the land if needed and that takes tons of time, energy, investment, and experience (school of hard knocks gardening) to pull off.

I will take my chances where I am at and we are continually improving our land, our relationships with neighbors, and our garden/orchard. Hoping the economy keeps stumbling along so next year we can do livestock and put woodstove in the basement for heat.

I have always thought your chances for survival are much greater in a location you are familiar with that is selected with great care. The main concern I will have here at my house (on my own property) is security. I would have an ulcer thinking of all the concerns evacuating my residence with little kids would present.

I know that is not an option for everybody but if possible, find the best spot you can within a reasonable drive and prepare it now. Think of everything you will leave behind in terms of valuables and think of everything you will need to store at an unsecured BOL and the work you will be doing if you even get there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts