Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do only phones have Geotagging or do digital cameras have this as well?

How do you disable it in camera's? I have found plenty of information about phones but almost none on cameras.

·
Banned
19,284 Posts
I don't believe cameras have them. I just bought the wife a good camera and no where in the instructions or on the camera menu does it mention it. :)

·
Bravo Zulu
13,133 Posts
It's my understanding that for cameras to have the feature, they'd first have to establish their location, by triangulation of a number of RF signals.

I'm yet to see a camera with a built in RF receiver.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Cameras with GPS chips are becoming more common now and I bet in a year or so you'll be hard pressed to find one without a chip. The camera documentation should tell you how to disable it if you have the "feature".

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
They are not common enough that it will have a gps without you knowing, it will be advertised as a feature.
You can edit the exif data to clear the location if you are worried about it. I use a command line tool called exiftool
exiftool -a picture.jpg will give a lot of info.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
If I'm not mistaken (and I might be, I've only been living in the 21st century with an iPhone for 2 weeks), I believe if you disable your GPS and your location services on iPhones you can get around Geotagging. I'm sure that will eventually not be the case, though.

I have my location services and GPS off, I only turn them on if I travel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts