Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a Springfield 1911 GI model and I absoluteley love it. I've had it for a few years and although I dont think I'll ever get rid of it, I do have one gripe. I dont really care for the low profile sights. I respect the fact that that was the original setup on the 1911A1, but I really want a 1911 with a 3 dot sight. I was planning to get a new one and leave my GI alone, but do to the recent financial times that i wont get into I am not sure when I'll be able to afford one. My question is would it be worth it to talk to my gunsmith and have him install a 3 dot sight on my GI, and if so should I get fixed or adjustable. Also if I do wait to get another 1911, it'll probably be a Springfield so I would appreciate any suggestions from other springfield owners as to what I should get.

Thanks to all.

·
Registered
119 Posts
IMO it kinda depends on what you want to do with your 1911. If you carry it for SD I would stick with fixed sights. I would like to try the XS Big Dot sight.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Carry guns wear fixed sights. Less chance of getting bumped out of alignment and no moving parts to become a problem in a life or death situation. The older I get the more i like three dot illuminated sights, but white dots still work for me too. I carry the same Springfield that you have, just heavily modded.

·
Registered
257 Posts
My brother had a Springfield 1911 GI, and I think I loved it more than he did. I agree that the low pro fixed sights suck. Not in general of course, but for me. My brother was a tackdriver with them, I... well... wasn't.

I like adjustable sights, but as I sit here about ready to suggest them, I realize all pistols I own and have owned have been fixed. Go figure. As long as their zeroed right, then I don't see an issue.

I'm also going to say tritium is wonderful at night. The only downside is on a pitch black night, depending on your holster it can (and will) give away your position. Maybe a moot point for concealed carry but worth noting.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Novaks are good, but i also like the fixed sights as long as the gun shoots to the pont of aim, My charles daly is dead on to the point of aim with em, the colt was no, it shot 6 inches high and like 4 inchesleft or something.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Same gun, and I have meprolight tru dot night sights on it. Cost about 100 dollars installed. I am very happy with it, and it made me a lot more accurate than the low profile sights.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts