Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I am in the process of building a pvc greenhouse. My garden plot measures 15' x 25'.
My main objective is to keep the squirrels and birds off the food. As well as reduce my water usage. This summer is going to be hot, whenever the colder nights stop(~45F).

I have a few ideas about how tall I want it. Since corn is my only "tall" plant, I am looking to keep it short(3ft). This would keep my costs down and allow me to unstake and move it easier, plus the low wind profile.

I think I might want 2 separate houses. Roughly 7' x 13'.

There is a wealth of info out there on this type of project.

Has anyone had any experience constructing or maintaining their "house"? Any suggestions?

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
did a smi PVC last year. This year doing containers and buying a 10X12 Green house from Harbor Freight before fall.

I had to use strong plastic here due to the storms. I don't recall the mil on it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright!

Since they sell PVC in 10' lengths I have adjusted my design.
Basically 20' x 10' x 20' x 10' with an arch of 2 x 10' at the T joint in the middle of the 2 10' links.

8 x 3/4" 10' PVC $7.44
4 L joints $1.16
1 Cross joint $1.22
2 T joints $0.66

TAX: $0.97

So far my total cost is $11.45. I still need to find a suitable sheet plastic to clip onto the frame.

I am looking at this as a solution for the sheet plastic.
4 Mil Clear Plastic Sheeting 20' x 25' ~$19.97

Anyone have any suggestions?

It's warmin up here in L.A. Might have the heirloom seeds in the ground as early as next week!! The compost in ready!!!

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Hope this informatoin isn't useless, I buy something called 'robinson's' greenhouse plastic, 5 yr uv guarantee. I sort of recommend a uv resistant plastic, but I'm under the ozone hole so maybe you don't have uv issues where you are. Robinsons are international. The plastic is rather thick and a little opaque, has a tiny bit of stretch in it. I think it's worth it rather than having to replace plastic every year and I think the cheaper plastics might become brittle and sort of bio-degrade (but as I say, I'm under the ozone hole).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts