Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering building a wind generator system as a power backup to my generator. Does anyone have experience with this.
Can I use a modified sine wave inverter to power my TV and lights.

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,888 Posts
You can...though you may not like the results.

The best kind of inverter to get it the pure sine wave inverter. Sensitive electronics and motors don't like less pure sine waves, whether they are square waves or modified sine (square) waves.

·
The End is Near
920 Posts
I am considering building a wind generator system as a power backup to my generator. Does anyone have experience with this.
Make sure if you are using a wind generator it comes with an overcharge/surge monitor to handle the differences in voltage caused by varying wind speeds.
Also I'm assuming you'll be using some kind of battery system between the wind generator & the electronics right?
As goose3 mentioned, go with the pure Sine wave & research it's feedback on quality because there is a lot of Chinese crap out there.

·
Crusty, Crunchy and Cute
3,040 Posts
It would be inefficient. run the generator to a properly battery pack and use the inverter for everything. To save power change the lighting system to a more efficient low voltage solid state lighting system Like LED's. Down size and buy the most energy efficient refrigeration system you can find. Battery powered radios and TV's same. If you feed them dirty power reception will be bad and it could damage the electronics. It will cost more to do it right but it will pay on the back side with fewer problems and more reliability.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts