Survivalist Forum banner

Question about my 1911

1337 6
I own a Springfield 1911 GI model and I absoluteley love it. I've had it for a few years and although I dont think I'll ever get rid of it, I do have one gripe. I dont really care for the low profile sights. I respect the fact that that was the original setup on the 1911A1, but I really want a 1911 with a 3 dot sight. I was planning to get a new one and leave my GI alone, but do to the recent financial times that i wont get into I am not sure when I'll be able to afford one. My question is would it be worth it to talk to my gunsmith and have him install a 3 dot sight on my GI, and if so should I get fixed or adjustable. Also if I do wait to get another 1911, it'll probably be a Springfield so I would appreciate any suggestions from other springfield owners as to what I should get.

Thanks to all.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Carry guns wear fixed sights. Less chance of getting bumped out of alignment and no moving parts to become a problem in a life or death situation. The older I get the more i like three dot illuminated sights, but white dots still work for me too. I carry the same Springfield that you have, just heavily modded.

·
Registered
257 Posts
My brother had a Springfield 1911 GI, and I think I loved it more than he did. I agree that the low pro fixed sights suck. Not in general of course, but for me. My brother was a tackdriver with them, I... well... wasn't.

I like adjustable sights, but as I sit here about ready to suggest them, I realize all pistols I own and have owned have been fixed. Go figure. As long as their zeroed right, then I don't see an issue.

I'm also going to say tritium is wonderful at night. The only downside is on a pitch black night, depending on your holster it can (and will) give away your position. Maybe a moot point for concealed carry but worth noting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.