Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Deplorable Freedom Zealot
3,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got an unusual e-mail from Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP)

Specifically from Canadian Firearms Program (CFP) offering online renewal of firearms license.

I suspect this is a scam to gain credit card/payment info.

I did not click any links in the e-mail.

I did a search on the phone number listed in e-mail for further contact information, and got hits for several outfitters, hunting lodges, etc. for contact info on CFP about bringing a firearm to Canada for a hunt.

AAA even listed the phone number on info for hunters going to Canada with firearms.

The phone number seems legit also.

Has anyone here in U.S. gotten an e-mail from RCMP CFP regarding firearm registration?

Very puzzling.

·
Longbowman
Yes
4,962 Posts
That's odd.

No idea why the RCMP would be calling someone from Georgia about a license renewal. The only thing I can think is that someone submitted your email to the Canadian government for whatever reason.

·
3,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's odd.

No idea why the RCMP would be calling someone from Georgia about a license renewal. The only thing I can think is that someone submitted your email to the Canadian government for whatever reason.
That certainly is concerning.

Should I contact local authorities about this?

·
Longbowman
Yes
4,962 Posts
If you haven't ever transported a rifle up here for hunting, that could be a reason as well. But if you have never done that, then I would definitely investigate as to what is going on. As far as it being a scam, I have received phone calls/emails from alot of different people claiming to be from various companies, but never from someone claiming to be from the RCMP, addressing a license renewal. They may be targeting people in the US because firearms are far more prevalent there than they are up here. But the big question is how did they acquire your email address.

·
3,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you haven't ever transported a rifle up here for hunting, that could be a reason as well. But if you have never done that, then I would definitely investigate as to what is going on. As far as it being a scam, I have received phone calls/emails from alot of different people claiming to be from various companies, but never from someone claiming to be from the RCMP, addressing a license renewal. They may be targeting people in the US because firearms are far more prevalent there than they are up here. But the big question is how did they acquire your email address.
Thanks for responding.

I just noticed you are in Canada.

It's been 50 years sine I visited Canada, and did not hunt.

The phone number in e-mail for CFP is 800-731-4000 which comes up as a
seemingly legit phone number for Canadian Firearms Program.

·
Longbowman
Yes
4,962 Posts
Hey, not a problem.

I have had my own phone number call me before. It turned out to be someone with a deep Indian accent, trying to convince me that my bank had a data breach & that they were seeking information to "determine" whether my account was one of the ones affected. Its apparently called spoofing (yes, I had to look it up lol), scammers have technology that can make the number calling into whatever they want it to be.

If there are any follow up emails and/or phone calls, they perhaps contacting authorities would be a good idea. But personally, I would just let it be until that happens.

Just my 2 cents.

·
D. Gibbons is a bad man
5,701 Posts
I got an unusual e-mail from Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP)

Specifically from Canadian Firearms Program (CFP) offering online renewal of firearms license.

I suspect this is a scam to gain credit card/payment info.

I did not click any links in the e-mail.

I did a search on the phone number listed in e-mail for further contact information, and got hits for several outfitters, hunting lodges, etc. for contact info on CFP about bringing a firearm to Canada for a hunt.

AAA even listed the phone number on info for hunters going to Canada with firearms.

The phone number seems legit also.

Has anyone here in U.S. gotten an e-mail from RCMP CFP regarding firearm registration?

Very puzzling.
Its not unusual for scam emails to have valid telephone numbers as it’s often the first item checked by the recipient. Let’s be honest few would call it as you can expect to be in queues.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I usually just delete puzzling emails. I did have a puzzling phone message and called the number via Google Hangouts so as not to encourage a followup. It turned out to be a collection agency so I just hung up. I don't know if Google Hangouts is still a viable option but it came in handy a couple of times in the past.

·
Generator Wrangler
3,824 Posts
Did ya hear the one about the blind Mountie who tied his whistle to a tree and blew his horse?

·
3,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its not unusual for scam emails to have valid telephone numbers as it’s often the first item checked by the recipient. Let’s be honest few would call it as you can expect to be in queues.
I cross checked the links provided in the e-mail at RCMP/CFP website, and they too seem legit.

Of course, a link can look legit, and still have a bug in it.

Financial transaction info could be skimmed when one enters payment for the renewal.

·
Born 120 years too late.
4,506 Posts
IF YOU booked with an outfitter for some future hunt, maybe in this day and age they are doing things differently.
BUT
I have hunted a fair bit in Canada and for a while I was doing it yearly and I never had a contact about anything regarding redoing my permits.

IT is a fairly straight forward process you do at the border and if you filled out the paperwork beforehand it takes about 15 minutes to get through.

Sounds weird.

Reactions: bonegunner

·
Banned
679 Posts
I got a weird call once. When I picked up it was was Dee dee Warwick's "You're no good" playing.

I suspect it's one of the ex's.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts