Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had one of the issue olive drab field jackets M65 in a nyloncotton mix years back and I wore it knocking around until it shrank horizontally.

I liked the material 50/50 nylon cotton mix and I was thinking of putting one away if I ran across one.

Question:
is the field jacket still issued by the U.S. military?

Anyone got any clue or a pic of the label-how do you id the genuine jacket as compared to a copy?

Thanks in advance.

·
Nadafinga!!
2,996 Posts
The Army issues a field jacket that is very similar to the old M65. However, the new one is ACU with velcro on the upper sleeves near the shoulder for patches.

·
Proverbs 22:3
897 Posts
I always hated the field jacket, but the jacket liner is one of the best pieces of gear I ever carried. It went with me everywhere. Always.

·
Beginner's Mind
1,681 Posts
When I got out, I wore my field jacket until it fell off me in tatters. I loved it and thanks to you guys, may buy another.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I wanted a genuine U.S. Govt. issued M65 but only in khaki tan color, I couldn't find one at the time, this was back in the fall of 2005, so I settled on a knock-off M65 khaki tan from Brigade QuarterMasters. I wanted one in khaki tan because I saw so many people with olive drab,woodland camo, black, navy , digital camo, but never saw anyone in person wearing a khaki tan M65.

I double-stitched the right shoulder with cat-gut 2 years ago when the top of the right shoulder seem where the sleeve goes into the shoulder had a 1" tear. It's held ever since. I'm pretty rough with it. I've used it every winter hauling bundles of firewood in.If I could've found a khaki tan M65 Govt. issued coat I would've preferred it but $59 plus $7 shipping was a good deal for the abuse I've put my M65 chinese made coat through.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Have a few M1965 jackets and love the things with all the cargo pockets. They're a direct off-shoot of the M1943 / M1951 Jacket of WW2 & Korean War period. The M65 has the zipper, Velcro and a built in hood. The M43 had buttons (no zipper) with an add-on hood.

The olive drab Green M65 are jackets hard to find now even in reproduction. For the past few years now, the Alpha brand M65 has been made outside of the USA, Have one Alpha M65 in OD that was fabricated in Eqypt with the feel and quality just not up to the old standard. The real American made M65 jackets have a hard finish to the shell material while the foreign made stuff is too soft.

Do have an original USGI green M65 in the closet that I was thinking of placing in the classified section. Think that it's a large size too.

The one that I usually wear is genuine USGI issue in desert camo.

·
Registered
1 Posts
SS number inside sleeves?

I have an m65 olive drab Green US Army field jacket with a name and 9 digit number (SS#) printed inside each cuff under the velcro triangular flap and again underneath where the label should be sewn. I dont think the label was removed there is square stitching in that location but it doesnt appear to have had a label removed?
My question is - was the name and ss number printed for id purposes if KIA? printed on torso and each arm? Any stories or info on this would be appreciated...
Thanks
Chris

·
Kibitzer
6,631 Posts
They marked their coat so they make sure it stayed theirs.
Label could have worn off and left stitching.

I traded my M51 for a M65 to have the zipper and hood.
Wish I kept it, could get M65 anywhere back in 70s.

·
Anyone?
3,673 Posts
The real M65 is made by Alpha.
Knock-offs come in all different colors but aren't the same quality.
I've only been able to find Alpha jackets in woodland camo.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I have had many M65 jackets and the best thing about them is the liners.

I have about 4 liners left and have used up to three liners in the jacket at a time. (-40 temperatures in northern Nevada.)

With the liners they make a good all weather jacket. cool NO liners. really cold 3+ liners.

buy one at least one size bigger then you need to cover for the extra liners if needed.:thumb:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts