Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am about to purchase my first 10/22 and have a question: I called Ruger and they told me the synthetic stocks and grips are hollow, and easy to access the cavity. I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to store spare ammo, extra mags, along with a mora knife, small survival kit, small ifak, and cleaning kit? Pretty much a standalone kit that's a back up to all my other backups.

Figure it would have to be pretty minimal and not add more than 1lb to an already light 5lb gun. Any thoughts?

·
Forgiven
2,296 Posts
The Butler Creek folding stock won't hold a magazine, but it will hold 40 cartridges. You can drill a hole in a magazine and loop it onto the quick detachable swivel with fishline so it won't get misplaced if you carry the rifle unloaded.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think it all depends on how you are planning to use the gun. It's not a bad idea. Anything that you would store in it would be difficult to get out in a hurry. And impossible without a screw driver. It might be a better idea to purchase a good plastic carry case and place a small bag of needed items in the case with the gun.

·
Human bean of planet Urf
4,863 Posts
Ruger has produced two diff synthetic stocks for that gun over the years. #1 was the "skeleton" stock with the word "Ruger" deep stamped into both sides of the stock. #2 was a conventional hollow they still use. Neither of them had/have "easy access to the cavity". Both have solidly glued on buttplates and grip caps that will be destroyed or heavily damaged 95% of the time if you try to open them. There's also no ready means to add screws to either.

A good number of years back when the #2 stock first appeared, I designed and drew up an add-in box that could be easily inletted into the hollow stock right cheek to make a survival gun. I sent that idea to Ruger but, of course, never heard back from them. Imagine a good old flintlock with a patch box in the stock, but make it out of plastic to be cut and screwed into the 10/22 stock. You could do the same basic thing by inletting a small 3-5" opening into the stock, adding the interior walls (or simply inlet a small box) and then add a cover. A sheet of heat-curved styrene covered in an elastic butt cuff type thing would work. An inletted box with a nylon pouch full of gear with a strap or two to keep it in place would work just as well.

rich

·
Registered
352 Posts
I study survival situations and have built and supplied many "survival" kits. I would never take up the limited space with an extra clip. My list, a minature PHOTON micro light, nothing worse than being in the dark. Next a small fixed blade knife, handle removed to save space and weight. A small fishing kit, hooks, rubber worms, sinkers, line, flies. You will probably eat more fish than game if surviving in the wilderness. Water purification tablets, cant survive if doubled over with Giardia. Unlubricated condums to use as canteens, an old military trick. Metal match and 2 small firestarter tablets. Minature compass, 3 foot of bailing wire, wrap some item with at least 4' of quality electrical tape that can be unwrapped for use. Ten to 15 rounds of ammo. If at all possible a leatherman tool. Then wrap your sling with as much parachute cord as possible. With these basic items you MIGHT have a chance to live to see your grandkids graduation.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone. Think I will add 2 of those army surpluss double mag pouches you often see on rifles such as the M1 carbine. Those would hold mags or 100 round CCI water proof ammo boxes, if they fit ofcourse. They also add a way to add a sling, which the synthetic stocks dont have.

Ive read about people using foam to fill in these hollow stocks. The idea for a box sounds interesting. I could center the box and fill in the other space with foam. This will stop any noise from items ratteling around (theyd be wrapped in a hankerchief anyways) and help with impact resistance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts