Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am getting into the older tools (e.g. corn sheller, grain mill, etc.).

So with these items of pure genius to have around the farm, what are the five most important things? (OK you can do more than five) I want to make sure that I have these on hand before it gets to bad out there.

Keep in mind that this is a total homestead. Garden and livestock.

So oh great ones, bring me your wisdom...

I might even use your suggestions in my next short story.

·
Freedom Is Not Free
662 Posts
1.single furrowing plow. Can be pulled by a lawn tractor or animal. Used to dig furrows for planting and really throws out the taters in the fall. I liked the corn sheller, they are handy. My Dad never had an anvil, but he did have a 1 foot long piece of rail road rail. We used it a lot when replacing rivets and any time you needed a good base to whack the bejezus out of something. T post driver. Good heavy cable come along, not one ofthese cheap aout parts store jobs. Spud bar for tamping fence posts.
I could go on but these are a few that we semmed to use a lot.

·
hilly7
127 Posts
Spouse and kids.

Corn Sheller, Grain Mill, Hand operated water pump. Anvil & Bellows, Plow (if an animal is involved) otherwise top plant. Hoe, Hammer, Shovel, Axe.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Great thread!

I like water pump, shovel, axe.......I would throw in sledge hammer as a pretty valuble tool.......how about a strong vice.

·
Hunter/Farmer
1,950 Posts
air compressor
welder
generator
tractor, with all the 3 point hitch goodies:D:
chainsaw

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
I am only under one year into my first property ( really still just a piece of land that I have worked a little), what I have found is that the basics are just not replaceable.
Good shovels, hoes, pickaxe, axe, at least a framing hammer plenty of nails, bow saw and a hand saw, t-post pounder, barbed wire pliers, fence post digger ( the two handled thing) and this steel pipe that has a sharpened end on one side and a flat side on the other, looks like a giant nail) used for digging them post holes. Lets see.. rakes, pitch forks, machete... hmm think thats it for now.

These are tools I have used on my property so far, a neighbor has plowed around 5 acres on my land so I really have not gotten into the farming yet, the tools mentioned just got used to fence the property and do some basic building, and to harvest some cactus for the cows to eat.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I would come closer to saying the 50 most important tools on a homestead. You just can't seem to have too many tools around here and they every one help make life easier. Tractor with implements, compressor, welder, all manner of hand tools, pry bars, wire working tools, electrical tools, pumps, piping, all kinds of fencing, gardening tools, wheel barrow. The list never ends, so I would only say don't think which are the most important, but rather what order do you buy them. I would start with a chain saw, splitter, tractor, implements, fencing, post hole digger, wheel barrow, hoe, shovel, hammer, nails, and go from there.

·
Adaptable.
1,978 Posts
I agreed with O&C up there, there are dozens of invaluable tools, and some of them are as irreplaceable as they are single use; such as the tpost driver.

But one tool I am constantly finding uses for is a block and tackle. Even more than our comealong, as a comealong is crap for picking thing up. I've got two, and am looking at a chain hoist next.

Pick, shovels (you need a few different types; trenching, digging, scraping) a good torch, a welder is worth it's weight in broken tools... OH! and a trebuchet.... No homestead is complete without a trebuchet capableof flinging a full grown hog into the pond... ;)

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OH! and a trebuchet.... No homestead is complete without a trebuchet capableof flinging a full grown hog into the pond... ;)
Trebuchet. Trebuchet?
::writing in notebook:: T..r..e..b..u..c..h..e..t
Trebuchet! Got IT!

:D::D::D:

·
Registered
45 Posts
I agree with most of the above suggestions, a small tractor with three point hitch, live power take off, and live hydraulics is the way to go. A front end loader can be helpful and quite useful as well. If you can afford it, fouir wheel drive on the tractor is even better, especially if you have to wade through muck, mire, manure, slop, snow, etc. A good brand chainsaw is incredibly useful, as is either a woodswplitter with its own engine, or one that can be fun off the tractor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts