Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if pantyhose would be warm in a winter emergency situation. I am a guy and I have long underwear in my BOB. Since pantyhose are so light and small, I was thinking about throwing some in my bag as a back up in case others need them, or it is extremely cold. But I have no idea if it would be worth it.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Wearing? no I hope not but for other emergency situations yes. Put a couple in your care kit to replace any belts that snap. They will get you at least to the next gas station or garage.

·
Knocked Down But Up Again
5,579 Posts
During Desert Storm, the soldiers did wear them to keep warm. You just don't hear about it because, well, it's a guy thing. But, trust me, they DID actually wear them. I should ask my son if they still do in Iraq now that the winter is getting here. He's a Marine, so I wonder if he'll be honest about it - even to me, LOL!

·
Registered
475 Posts
I've worn them and they do help but there a poor second to insulated under wear especially the wicked variety. They held sweat to the body was my finding and that in really cold weather is a bad thing........
Better than nothing in a pinch.

·
Mourning Wolf
248 Posts
Pantyhose can also be useful fish net to trap fish. (bend small branches in larger to smaller loops and slide them along the inside of the pantyhose to make the net)

As far as they go for warmth, I'd much rather prefer a set of tights in the winter over pantyhose as they are significantly thicker and give much better warmth. They also are more absorbent so the sweat issue is not as much of a bother.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
in the jungle they worked great to keep the little blood suckers and other things off the legs and the lower part of the body etc...plus for the car they work great as extras fan belts as need

·
Registered
111 Posts
I don't know about panty hose keeping you warm but worn under your socks for long walks 3+km in bots will help prevent blisters. Try the tights ice skaters wear for figure skating that's why they wear them.

·
Permanently gone
1,720 Posts
Well, I can't help with this one...:rolleyes:
I wear a garter belt and stockings...:D:

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
Awww....c'mon, admit it. you just want to wear them, dontcha? Maybe with a pair of red pumps? ;)
Just kidding. I'd second the opinion that tights would be better for cold...look for them at a cycling or runner's store; those are the ones that really keep ya warm.

My second recommendation for ultralightweight base layers would be silks, or silk long underwear. Natural fiber, lightweight, excellent wicking capability, and if you don't accidentally bleach them *ahem*, they are extremely durable.

Last, sock liners are really a great thing...but I would go for the ones with silver thread for nano-technology type anti-bacterial goodness.
I can attest to this: On a four day, 40 mile hike in near freezing and drizzle, my dirty socks actually never smelled like...well, dirty socks. AND sock liners make great footies as sleepwear.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Looks like Under Armor to me, not panty hose. Every athlete who does outdoor winter sports wears Under Armor. NBD. If this is what you are talking about.

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
Looks like Under Armor to me, not panty hose. Every athlete who does outdoor winter sports wears Under Armor. NBD. If this is what you are talking about.
Yes, Under Armour makes some dandy cold weather gear, but it's a bit pricey. Target's house brand of athletic stuff is nearly as good and about half the price...it's called...CG by Champion...

·
Registered
191 Posts
When I was in Search and Rescue, one of our instructors, (a sheriff) told us the same thing regarding pantyhose. He never goes on a hunt without them.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have a lot of nice long underwear, under armour, etc. as I have six months of winter here in Idaho. And I already have one pair of long underwear in my BOB. I was just thinking that if they would work, it might be a nice, super lightweight item that doesn't take up any room. Seeing the other uses for it, makes me think I should toss a pair in. I have no problem wearing them if it would help save my life. Hell, I'll wear a dress if it's winter and the only thing available.

·
One of the Frozen Chosen
250 Posts
I only wear dresses to work...and in the winter that means instead of nylons I wear tights. You can order them in larger sizes from Just My Size. They are very, very warm for these long, cold Alaskan winters...and last forever, unlike flimsy nylons. Good and lightweight warmth to include in any BOB.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts