Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Simple question really. You wash them out, then wait until they're completely dry. Then fill them up with the stuff you want to store. Do you fill them up to the very, very top, and then squeeze in an O2 absorber? Do you fill them up so there is a large air bubble and put your O2 absorber in it? Do you put the O2 absorber at the bottom (like some people do) and fill it up over the absorber?

I thought this would be a simple, easy and cheap way to make small advancements in prepping. Keep every 2l bottle the family uses, and either a) fill it up with water or b) fill it up with a dry food

I don't know how long either will last, but it should be a while.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,569 Posts
As long as the air can get to the O2 absorber, it doesn't matter where it goes. Ideally, it should be wherever the air pocket is. So on top of the food is probably the best place.

·
Banned
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As long as the air can get to the O2 absorber, it doesn't matter where it goes. Ideally, it should be wherever the air pocket is. So on top of the food is probably the best place.
Why would there be an air pocket though? Wouldn't it be best to fill a bottle to the very top, for 2 reasons. a) it reduces the amount of air the absorber has to deal with and b) it increases your storage-per-bottle

·
Pleasantly demented woman
3,760 Posts
Why would there be an air pocket though? Wouldn't it be best to fill a bottle to the very top, for 2 reasons. a) it reduces the amount of air the absorber has to deal with and b) it increases your storage-per-bottle
Fine. So put it anywhere. :)

Reactions: Sigd

·
Banned
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
**** me.. I didn't know Oxygen absorbers were so expensive. Like £15 for 20 is the best deal I could find. I might start importing them and selling them on eBay, lol.

·
Banned
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
would the bottle be able to support that weight long enough? seems like the bottle would break down pretty quickly
Why? It's very tough plastic (PET bottles)

Tbh I'm not sure that this is even worth it. But I'm just trying to get started with *some* sort of storage, even if it does suck. Yesterday I had no storage, now I have reused 4x2l bottles of tap water which I have refilled with tapwater. That's gotta be an improvement to having nothing.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,569 Posts
The fuller you can get it the better, but there's going to be some settling and a bit of air at the top.

·
Banned
3,048 Posts
As you put your dry product in tap it on the counter every so often this will help with settleing. fill as full as possible. I have had beans and rice I stored in this manner that lasted 5+ years with no O2 absorber. This was before I knew there was such a thing, I was not a prepper, just lived in the country & stored extra food. Problem was I forgot to date things & stuck things away and found them years later. So since you are starting out fresh that is the best tip, date what you store and make a list of what you have & where and the date it was put up.

·
survivalist in training
1,954 Posts
As you put your dry product in tap it on the counter every so often this will help with settleing. fill as full as possible. I have had beans and rice I stored in this manner that lasted 5+ years with no O2 absorber. This was before I knew there was such a thing, I was not a prepper, just lived in the country & stored extra food. Problem was I forgot to date things & stuck things away and found them years later. So since you are starting out fresh that is the best tip, date what you store and make a list of what you have & where and the date it was put up.
Have you ever had experience with beans and white rice stored in 2 liter bottles going bad after five years?

·
Banned
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow that's brilliant news (if it's true).

My plan is to get about 100L of rice stored away

·
Banned
3,048 Posts
No worries, it's something to do with not being American, it sounds rude to us but it's not ment to be I'm sure. My beans were a little hard and had to be cooked longer but they tasted & digested just fine. The rice was all good. While soring away 100l of beans or rice be sure & store sufficent water to cook it. If it was me I would store water first, then beans then rice. You can't live without water, beans are protein & complex carbs, rice is only simple carbs, it will fill you up but beans are more nutious. Good luck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts