Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Ding... Thanks for playin
4,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If EVERYONE stocks up on 22 ammo to barter, who you going to barter with? Won't everyone have it already?

How many people think of stocking up on spices for barter? WTSHTF after a while the mre's might taste better with some spice.

Just a "mindless" thought... :xeye:

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
If EVERYONE stocks up on 22 ammo to barter, who you going to barter with? Won't everyone have it already?

How many people think of stocking up on spices for barter? WTSHTF after a while the mre's might taste better with some spice.

Just a "mindless" thought... :xeye:
Well, not everyone is prepping. Your pool of trade partners will be much larger than members of survivalism boards.

·
4,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good point... I was just asking that is all...

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Also, if 22LR becomes the standard of trade, it will rise and fall in value following the laws of supply and demand.

Hey, that would be pretty neat! Instead of the Gold Standard, we would be on the Brass and Lead Standard.:D:

·
4,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Brass and lead... hahaha good one...:thumb:

·
Registered
626 Posts
Most people I know don't stock up on more ammo than they are going to use the next time they are at the range...

but yeah spices, ammo, medical supplies will be great barter items.

I would personally recommend shuning alcohol because this will bring you nothing but trouble.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Spices are a wonderful option! I also plan to stock up on inexpensive outdoor knives and such.. your best bet though is to learn a trade. Something that is worth while after the fall. Something like blacksmithing, candle making (tallow, bees wax etc) carpentry, broom making (yes people will still need to sweep the floors) brewing (and how to grow the things that go into the brew)
If you find yourself looking for shelter somewhere when things go really bad, having a marketable skill is a very useful thing to have.
Espacially things that are "hard" to do such as smithing and such..

·
4,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Very true, true indeed...

·
4,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Ridge, that is good advice about the trades/skills... Hope people listen to the advice...
Thanks...

·
Registered
35 Posts
I understand the reasons for no boos, but what about cigs? I was thinking before about having a pack in a go-bag. Not to smoke, but for trade or making friends. How much of a target would those cigs make me? I have never been addicted to something so I have no idea what someone would be going through needing a fix. I am aware cigs are addictive, but it isn't like crack right?

·
De Oppresso Liber
23 Posts
Spices are a great choice for bartering. You might want to also consider personal hygiene products like... toilet paper, toothpaste, tampons, and soap. (Remember, Russians have stood in line for hours just for a roll of cheap one-ply TP...) Liquor is also a good choice. I don't drink anymore, but I have it around just in case everything goes to crap. And it can bring trouble. You just have to be aware of who you barter it with. As for learning a Trade, that's also an excellent idea. You can always barter your skills, and use your supplies for harder-to-get items.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I thought about barter this morning before I jumped on here. I realize that things to barter are handy, some might just get past that and take what you have at this meet up. I have read where whites and natives would tradeand at times death comes at the end of a deal. I have a small selection of knives and tool, I'll add spices especially salt, pepper and red pepper. I know how to find garlic. Firesteels will may also be of use. I will ponder this some more.

·
privateer
97 Posts
I wonder why no one has done a group buy for herbs and spices you can get a lot in bulk for cheaper than stores. is there any interest in a group buy for spices? just thought I would throw it out there.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I think salt would be a great barter item. Just think about all the things you need salt for. Tanning, preserving meat, canning veggies, Etc.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Salt

Salt is one of those commodities you just have to stock up on. Its one of the most valuable resources in the non-industrial world. The ancient Romans payed their troops in salt. A way to stock up is to collect up individual salt packets from restaurants, buy boxes of them in supermarkets in the bulk foods area. Store it in a cool dry place and you can dole out your trade salt in easy to carry packets.. get rock salt as well..bags of rock salt aren't that expensive and will give you the ability to have a large (if not well refined) quantity.
To refine rock salt into a cleaner salt, take a large stock pot full of water and pour your rock salt into it until its a super saturated solution, the impurities will float to the bottom. From there pour the salt water through cloth into another stock pot and boil the water down, the salt will remain after boiling and can be scraped from the sides of the pot.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I own a retail game store in southeast missouri. If **** hits the fan I could turn it into a trading center for this area.

A key factor in bartering is having a bigger gun than the person your trading with.

·
1,794 Posts
A valid question. You may be able to guess that I do not believe in bartering by my response. At one time I did but after attempting to practice it, I changed my opinion of it.

Everyone will not be saving .22 shells or, for that matter, anything to barter. People of our mindset are few in number. Out of 1,000 people how many will store enough supplies to be able to barter with one of us, the prepared? Maybe 1 or 2 out of a thousand? I would suggest it would be a fraction of a percent. At least 999 out of the imaginary 1,000 people will have great need of what you wish to trade but will have nothing to trade in return. The overwhelming majority of the population does not practice preparedness. Their needs will be great but they will have nothing of value that we might need.

I tried to practice bartering in the various businesses I have going. There was no one that ever had anything of value to trade. If people have nothing now, why do we think that there will be all types of materials and supplies available for trade after a catastrophe or shortage of a magnitude that is bad enough to warrant us using our preparation supplies to survive? Sure, some thought I was stupid and offered rusty junk for trade but that is about it. Shortages will devastate most. We will be the only ones with stocks of necessities.

Bartering means you abandon your low profile. You will be known as the "guy with the goods" far and wide. This fact will attract many "customers" that will not be laden with useful items to trade with you. More likely, they will trade their 180 grains of jacketed lead for your items.

I try to envision someone setting up shop in the midst of the Watts riots, offering to trade something of value for one of the TV's a looter was carrying out of a store. It isn't hard to picture the outcome of such a transaction.

We might be fortunate to run into someone who had extras of something we need and is willing to trade. That is leaving things to chance. I would rather store what I need, learn skills that I need, and maintain a low profile. That said, I do plan on possible barter with medical professionals only. It is the one area that I may have great need of someday. It will have to be a life threatening need before I will even attempt that.

Gunner does bring up a good question. We all must do what we think is best. If you like barter, go for it. Just adding my 2 cents to the mix.

·
4,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you Scruggs... Very interesting "outside the box" thinking on your post... wow..

Reactions: Scruggs

·
Registered
118 Posts
I like to barter and trade, I may set up shop since I have a store on the main highway in the area. I would have someone disarm before entering the store, and other precautions will make it safe. I have the man power and firepower to protect said store . . . at least I hope so.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts