Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, just wanted to say I really like the forum and everyone seems very helpful and friendly!

Here is my question, I am currently looking into buying an Ak 47... I have had this plan for over a year but as a poor college kid I have had to save up some cash for a while. Anyways, wouldnt you know it, as soon as I am finally able to buy my gun, they are both unavailable and almost doubled in price if you do find one. Should I go ahead and bite the bullet, for lack of a better term, and buy one if I can find one? What are the odds of getting one if the weapons ban takes effect, can they sell preban ones still?

Or, I also want an AR 15 later on should I just go ahead and buy an AR 15 lower now since they might get banned, and then buy an upper later on?

I'm not in a hard up situation for a hunting rifle right now or anything, as I have plenty of other shotguns and rifles, but need/want an "assault" weapon. My dad has an SKS that I like ok, but for some reason I am more partial to the AK 47.

Any help would be appreciated as I try to make my decision before the upcoming gunshow.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
1. We cannot predict the future, so anything we say is speculation.

-PERSONAL OPINION: The 'pannic buying' will not get better for severa lmonths. (I expect it to pick back up after christmass as we get closer to the 20th... IF we go several months with nothing... we MAY see some deals)

^ PERSONAL opinion.

-LAST TIME... (And indeed EVERY 'Beginning' ban, you can keep/transfer whatcha got... and later they regulate it more...) IMHO this is the 'SMART way' as you restrict supply, but the people wioth do not use them b/c they can keep them/sell at much higher prices.

-LAST TIME striped recievers did NOT count as preban... It had to have been assembled before the ban.
^Now... how can you prove it ether way... I don't know, but on 4473's now they are marked as recievers, and not treated the same as guns...:confused:

-Vague comments about 'A bird in the hand'
(At the very LEAST I would recomend buying 'standard capacity mags' now.

The decision/determination is yours.

·
Part Terminator
499 Posts
First off Hello and Welcome from New York..

And as for an AK-47....that is going to be a problem to find locale. Your best bet on getting an AK is to get one off of Gunsamerica.com or your favored online auction site. Then you have to find an FFL that will deal with you. The WASR 10 is still the cheapest one you are going to get.. There going to be $799 or more now..

Now if you are looking to SAVE and do a little Gun smithing work.. Get a Russian Saiga 7.62x39 and Convert it into an AK.. Heres the best site to go for Conversion instructions for Saiga..

Hope this helps you..

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much for your replies.

I'm still not 100% sure what I am going to do, but all I can say is I am definitely getting something, whatever I can find because as nomad said, all we can do is speculate.

BTW nomad, I would pay you $800 for one of your AK's, but I am only planning on $500 for this purchase (be it an SKS or something like the Saiga 7.62x39 or even an m14). I wish that when I bought a few other guns over the summer I would have just picked up an AK like I planned when they were still around $500 :(

I will keep everyone posted with what happens. I am going to do some local gun store scouting next week, and then the gun show is the 26-27... if there are still guns to sell. I never thought getting guns would become so tough. I guess this goes to show that sometimes impulse buying can be a good thing.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
Thank you so much for your replies.

I'm still not 100% sure what I am going to do, but all I can say is I am definitely getting something, whatever I can find because as nomad said, all we can do is speculate.

BTW nomad, I would pay you $800 for one of your AK's, but I am only planning on $500 for this purchase (be it an SKS or something like the Saiga 7.62x39 or even an m14). I wish that when I bought a few other guns over the summer I would have just picked up an AK like I planned when they were still around $500 :(

I will keep everyone posted with what happens. I am going to do some local gun store scouting next week, and then the gun show is the 26-27... if there are still guns to sell. I never thought getting guns would become so tough. I guess this goes to show that sometimes impulse buying can be a good thing.

Dude, I'm not saying buy it from me (I'd bet if you looked long enough you can do better $ wise)

But get what you want. Don't settle.

(Look at the lifespan of a firearm. WHat's an extra $100 or even $200 or $300 amaterised over the next 30-40 YEARS!!!)

JMHO I wouldn't get the Mini 14. Other issues aside... the cost of a decent ammount of mags would make up the difference in the guns.

SAIGA or SKS would be my bet. (Look closely at what it takes to convert the Saiga... Having it take AK mags insted of the expensive SAIGA ones would be good.)
-Be sure to follow the law

·
free man
626 Posts
Theres a local shop here in WNC that has fixed stock WASRs for $560, and sidefolders for $599, fwiw. At least 2 weeks ago he did. Also had 8 or 9 ARs in all the configs. $999 and up.

He said monday that overall sales were actually down atm(prolly xmas thing). I guess here in the mtns, everyone already has lots of guns ;).

·
Sugar-free
4,184 Posts
they are not "worth" that much.....thats just what they are asking for them....it will get worse before it gets better.....
LOL!! So correct! An AK cost something like $8.50 to build. Their actual worth is so much lower than what people buy them for. Although, just like a house or a car-something is technically only worth what someone will give you for it.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
LOL!! So correct! An AK cost something like $8.50 to build. Their actual worth is so much lower than what people buy them for. Although, just like a house or a car-something is technically only worth what someone will give you for it.

^ Um, no. A STEN cost over $11 to build (In WW2 $) and there is ALOT more machining going into a AK than a STEN.

The reason they have been so cheap, was that it was Government Surpluss... Basically subsadised by the Gov't of the country they originated from.

I'd bet one made 100% here in the US would go for (Reasonably) about the same as a midlevel AR...

Your 2nd and 3rd sentenses are at odds with each other.

·
Sugar-free
4,184 Posts
^ Um, no. A STEN cost over $11 to build (In WW2 $) and there is ALOT more machining going into a AK than a STEN.

The reason they have been so cheap, was that it was Government Surpluss... Basically subsadised by the Gov't of the country they originated from.

I'd bet one made 100% here in the US would go for (Reasonably) about the same as a midlevel AR...

Your 2nd and 3rd sentenses are at odds with each other.
I was referring to the actual cost at time of manufacture. Remember, these factory workers in communist Romania, or Poland were paid slave wages, at best. Their economy was literally a military/industrial machine. And they were able to make them for around 8 bucks a peice. It is not surprising that a Sten was more expensive. England was simply not able to crank things out like the Ukraine was. Or China, for that matter. And my 3rd sentence is not at odds with my 2nd sentence. It is simply a reflection that even things that are not "worth" a whole lot can actually sell for a value greater than the sum of their parts.

·
Banned
4,937 Posts
Okay, here's a good solution that won't kill your budget...

Get an SKS D model (20 inch barrel). They accept AK mags.
SKS shoots straigher, and at a higher muzzle velocity (barrel is longer).
You can still find these for 400 and under--but you'll have to hunt around, and fast.

Purchase at least 10 hi-cap AK mags (any type--all matching).
20-rounders best for SKS, but if only 30-rounders available buy these.
20-rounders let you get lower to the ground to shoot, safer.
Purchase a Murray's firing pin mod--spring loaded firing pin to prevent slam and full-auto fires.
Purchase a Williams firesight/peep-sight combination.
Purchase a Chinses fiberglass jungle stock--will have to be modified slightly for the D-model, but this transforms the weapon in a solid, well-handling weapon.
Purchase a "Sneaky Bag" to hold your mags.

T

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
My advice ??.........save your money. You already have guns, so you're not hurting in the self-defense department. As noted, AW prices have skyrocketed, therefore deals are hard to find. You're a student on a budget, so this, essentially "toy", will cost you money that could be better used other wise ( food,water purification,gold/silver, ammo for the guns you already have,etc.) Another consideration is the likelyhood of a new AW ban that has no grandfather clause like the last one,making you a felon for hanging onto your new toy. Lots of folks say it won't happen, but they're talking so much BS, as they cannot possbly be sure of that. What we can be sure of is that those in power desperately want to ban AW's, and are in a position to do so.

·
Major League Infidel
435 Posts
BTW nomad, I would pay you $800 for one of your AK's, but I am only planning on $500 for this purchase (be it an SKS or something like the Saiga 7.62x39 or even an m14).
I hope your reffering to a mini-14 not a m14 because you wont find one of those anywhere near the $500 price range

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Gonna second the SKS-D or M models. If I was buying in right now that would be the smart money. There are far less of them in the US now and over the long haul, if you buy for investment and don't hammer it to death every saturday, It will be a far more sought after collector arm. More so with a good box and all the gear. Its a better weapon and using AK mags...That's a given, also remember you can slap a drum on one. They do a lot worse with the heat than an AK will but an SKS drum mint in the package is about 400.00 if you have a hook up to get one. Rare stuff.

The D and M models solve that problem, by taking all the mags and drums.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
I don't know if I'd call an SKS D/M a BETTER weapon...

WIth the wood stock you'll likely haveto 'shave' it a little to get it to fit a drum.

I had one,a nd didn't like the 'Excessive angle' you had to use to lock in a mag...

Not as bad when you put a polomer stock in it though...

If you could get the SKS D/M AND a drum for $400 like he says... grab it quick!

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, today I decided to pick up an sks. It has a folding stock with a pistol grip. Its a machined russian. It also came with a scope and 30 round magazine. I was able to snag it for $490 at a gun show. I am very happy, If i can find my camera I will snap some pictures. Just want to say thanks for everyone who posted and helped me decide what to get!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts