Survivalist Forum banner
8K views 31 replies 14 participants last post by  MikeK 
#1 · (Edited)
Put up a few things in mylar zip bags today. First time I've used the zip locks.

Be sure to get the "dust" from things like oatmeal from where you make your seal. Same with standard mylar.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Congrats I just did my first mylar job in Feb, I had some dehydrated potatoes that poked holes in my mylar(sharp edges), learned to leave more air in the bags so they dont over compress. Check out the LTS time for brown sugar and powdered cheese I dont know if you get the 20+ year storage on those. May want to permanent marker some data on the mylar as well labels can fade/run if get damp/or just come off. All in all looks great, I hope to do some more LTS in a couple of weeks.

#3 · (Edited)
Don't think brown sugar, or coffee creamer will last 20. Not sure about the cheese. We'll see, lol. Glad you learned to leave some air in the bags. I've learned that over time. MikeK can tell you about my spaghetti......

Leaving a bit of air in the bag won't hurt. It's why I and others here suggest leaving a bit of head space in the bag. The o2's will still do their job and remove the oxygen. Only nitrogen remains.

I store my supplies in a cool dry space, in buckets, and Rubber Made type totes. Not too worried about moisture. But hey....one never knows!

#4 ·
Don't think brown sugar, or coffee creamer will last 20. Not sure about the cheese. We'll see, lol. Glad you learned to leave some air in the bags. I've learned that over time. MikeK can tell you about my spaghetti......:eek::

Leaving a bit of air in the bag won't hurt. It's why I and others here suggest leaving a bit of head space in the bag. The o2's will still do their job and remove the oxygen. Only nitrogen remains.

I store my supplies in a cool dry space, in buckets, and Rubber Made type totes. Not too worried about moisture. But hey....one never knows!
Good job, Tx! So what's the dealio with permanent marker/sharpie on the bags? Is it bad for the contents somehow or does it fade quickly?

This post has been deleted
#17 ·
Does your company offer a prepper oriented nitrogen food packing setup? Small, rechargeable container, three/four foot hose, valve, long "rod" type nozzle that's about 18 inches long to reach the bottom of a five gallon bucket? Seems there'd be a ready market for something like that if it was affordable.

And if there IS something affordable out there by all means, I'd love to know what/where/how much.

#22 ·
Read this link, bay leaves are underrated and they do much more than keep bugs out. Here are a few high lights of what they do.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bay_leaf

1. Bay leaves can also be scattered in a pantry to repel meal moths,[5] flies, roaches, and silverfish.

2. The leaves discourage the growth of moulds.

3. Bay leaves have many properties that make them useful for treating high blood sugar, migraine headaches, bacterial and fungal infections, and gastric ulcers. Bay leaves and berries have been used for their astringent, carminative, diaphoretic, digestive, diuretic, emetic and stomachic properties.

4. Bay oil, or oil of bays (oleum lauri) is used in liniments for bruises and sprains. Bay leaf has been used as an herbal remedy for headaches. It contains compounds, called parthenolides, which have proven useful in the treatment of migraines. Bay leaf has also been shown to help the body process insulin more efficiently, which leads to lower blood sugar levels. It has also been used to reduce the effects of stomach ulcers. Bay leaf contains eugenol, which has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Bay leaf is also an antifungal and antibacterial, and has also been used to treat rheumatism, amenorrhea, and colic.

#31 ·
I am completely new to the storage of food for long term.
I have been sealing pastas, boxed/bagged soup mixes, drink mixes, beans, rice, flour, salt, sugar, and lots of other shelf stable stuff.

But I need to know if what I am doing is half way right.

I have been putting all this stuff in my regular sealing bags and then putting them in Mylar, without any oxygen absorber.....will this work?

any help will be appreciated

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.