Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times but does a military backpack with molle used as a bug out bag attract unwanted attention or is it fine to use one?

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Its fine to use a alice or molle pack

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,889 Posts
Depends on who is noticing...or not.

Some people think military-style gear makes one look less like prey and more like one can take care of oneself.

Others think it indicates you're a threat or, perhaps worse, know what you're doing and thus probably have goodies in your bag.

Which is it? As for me, I think you can overanalyze some of this stuff and end up with paralysis by analysis. It's more important that you have a BOB than what, specifically, the bag itself is.

·
Registered
688 Posts
It's not a big deal. Use what you have, all people will see is a backpack. Plenty of hikers (myself included) use military packs.

That being said, I wouldn't combine it with ACU and an AR 15.

·
Follow Me
165 Posts
I would have to say that your demeanor, body language, and your linguistic skill is what people are going to judge you on. If your in camo acting like a savage barbarian, talk like a gangster, or your presenting a threatening posture you might be treated different that if you were polite, showing respect and maintaining a peaceful or neutral demeanor. Alot of guys that like the USGI gear are former Military Personel. Alot of them have a core set of values. Like Honor, Respect, Integrity. So depending on who you meet, how jumpy they are, how you are acting, and where you meet. To many variables to say for sure.

·
Looks like rain to me.
41,428 Posts
Ypu could try a non-descript backpack cover if you are worried about the camo attracting attention. But with the large number of surplus packs out there, I don't worry.

·
Registered
170 Posts
i agree that it could go either way- you could be seen as a threat or someone who knows how to handle himself. Mine is military looking and i dont care. Its not camo, but green. In a disaster all hell will break loose and who has what backpack shouldnt matter. Buy what fits your need and personal style preference.

·
Kibitzer
6,631 Posts
Some WW2 reenactors were in a parade, all decked out with WW2 OD gear.
Some people thought they were troops headed for the sandbox.
So can you really tell, just by a pack, who's military?

Check out the zombie site and look at their BOB pic threads.
Almost everyone has M4 and ACU gear.

The sniper rifles have me worried.
Some guys may think they're playing CoD or GoW xbox games.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think it depends where youre located. Myself im in a small midwestern town. I plan on moving out high profile. Molle Pack, AR-15, sidearm showing, tactical pants and boots, etc. I believe you dress to impress. If you see some clean cut guy walking down the street in a suit with a briefcase your going to assume he's a buisnessman or lawyer or whatever, even if he really isnt thats the imgane he's giving off. So if you see some guy with an assault rifle and para-miliatry look people are going to assume he's military and threatning. But like I said i live in a small town i dont have to deal with masses of hysterical people, if i was in a big urban city i would go 'grey-man' and try to blend in, just making sure i was well provisioned

1 - 10 of 10 Posts