Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are looking to buy land for our bug out location. There will probably not be any shelter of any kind on the land.(Mountains, trees, brush, fields but no shed, trailer, house) We are wondering how do you prep an area with food, water, fuel, everything your preparing for, when you don't have anywhere to put it? Also how do you secure the perimeter when your not there and its a few hundred miles away?

·
Banned
2,077 Posts
We are looking to buy land for our bug out location. There will probably not be any shelter of any kind on the land.(Mountains, trees, brush, fields but no shed, trailer, house) We are wondering how do you prep an area with food, water, fuel, everything your preparing for, when you don't have anywhere to put it? Also how do you secure the perimeter when your not there and its a few hundred miles away?

Get some land with some hills on it, grab a backhoe and dig yourself a nice little hole in the side of one of them there hills and put a 40' container in the cutout. Bury all but the doors and you got yourself at least a place to store stuff. shipping Containers are a dime a dozen and cheap , they also come in other sizes.

·
American fearmaker
14,245 Posts
Cut a deal with a local cop. One from the jurisdiction. Do something like allow him to hunt deer or feral pigs or fish on the land since you live so far away. Tell him that only he is allowed there and actually give him a letter to represent you if he finds trespassers present. Tell him that you have a trailer or underground storage area that contains old camping gear and related items that you can't store at home in your apartment or small house. The angle of camping gear covers a multitude of items like food, ammo and most survivalist items. Also make sure that the land is posted with no trespassing signs, photograph the signs and date the photos then file them away in case you need them to prosecute a trespasser or two. You might even want to think about letting the local cop put a small travel trailer somewhere on your property for his hunting expeditions. Between you and the cop checking the property out, that should pretty much keep nosy people away from your stashed items.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have heard cautions about shipping containers not being able to handle the stress of being buried due to the thin sides and roof. I have no first hand knowledge of this but urge caution and you should check it out carefully first. No sense having a cheap shelter that collapses on you. I have also heard that culvert pipe in about an 8 foot diameter is a good alternative, but possible more expensive unless you can find scrap. Just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
2,025 Posts
Maybe start simple and then build to the bigger stuff.

A simple log cabin, given sufficient trees and sweat-equity, can be built in under a week. Form there, think about a 1) basic garden including a good deer and/or bunny proof fence, 2) securing a perimiter (lots of work to build fences, though, so maybe just fell trees to get a good "field of fire"), and 3) then building more comfortable living quarters.

It makes a tremendous difference if the place you will be buying is on an improved road. I have a rustic cabin that would be almost impossibleto bring a mobile home to, for example, and which it would be very expensive to have electric service run to. More rustic = cheaper, but also harder to make into a comfortable retreat.

HippieSurvivalist

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The land we are considering is at the base of a mountain range, very wooded(tons of timber) 4x4 only access in winter, way off the beaten path. It has streams and also some cleared out areas that would be good for a home and garden. The area doesn't look like the type that would have many or any visitors, but it only takes one, you know...Not a big fan of the authorities, and the area itself is so rural and difficult to access that I guess not to much of a concern. Maybe I'm just a bit paranoid. Are there any sites or books out there how to build underground storage, or how to prepare a site for a retreat?

·
96 Posts
loopnt.com (it is worth the membership fee)
ebay.com (you can get good deals from private sellers)

I am assuming you are wanting to spend as little as possible, just to prep the land to a basic living standard

here you go:

We are wondering how do you prep an area with food, water, fuel, everything your preparing for, when you don't have anywhere to put it?
Plant some apple trees (or any other fruit you want) NOW. They will be mature and bearing fruit in approx 6 years. Plant a ****load of them of different varieties since some will not make it.

Not a bad idea to plant some fast growing trees for fuel as well (google it)

Also plant a few trees in a configuration (corners of a box) that will let you convert them into a make-shift shelter with a few tarps since a basic shelter is better than sleeping in a tent all year (don't forget to slope the roof). Of course buy the tarps as well an keep them on site.

Grocery store shopping cart can make a decent grill if you take a grinder to it and cut off the wiring.

A food grade barrel would not be bad to leave up there for water storage when you are on site. Perhaps the tarp can feed into it as a cistern. Not bad for storage when you are not there.

Hit the army surplus store and see if you can get a few rocket tubes (originally for the transport of rockets). They can be buried with a post hole digger vertically. Great for storage and water tight for years. suggestions: axe, saw, gloves, 1st Aid, Ammo, water purification pills, Cheep pots (with lids) from a garage sale, soap. warm clothes, radio, batteries, flashlight, solar charger, fishing line, books on survival... you get the idea

Also how do you secure the perimeter when your not there and its a few hundred miles away?
defensive plants- thorny hedges (if they grow eatable berries then it would be a plus) again google

DO NOT BURY A SHIPPING CONTAINER!!!!!!!!!
Unfortunately, 40' containers support a little load on the structure since the corners are designed to held the weight (not the body) but the increase isn't linear. A 40', 30 ton container can only handle .84 tons per cubic yard of surface, or 15 inches of cover fill. I have seen them cave in with 9 inches of cover fill. Anyone that says you should bury it, has not done it.

Use a culvert instead. Submarines are round because it distributes the weight.

All and all if you invest a few hundred bucks right now it will make things easier down the road. Hope this helps.

Reactions: rm76rm

·
Banned
742 Posts
Read 'The Road' and get a sense of the underground bunker described there. Build a small bunker and put a utility shed on top of it as a disguise. Have a hidden entrance to the bunker. Both the bunker and the shed will be useful.

·
Renegade *******
228 Posts
East TN is not a place I would want to live during a bugout. Anyone ever here of Oak Ridge, the russians have and they will bomb it heavily. So East TN in the mountains is a bad idea. Move north into Kentucky no nuclear plants, development sites, or targets of interest there. Find my other posts and look at what I have setup.

·
Registered
377 Posts
There is a nice little book called 'Rustic Retreats'. I can't remember who the author is. I'll look it up when I get home. In it there are many different inexpensive and easy buildings that can be built by most people. I have built several of them myself on different parts of the farm just to have buildings that we can go to if we want to. If you are legally allowed to build on your land it would be best to get a building permit, if not you will have to work a bit more on the sly. A few plastic barrels buried and hidden around the property can give a few hiding places, but they have to be buried far enough away from any trail that someone won't accidently walk across the top of them and find them that way.

It's pretty much like any person who has a hunting cabin. You don't leave weapons, booze, matches, gasoline sitting around where people can see it. You don't talk about your place with the locals, but you do try to make nice with the locals. If there are hunters in the area, offer them to hunt on your land in exchange for them calling you if they see anything suspicious. Thing like that.

Best of luck.

BLT

·
Registered
525 Posts
Get to know some of your neighbors, be friendly, give them your phone number, email address, etc, and ask them to watch your place and call if their is a problem. Stop by the sheriffs office and ask if they are aware of any problems in the area. Pick up a few business cards, Chances are that your visit may generate an occasional random patrol. Make an occasional call or email to your neighbors and check in with them, try sending them a cheap wal-mart gift card for their help, something to show you are serious, and appreciate their help. You will be surprised how much vigilance you might get by that simple gift card. Until you have a structure or something worth taking you are reasonably safe. I have heard of several cases where property owners return to discover their trees have been cut for firewood, OOPS. Until you are a full time resident the key is to get to know people that can watch while you are away.

·
I travel light
2,026 Posts
I´d say buy something closer. Try to do a little digging in a hillside; and...I´d be very careful while dealing with authorities as well. This is valid all world around. I just don´t trust in police uniforms, but perhaps it´s that I´m becoming a little paranoid. I have the same problem; my retreat preferred land (mountains, cold weather, non access unless youride a mule or a rock crawler) is some kms away and the access to it would be nearly impossible. A most suited land around here is prohibitively expensive, so I´ve got kind of a compromise...

·
Registered
73 Posts
If you decide to bury a shipping container shore up the roof and walls with 4x4 framing and make darn sure you water proof the entire thing. I built a 12' x 20' gable shed that looks like a little barn (bought it from Lowe's). I covered the windows with two thicknesses of 3/4" plywood and lag bolted them over the window frame to keep the windows from being broke out. I also upgraded the door to a single steel door with a steel door frame. There are two deadbolts on the door (top and bottom) as well as the regular door knob. I finshed the inside with drywall and installed a wood stove, and built two sets of bunkbeds. It has loft storage for all of my forward deployed gear. I have a person that lives 250 yards from my place year round who is also preparing who keeps an eye on the place while i'm not around.

·
Renegade *******
228 Posts
We have a few guys how have built cabins over safe rooms. The way they like to do them is to dig out an area, put a container in place on a inground concrete slab, then pour concrete around the container on but a opening in the roof of it that they weld a 36inch diameter steel pipe to and a entrance and then finish by pour concrete on over the rest and burrying the whole thing completely. Then they build a simple cabin or shed above on a simple footer. One looks really good the others are ok, but they are solid and stable for long term storage and it gives them more room on the smaller lots that basic members get.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts