Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this under general discussion on accident so sorry if you've read this before

I own a Springfield 1911 GI model and I absoluteley love it. I've had it for a few years and although I dont think I'll ever get rid of it, I do have one gripe. I dont really care for the low profile sights. I respect the fact that that was the original setup on the 1911A1, but I really want a 1911 with a 3 dot sight. I was planning to get a new one and leave my GI alone, but do to the recent financial times that i wont get into I am not sure when I'll be able to afford one. My question is would it be worth it to talk to my gunsmith and have him install a 3 dot sight on my GI, and if so should I get fixed or adjustable. Also if I do wait to get another 1911, it'll probably be a Springfield so I would appreciate any suggestions from other springfield owners as to what I should get.

Thanks to all.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
A GOOD gunsmith could put a set on for you. Heinies & Novaks are popular brands, but as my eye power is fading I am looking more towards the Express
big dot sights.

·
Banned
3,508 Posts
I posted this under general discussion on accident so sorry if you've read this before

I own a Springfield 1911 GI model and I absoluteley love it. I've had it for a few years and although I dont think I'll ever get rid of it, I do have one gripe. I dont really care for the low profile sights. I respect the fact that that was the original setup on the 1911A1, but I really want a 1911 with a 3 dot sight. I was planning to get a new one and leave my GI alone, but do to the recent financial times that i wont get into I am not sure when I'll be able to afford one. My question is would it be worth it to talk to my gunsmith and have him install a 3 dot sight on my GI, and if so should I get fixed or adjustable. Also if I do wait to get another 1911, it'll probably be a Springfield so I would appreciate any suggestions from other springfield owners as to what I should get.

Thanks to all.

If you already have a Springfield 1911 and are contemplating purchasing a second, I would suggest the Trophy Match, or else the "Loaded" target model. These are the 2 I'm currently running, and both have very good sights straight from the factory. The sights on the Trophy Match are high profile, and fully adjustable, as are the ones on the Loaded model. The gun itself is also very accurate, and comes standard with many extra cost features like a beveled magwell, front strap checkering, etc.

I am the opposite of you. My next Springfield will most likely be a standard GI model, or else a Stainless Mil-Spec. Bill T.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I wonder if im the only one that love the look of the 1911 gi and the 1911a1 milspec firearms. Here is a question. Are beavertail grip safetys really that important? I owned a Springfield milspec 1911a1 and i dont remember ever getting hammer bite? Of course looking back, i didnt hold it as high up as i should have which would explain it a little.

So is there a way to keep them looking good with out having to change out the grip safety and hammers and have a high grip?

·
Learning All the Time
205 Posts
The sights and work will run around $200 from a gunsmith. I would buy another gun or another slide from Springfield.

I wonder if im the only one that love the look of the 1911 gi and the 1911a1 milspec firearms. Here is a question. Are beavertail grip safetys really that important? I owned a Springfield milspec 1911a1 and i dont remember ever getting hammer bite? Of course looking back, i didnt hold it as high up as i should have which would explain it a little.

So is there a way to keep them looking good with out having to change out the grip safety and hammers and have a high grip?
The trigger job will last longer with a beaver tail safety as it prevents the hammer from over travaling and hitting the sear hard when it cycles. I like the appearance of a beaver tail better. Not everyone will get hit by a spur hammer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts