Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After watching a ton of stuff on YouTube and Netflix last night, I decided I want to get as far off the grid as possible over the next year. My first major step in that direction is to build a PVC Greenhouse and utilize Aquaponics.

My goal is to breed catfish, shrimp, lobster, and possibly crawfish/crayfish. I don't know how hard that will be, but I'm going to give it a shot. I don't have a lot of space set aside to get it done. In fact, its only an 8x8 foot area (64 sq. ft.).

Once I figure out the aquaponics process, I'll hopefully be able to have two levels inside the greenhouse. One level for fish and another for the plants. Let me know if you have any experience in this department or if you have any advice. It is very much appreciated.

Here is a quick video of the first leg of my project:

·
Banned
5,330 Posts
AFIK there arent any species of lobster or shrimp that are both freshwater and grow at any sort of speed or packing density.

there are freshwater crawfish, but i believe they also have packing density issues too

·
Banned
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AFIK there arent any species of lobster or shrimp that are both freshwater and grow at any sort of speed or packing density.

there are freshwater crawfish, but i believe they also have packing density issues too
Thanks for the info. I've been looking into it and I might just go with Tilapia.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Tilapia would is probably the best fish for you. Catfish will eat anything you put in with it and they will require more room per fish. Only problem we had stocking Tilapia in our ponds is they don't handle water temps below 70 degrees very well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Tilapia would is probably the best fish for you. Catfish will eat anything you put in with it and they will require more room per fish. Only problem we had stocking Tilapia in our ponds is they don't handle water temps below 70 degrees very well.

Interesting, thanks for the info.

·
Banned
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How do you think shrimp would fair and what would be the space constraints? I've never raised fish or shrimp before so I'm open to any help you can give me.

I plan to build the tank in an "L" shape (8Lx3Wx2H) on one side and (6Lx3Wx2H) on the other. Above the tank I'll be building a support for my plants, tilted so it will drain the clean water back into the tanks. Any suggestions at all?

·
Contradiction Personified
244 Posts
Tilapia is great if you are in an area where the tempature doesn't change that much, or get below 60-70 at night. Trout are hardy fish, don't need as much room as catfish, and can handle temp changes really well. Not to mention they are a tasty fish! :D:

Here is a link I found for Backyard Aquaponics. it is based out of Australia, but has many USA people on the site as well.

http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/

Here is a link for a couple that turned an old empty pool in their backyard into an aquaponics greenhouse. They use many different levels, and containers and might be able to give some ideas as well.

http://gardenpool.org/

I think the Backyard Aquaponics link will help you the most. There still might be a link on there (can't find it atm) where you can watch a video of how to make an aquaponics station from an IBC tote. Doesn't take much space. However, there is a TON of information there as well as info for different workshops, how-to's, etc.

Good luck, and look forward to seeing more updates! :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Shrimp that are large enough to eat are for the most part out of the question. You would need brackish water at minimum. This water would have to high of a salt content for a lot of plants. Fresh water shrimp are generally very very small. Crawfish would be a good candidate if you were doing a small pond. Tilapia, Blue Gill, White Perch, and small Trout are probably your best bet. White Perch and blue gill are hardy fish and survive all over North America regardless of temperature. They also breed quickly, taste great and are fun to catch for stocking your garden. They also do well in small environments as long as oxygen levels are high enough.

·
Banned
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Shrimp that are large enough to eat are for the most part out of the question. You would need brackish water at minimum. This water would have to high of a salt content for a lot of plants. Fresh water shrimp are generally very very small. Crawfish would be a good candidate if you were doing a small pond.
Thanks to someone on another thread, I found 55 gallon drums for $15, so I'll be able to keep multiple fish now. I plan to buy 8 this week when their next shipment comes in. Crawfish will definitely be something I want to look into. Do you happen to know where I can get some live ones?

Tilapia, Blue Gill, White Perch, and small Trout are probably your best bet. White Perch and blue gill are hardy fish and survive all over North America regardless of temperature. They also breed quickly, taste great and are fun to catch for stocking your garden. They also do well in small environments as long as oxygen levels are high enough.
I'm considering trout, perch, and tilapia, in addition to catfish. The problem I'm running into after calling around is finding them live. I may have to go to the lake and put in some time. I guess now I have an excuse to go fishing.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm not sure where you can buy them alive near Las Vegas. You can buy them by the 30 lb sack in Louisiana during crawfish season. Check with a local bait shop. If they are available in your area a bait shop will know. They can be placed in the same tank with Tilapia and Perch with little worry about the fish eating them.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I hope you don't mind me asking some questions. I have designed and built greenhouses, including aquaponic systems.
Have you thought out the need for cooling? Setting up any size greenhouse in full sun in Vegas will cause you to use a lot of energy cooling your system.
Secondly, why a greenhouse in Vegas? The link to http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/ is a great source for how to set up aquaponics in a hot sunny climate. Rarely do the aussies contain their systems in an enclosed greenhouse. You could save yourself $$$$ by growing horizontally on the wall that I see in your video. There are quite a few examples of this kind of system @ the link. I have one in my greenhouse, along the sunny side, to grow greens. I used PVC fence post covers, drilled with 3" wholes and mounted at a very slight slant, which drain into each other and then into a sump that pumps the water back into the fish tank. It's one of the two pumps that I use. You could just let it drain right into the tanks.
Anyway, shade will be your need NOT enclosure. I've worked in greenhouses when it was 20 outside and 70 inside a sunny double poly greenhouse.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Shrimp that are large enough to eat are for the most part out of the question. You would need brackish water at minimum. This water would have to high of a salt content for a lot of plants. Fresh water shrimp are generally very very small. Crawfish would be a good candidate if you were doing a small pond. Tilapia, Blue Gill, White Perch, and small Trout are probably your best bet. White Perch and blue gill are hardy fish and survive all over North America regardless of temperature. They also breed quickly, taste great and are fun to catch for stocking your garden. They also do well in small environments as long as oxygen levels are high enough.
Actually not 100 percent true. If started you young could ween the shrimp off of salt water a little bit at a time. I have read various articles about this and if your interested PM me and I will do the research for you on some of the articles i have.

·
Banned
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
145 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Jean raises the shrimp for her own consumption but there are many places to purchase the ,
not sure what the young are called. the link I gave you I think gives you a list of places to order from.
If you need more Ill do some research or I can ask her

1 - 20 of 29 Posts