Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fruit trees/bush's and some flowers bloom and bear fruit year after year . I think they're called perenials .
Are there any perenial vegatables or herbs ???
Last year was my first attempt at growing vegatables . I did ok . After the growing season was over I worked the plants back into the soil with a hoe . If I had left the plants alone , would they have come back ? I planted zuccini , tomato , egg plant , green pepper , snap pea and cucumber .

·
My Temperature is Right
5,578 Posts
In their native environments peppers are a woody shrub, but most veggies cease to produce and die off once some fruit has reached maturity. That is why you must always keep ahead of your indeterminate plants once they start to bear. Most root crops have a mulit-year lifecycle where they form a rhizome or tuber the first year and go to seed the second year. Asparagus and rhubarb are true perennials. I guess you could include mint and strawberries in that.

·
•--• • •- -•-• •
3,028 Posts
I agree with Cranky. One thing though - I get volunteer tomato plants every year. Something ate one of my cherry tomato plants and a zuchinni plant. In the depression where the zuchinni was is now a volunteer tomato plant. Don't need it but that's kind of along the lines of your question.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
check with your local ag extension office about what grows in your area. this varies by location, but there are many perennial plants which can be grown in different areas of the country. A master gardener for your area should be able to list many reliable plants for your area and help you determine growing conditions which are best for them. best wishes

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
Agree with themom. Check locally because it depends on your location which things will come back. It also depends on what you consider fruits and vegetables.

Some 'edibles' I grow here that are perennials are leeks, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, apples, pears, grapes, black n blue berries, elderberries, rhubarb, daylily, pansies

herbs - basil, parsley, chives, oregano, bee balm, lemon balm, mint, chocolate mint, dill, rosemary, thyme

some self-seeding (not true perennials) are melons, potatoes, squash... I think that's all that's actually come back here so far although I'm sure others have had more 'volunteers'. These are just one that the last fruits of the year were left on the ground. And they don't always come back.

The rest I pretty much replant each year. ALL natural plants have the potential to reseed themselves. If they didn't we wouldn't have any today. The problem is most of the reseeding is done via birds and other animals eating the seeds and 'depositing' them in the ideal location to preserve through the winter and then re-grow.

·
7,504 Posts
Most spinach will reseed, and give you volunteers for years following the original planting, if it's allowed to go to seed. It can be weed-like in persistence. Of course, it will bolt, bloom, and produce seed when you have to be elsewhere overnight.

·
Tell the truth, coward.
15,585 Posts
Fruit trees/bush's and some flowers bloom and bear fruit year after year . I think they're called perenials .
Are there any perenial vegatables or herbs ???
Last year was my first attempt at growing vegatables . I did ok . After the growing season was over I worked the plants back into the soil with a hoe . If I had left the plants alone , would they have come back ? I planted zuccini , tomato , egg plant , green pepper , snap pea and cucumber .
Off the top of my head and not an exhaustive list by any manner of means...

rhubarb
artichoke
asparagus
Some varieties of bean
potatoes and sweet potatoes and such are perennial but people usually dig them up.

Most herbs are perennial except basil off the top of my head. Parsley is biennial meaning you need to let it go to seed in the 2nd year because it won't come back a 3rd.

None of your vegetables are perennial except the eggplant although it's usually grown as an annual in cold places, so would not have come back unless a fruit had been left and the seed from it had germinated. this might still happen even though you hoed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts