Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I recently bought a Ruger Mini-14. I bought it new in stainless steel with a black synthetic stock. I also purchased from Ruger one of their new stocks with a picatinny rail on the top for a scope and a rail underneath for a light system. This photo is of the black stock I'm referring to.

I want to put a scope on it but I'm not familiar with optical sights or their mounting systems. I understand that "weaver" scope rings/mounts are the best. I see scopes that are about 12' long and short scopes about 5" or 6" long. Red dot or mil-rectangle?

I also want to put a Surefire light system on it.

My question is: What type of scope, mounts, and lighting system would be ideal for a Mini-14? I'm more concerned with high quality equipment than I am with price.

Thanks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
it will depend on how you're going to use your mini. I have that stock set up and use a Red dot scope for close in work.
If you want 100+ yards a standard scope say 3X9 will do...don't need anything fancy on your Mini-14...not the most accurate gun out of the box for distance.
You should add the flash suppressor it really will increase your accuracy by almost 50% down range.

·
Banned
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it will depend on how you're going to use your mini. I have that stock set up and use a Red dot scope for close in work.
If you want 100+ yards a standard scope say 3X9 will do...don't need anything fancy on your Mini-14...not the most accurate gun out of the box for distance.
You should add the flash suppressor it really will increase your accuracy by almost 50% down range.
I would say a maximum of 200 yards, but mostly 100 yards or a little over that.

How do you add a flash suppressor? Is that something I can do myself or do I need to take it to a gunsmith? If I can do it myself, can you recommend a length and brand of suppressor and possibly give me a URL that might have a video or written instructions?

Thanks.

·
Registered
84 Posts
It should have come with factory scope rings. Just use them with a good quality 3x9. No need to spend a fortune on the optics, as was previously stated mini 14s are not tack drivers. The custom stock will not affect the factory scope mounts.

·
Registered
55 Posts
You can get the flash suppresor from Miday USA or others and all you do is drift out the front sight and put on the new one...making sure you are square vertically...and then drill a second hole....two pins hold the new sight and suppressor. Instructions are included and if you want any gunsmith will do it in short order.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Also remember, if you're putting on a light system I assume you mean to use it as a home defence system...I don't see the light on this weapon because of it's ability to reach out...shotgun or handgun is a better choice for in close situations.I use mine as a medium range deterent that's why I went with a Red Dot system...quick targeting with unlimited eye relief.

·
DILIGENTIA VIS CELERITAS
727 Posts
I would go with a scope mount that sits high enough above the reciever so that you could still use the Iron sights as a back up for a dead battery or long range work. I had a mini-14 but mine was the standard model with out scope rings. I mounted a simmons red-dot that cost about $50. I zeroed the red-dot at 50yrds and used the irons for targets beyond 50 yrds. It was pretty good like that I used it for Practical multi-gun compettion. The Mini-14 is a good rifle, the only problems I had was finding good magazines. It would eat any ammo and it seemed to like wolf just as much as the premium stuff. I also added a flash suppressor. The one I bought looked like the one on an M1A. Basically all I had to do is tap out the pin on the front sight, slip the flash hider over the font sight and install the pin that came with the flash hider. Took less than 5 minutes and the only tools needed was a hammer and brass punch.

·
Registered
35 Posts

I recently bought a Ruger Mini-14. I bought it new in stainless steel with a black synthetic stock. I also purchased from Ruger one of their new stocks with a picatinny rail on the top for a scope and a rail underneath for a light system. This photo is of the black stock I'm referring to.

I want to put a scope on it but I'm not familiar with optical sights or their mounting systems. I understand that "weaver" scope rings/mounts are the best. I see scopes that are about 12' long and short scopes about 5" or 6" long. Red dot or mil-rectangle?

I also want to put a Surefire light system on it.

My question is: What type of scope, mounts, and lighting system would be ideal for a Mini-14? I'm more concerned with high quality equipment than I am with price.

Thanks.
I have a scope on my Mini14 and they are fussy as to what you can use on them. I used the factory mounts that mount on the rifle on a half moon indent. If you check you'll see them. You also have to buy the right size scope since the scope mounts close to the barrel. I bought a cheapo scope (50bucks) that does a fine job. It's a Bushnell #3-9x40EG
It has a lighted cross hair that is adjustable depending on how dark the target is. Do not buy a larger objective scope because it will not fit with factory mounts!!

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,112 Posts
I suggest you mount a modest scope to your Ruger using the factory rings and stock.
Shoot it enough to establish a baseline accuracy before you start changing things.
Then if you want, add/change one component at a time.

Personally, I prefer the handling of the Ruger with a low power scope and factory stock.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts