Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting to put some items in mylar bags such as beans, rice, salt, sugar and so on. My thought was to use regular 4 sided heat sealed mylar for salt and sugar, because once opened, it will all be dumped into a canister or some other dispenser and none will be left in the bag. But for items like beans, rice, elbow mac and similar items, I was thinking it would be good to get what we need and "seal" the mylar bag back up using the zip lock type bags. I still plan to use O2 absorbers and heat seal the zip lock bag above the zip lock thingy for potential long term storage.

My question is, when food is initially put into the zip lock mylar bags, does the zip lock seal hold tight? Or is there any leakage around it? If those things hold tight, then I will probably go on with my plan as stated above. We eat a lot of beans and rice, matter of fact, its a special night when we have beans, rice and cornbread for supper. We Southerners know how to eat good. :D:

Oh, I will be using 1 gallon or 1/2 gallon size bags for almost all items stored. My pantry can't hold those 5 gallon buckets of staples.

·
Just livin'
2,466 Posts
I have found that the zip lock mylar bags DON'T work. Others may have different experiences but that is how it worked out for me. Once the zipper is opened it would never close again.

The edge of the zip lock end is sealed so the zipper itself doesn't do anything for the actual sealing. The opposite end is what you have to seal up with the iron.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,497 Posts
The ziplock on those bags is for resealing them after you break the seal and start using them. But like all ziplocks, it's not a true O2 barrier. Air will get in, just a little slower.

I wouldn't worry too much about resealing things like beans, rice and such. That stuff lasts for a couple years just sitting on the shelf. You'll use it in plenty of time after you open it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The ziplock on those bags is for resealing them after you break the seal and start using them. But like all ziplocks, it's not a true O2 barrier. Air will get in, just a little slower.

I wouldn't worry too much about resealing things like beans, rice and such. That stuff lasts for a couple years just sitting on the shelf. You'll use it in plenty of time after you open it.
Thanks. I should have explained that on the beans and rice Mylar zip lock bags, I don't intend to re-seal with O2 absorbers and get an airtight seal. Just want to re-seal for short term use, kinda like a box of cold cereal or similar. It may be in LTS for several years prior to opening, but once opened it won't last that long. I just don't like leaving open food bags where roaches and such can mess with it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts