Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Unemployment sucks.
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i know this has probably covered somewhere before, but my searchfoo is weak. Ok so I am looking for a semi auto rifle that is capable of being easily scoped and is acurate out 300 or 400 yards. and in the $300 price range. Am I sufering from wishfull thinking. I am willing to buy civilian, military, build your own exectera. I was considering a sks but i dont think i could get the kinda acuracy i want out of it. Ok guys flame away.

·
Banned
3,760 Posts
The AR15 sounds perfect for you, but it won't fit in your budget I'm affraid. It's easy to scope and accurate on that distances (and not too far beyond).

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts
a used remington 700 in .308

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Put the doobie down. (hey you said flame away;-)

About the only real semi auto sniper rifles you are going to find are the M76 in 8mm mauser or the PSL in 7.62x54R.

1900.00 and 800.00 respectively.

The AR suggestions are good ones. You can get a very nice grade long barreled upper as well. Nothing really on the low end is going to measure up unless you get a bolt action like the 700 already mentioned. Shoot for .308 or 30.06. The reason being many re loaders out there already have dies for these two and if ammo goes away you may still be able to trade to have your brass loaded.

·
Doomsayer
4,048 Posts
A quality scope is going to RUIN your $300 'budget'.

A K98 Mauser is an excellent choice, and should come in around your price, but it will not be scoped.

·
Registered
937 Posts
How about this and you can find them for 100-150 most of the time. The Mosin Nagnat check this video out this guy worked it out to 1000 yards. He has a bunch of video's of other WWII rifles so check it out.

·
Aquaholic
4,905 Posts
ok i know this has probably covered somewhere before, but my searchfoo is weak. Ok so I am looking for a semi auto rifle that is capable of being easily scoped and is acurate out 300 or 400 yards. and in the $300 price range. Am I sufering from wishfull thinking. I am willing to buy civilian, military, build your own exectera. I was considering a sks but i dont think i could get the kinda acuracy i want out of it. Ok guys flame away.
Why semi-auto? Look at the Remington 700 SPS in .308, after rebates and coupond around $400 NIB at D_icks Sporting Goods, comes scoped with a 4-12X40 and already boresighted. If you do your part it'll shoot MOA or less at 100, so 1.5 to 2' at 300-400.

·
Banned
1,092 Posts
I'd go with a savage 110 or 111 "Package Rifles". I had 111 FCX package. It was a .308 with thin sporter barrel and 3-9x Scope. Out of the box, it shot right to .68 MOA AFTER TEN SHOTS (HOT BARREL)! There gaurenteed to shoot .5 MOA out of the box( cold barrel match ammo). It's about $450 new though. Go for though if there goning to be any gun laws passed, one could do alot worse than one of these. In matter a fact I'm going to get one myself heavy barrel .30-06.

Rifleman 336

·
Registered
191 Posts
Suggestion FTW!
Most assalt rifles will do those ranges. But sounds like your looking for something firing 7.62x51 for accuracy and power at range. I have considered the same thing, and apparently, so have most armys.

Your options are:
* Dragnov (or variant) - Russia
* CETEME G3 (or variant) - Germany
* FAL - UK, Argentinia and others
* M14 will do but is expensive - US

Don't buy the Dragnov because it is basically a modified AK and has a lop-sided bolt. Meaning there is significant muzzle flip and follow up shots are harder. The FAL has the same reliability as an AK but not so much flip. It is cheep and so are magazines.

However; my choice is the G3, they have a roller delayed blowback. Meaning that they fire the same speed as a normal rifle but, the recoil is delayed until the bullet has exited the barrel thus greatly increasing accuracy. It is possible to buy the G3 with automatic, it is even controllable. Good condition ones will be as reliable and waterproof as the FAL. It also has a recoil buffer spring like the AR15, this makes follow up shots easier. The venerable PSG1, said to be the finest police rifle is just a modification with a better, but slightly more delicate trigger group. Its basically a larger calibre of the well known MP5. HK doesn’t make them, but the Greeks and make and Indians use them.
But be careful, there are some duds being sold on market in the US. You'll need to do some good research to make sure your manufacturer makes ones that work. I wouldn’t go with Vector.

·
American fearmaker
14,245 Posts
How about an SMLE? You can get them in either .303 British or .308 Winchester. Mount a scope on either of them and you should be good out to 300 or 400 meters with practice. The .303 variants were made in Great Britain. The .308 variants come out of India. Both are bolt action rifles with pretty strong locking mechanisms. The recoil on either of these rifles should be pretty acceptable for just about any shooter out there.

·
Registered
191 Posts
How about an SMLE? You can get them in either .303 British or .308 Winchester. Mount a scope on either of them and you should be good out to 300 or 400 meters with practice. The .303 variants were made in Great Britain. The .308 variants come out of India. Both are bolt action rifles with pretty strong locking mechanisms. The recoil on either of these rifles should be pretty acceptable for just about any shooter out there.
They are the quickest bolt action out there, you can fire above 40 rounds a minute. They are slightly less reliable than a Mauser, but considering a Mauser sacrifices speed for an excess of reliability. The 308s will have better ballistics and ammo availability. They are also cheep enough to fit your budget, i think... Getting a scope mounted could prove tricky.

·
Minarchist (Jeffersonian)
3,306 Posts
they are absolutely great rifles, I own a british(303) and an indian(308), and I have no complaints at all, they are smooth, tight rifles, and are capable of much more than 400 yrds in the right hands, the enfield gets my vote, for what your looking for

·
American fearmaker
14,245 Posts
One other rifle to consider might be a Mauser or Spanish Mauser in .308 caliber with a scope mounted on it. Those rifles can also "reach out to touch somebody" if you mount a decent scope on them.

·
Unemployment sucks.
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
you the perfect gun would be a m14/m1a. But i dont have the cash to spend. hmmmm decisions decisions. The thing is I want one gun that can do almost every thing decently for cheap. i am thinking sks in a scout format might do the trick

1 - 20 of 22 Posts