Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks in advance for any and all help with this question about pie pumpkins:

If I grow my pumpkins in hills, does the soil in the hills have to be good soil, or any ol' soil? Basically I've amended the soil in my garden quite well, but I can not afford to build up hills with massive amounts of manure and compost. I intend to plant the seeds around the base of the hills where I have good soil and let the vines grow on the hills. Does this sound feasible?

·
Actias Luna
4,228 Posts
Thanks in advance for any and all help with this question about pie pumpkins:

If I grow my pumpkins in hills, does the soil in the hills have to be good soil, or any ol' soil? Basically I've amended the soil in my garden quite well, but I can not afford to build up hills with massive amounts of manure and compost. I intend to plant the seeds around the base of the hills where I have good soil and let the vines grow on the hills. Does this sound feasible?
I think you could try it and see. I've grown pumpkins in bad soil (clay) and pumpkins in straight composted manure. The only difference I've seen is that this year, with the composted manure, they are maturing very fast. I've got orange pumpkins now when I usually get them in September.

In the clay they grew very large but didn't turn orange until closer to Halloween, which is a good thing. I think what's really important to them is water and turning them so they don't rot.

·
Registered
7,805 Posts
you basically are talking about container gardening without the container ..... the pumpkin roots have the necessary good soil and nutrients with the feeders spreading out over the rough ........

·
Registered
9,207 Posts
Just plain old soil will do fine for pumpkins. I've had some reach several hundred pounds with nothing special done to them. Not pie pumpkins of course!

·
Certified Organic Grower
4,969 Posts
Pumpkins can grow without a nutrient rich soil and produce a good harvest.

Pumpkins grown in a nutrient rich soil will explode with life...

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your answers. All I'm doing is amending the soil with compost and manure because I'm amending the entire garden the same way. Wasn't sure about the hills, but I'll just let them go and see what happens.

For us in AZ the pumpkins, if planted now, will be ready after All Hallows in October, but pumpkin pies will be made with fresh pumpkin rather than frozen. Yum.

Thanks again all!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts