Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received this question off of youtube. Does anyone have any suggestions or comments?

I have a question about rabbit hunting. in my yard I have lots of rabbits I see tracks all the time. but I never actually see any rabbits. its winter and there are almost always new tracks everyday. But weather I am on my porch with my pellet gun 70 yards away or walking thru the woods kicking up woodpiles I don't see anything. my property has a mix of swamp pine forest and very dense pricker bushes and small trees. but all I find is fresh tracks I have tried watching the highest considerations of tracks at different times of the day. we have problems with the rabbits coming up into my moms garden and eating all the stuff in there. should i try baiting and i do plan on eating what i catch. can you help me out by giving me any tips and telling me when the best time to be out to get them is. the gun i am using is a crossman quest 1000X pellet gun

·
Registered
861 Posts
Him blundering around kicking stuff around the Rabbits have run and hid till after he went in the house. And put chicken wire around his garden.

·
AKA The Dragon
2,818 Posts
In this country, the best time is early morning (dawn), late evening (low light) and at night. I used to go spot lighting for them at night.

Generally not seen much during the day as they are more vulnerable to preditors including birds of prey.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
They come out at dawn and dusk in my yard. Got a nice big one living under my shed. It'll be on the grill in a month or two. I need to put some grain and carrots out for it to fatten it up some more.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hunting them at night will get the best results.He might try motion detecter lights,that way you don't have to sit outside all the time.I use them for hogs coming into my yard at night and they work great.

·
Registered
6 Posts
In this country, the best time is early morning (dawn), late evening (low light) and at night. I used to go spot lighting for them at night.

Generally not seen much during the day as they are more vulnerable to preditors including birds of prey.
Spot lighting as in walking around with a flashlight?

·
Registered
673 Posts
Well I would either set up a game camera so I would know when to show up with my pellet gun or I would set up traps. As for spotlighting I would check my local laws. I'm pretty sure in my area it's illegal but I'm not a 100% sure about it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've only hunted rabbit a couple of times but it seems to me that I've always seen them right at first light near thickets. I saw one website saying that in the winter, look for rabbits on the warm, sunny side of hills or stands of trees.

·
2cd mouse gets the cheese
348 Posts
Pick a spot of known yardage and zero a cheap red dot scope for that range. Buy a bag of rabbit pellets and feed them, you can use a couple of those solar powered ground lights around the area. Works like a charm!

·
Registered
88 Posts
rabbits are nocturnal so the best times to see them is at dusk and early morning. one thing you can use to keep them out of your garden is to plant marigolds around youre garden rabbits and deer hate the smell of them and will steer clear.:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts