Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
I am interrogative, yes.
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By the time someone in your household starts showing symptoms, isn't the virus already all over the house and everyone else already infected?

We have a separate bedroom set up as a treatment room but now I'm wondering if there's really a need for that. There are still some more items we need for that room and I'm weighing the costs vs. benefits with our limited funds. It's a nice idea but is it practical? It's not like we can keep the virus confined to that room if the infected person was walking around spreading it throughout the house for weeks before they started feeling ill.

·
I Dig the Dirt
177 Posts
You might be the one who inspired me to set up our quarantine room in the basement. The OP said they set it up with clothing, books, meds, thermometer, water, etc., etc. I thought it was a fantastic idea! I've basically done the same thing in our spare room in the basement. Even ordered a portable-potty thing for it because there's no bathroom attached to the room.

And just like you, a few days ago, I wondered if it was practical.

My husband works in public housing and is in and out of people's homes all day long. We figure he'll most likely catch it, and probably sooner than I would being an office worker in a very small office.

Our discussion just a couple nights ago was that we absolutely would separate ourselves. Yes, either one of us could spread the germs all over the house before we start showing symptoms but we agreed it was best to separate so we don't keep passing it back and forth and possibly increasing our viral load.

The end result of the conversation was if I end up getting sick I would feel "better" knowing I wasn't sleeping in the same bed with him or sharing the living space and he feels the same.

To help mitigate the spread of germs I have a can of Lysol and a bottle of hand sanitizer at the door. We are training ourselves to spray our clothes down as soon as we walk in and use the gel. Gotta get trained on taking shoes off outside but we're still in winter here (although trying to get spring temps) and when I come in I have my purse, coat and briefcase. My hands are full. It's a juggling act as it is but something I'm working on.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
15,964 Posts
My husband is a train wreck already and requires ongoing care with almost everything. So we cannot quarantine.

We travel together and work together so if one of us had an exposure we likely both did.

Long story, I lost most of my medical supplies but did purchase a thermometer and O2 sensor (you can get them on Amazon for $15), I figure those will be most essential.

But God has a sense of humor and I may get sick while he's fine. We will have to see.

Reactions: GrayFoal2

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm wondering the same thing. Initially, I'd brainstormed a way to divide up the house into a reasonably comfortable quarantine area, but would need to purchase a microwave for one of the areas. I don't want to spend the money if it's pointless.

I'm also thinking that if that is the case and we're all trapped in the house together, we can all help take care of whoever is the sickest at any given moment.

·
Welcome to the rice field
1,585 Posts
By the time we know someone is sick, Pandora is out of her box. I'd say it's still worth attempting to reduce exposure, but realistically we'll all probably be rolling the bones on those mortality odds at that point. Part of the house can function as a separate apartment. We could shut off the HVAC and seal it, but whoever is sick will likely need care and monitoring.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts