Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
BEEN HERE TO LONG
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I KNOW ALL OF US HAVE ALOT INVESTED IN ARE PREPS.I WAS THINKING IF YOU HAVE A FIRE GOD FORBID IT WOULD BE LOST.NO WHAT I THINK I WILL DO IS THINGS I HAVE MORE THAN ONE OF,IS TO STORE THEM AT A DIFFERNT LOCAL. LIKE MY SHED, RENT A STOREAGE BUILDING OR MAYBE EVEN BUILD A SHED IF YOU CAN. LOOK I HAVE 20 SOME KNIVES DO I NEED THEM ALL AT MY HOUSE? OK ILL SHUT UP YOU GET THE POINT LOL. :thumb:

·
To secure peace is to...
4,194 Posts
I think dispersing your items is a good idea, but I have homeowner's insurance in case of a fire. I make sure that my "contents" part of the policy will cover replacing not only all of my crap (TV, furniture, dishes, etc) but my preps as well...

·
To secure peace is to...
4,194 Posts
Beware of public storage locations for valuables like your preps. In a "civil disturbance situation" these will be looted quickly.
I've always feared that. I have dispersed some of mine over my entire house and I keep some at my parents' house. I want to be able to get to them if we get a 5' snow or flooding or whatever without having to drive to do so. Plus, more locations equals more preventative measures to protect it and also exposes you more to the public.

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
It's strange how often a thread will pop up that covers something I was just discussing with someone.;)
Just this morning, we were talking about keeping our mylared buckets
( bucketed mylar ? :rolleyes:) stored at either end of the house in case of a fire. I also have dropped a couple off for safe keeping at both brothers houses.
So I'd say your concerns are well founded, and you'd be wise to disperse your vital/cool stuff.

·
BEEN HERE TO LONG
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Insurance

i think dispersing your items is a good idea, but i have homeowner's insurance in case of a fire. I make sure that my "contents" part of the policy will cover replacing not only all of my crap (tv, furniture, dishes, etc) but my preps as well...
i dont think my insurance will pay me for 20,000 rounds of ammo or what my gun are worth most will only pay 2,500 no matter how many guns you have.

·
To secure peace is to...
4,194 Posts
i dont think my insurance will pay me for 20,000 rounds of ammo or what my gun are worth most will only pay 2,500 no matter how many guns you have.
My policy is setup to pay me one large lump sum for "contents." If I feel that I need more, I can pay more in my policy. I can also have the guns assessed as an additional "luxury" item in policy and it can be insured separately but I will NOT do that. Just one more list my cashe shouldn't be on.

·
Scarred for life...
3,295 Posts
Security is very very important here.

If you can store your preps in multiple locations safely good but most people cant.

I bought a large job box and use it to store most of my valuable items in. They are heavy and will hold a huge amount of "things".

The lock in the weak point though. They are designed to hold a Master Number 5 lock. I use this, but also have the lock covered by a sheath which is in turn locked again with a bump proof lock. The metal is thick and the hinges are all inside the box so it would take a lot of work to get into them without the keys.

As for my other preps I have a large shelf that holds quite a bit. It isnt full but I could probably store two years worth of food on it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts